Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax MX Hot Shoe Size

I am looking into buying a decorative hot shoe cover for a Pentax MX. The ad says it fits K5, K3, K70, K30, K50,... basically any Pentax DSLR. My question? Does anyone know if the hot shoe size is the same for the MX?

01-08-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see why it wouldn't be. As far as I know, most hot shoes on common cameras you'll find are very nearly the same. The hot shoe on the P3t I have is the same (physical dimensions at least) as the hot shoe on my K-3II so I think you'll be fine.
01-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
As far as I know, most hot shoes on common cameras you'll find are very nearly the same.
The basic hot shoe specification is an ISO standard and while manufacturers comply with that standard, there is some variation across and even within brands. That said, the cover that came with my K-3 is identical to that which came with my K10D. It also is a perfect and tailored* fit on my Super Program, KX (film), Spotmatic F, and Spotmatic II bodies. I would assume that the same would be true for MX (film) and MX-1 digital oops! No has shoe.

Steve

* Meaning that it mates perfectly to adjoining trim, the rear entry angle of the rails, and shoe depth.

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-08-2020 at 09:59 PM.
01-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No reason why it wouldn't fit. My Yongnuo manual flash fits my K-5 and film bodies (Pentax and Canikon).

01-09-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax hot-shoe covers have a cutaway on the left-hand side, this is to do with a microswitch in the front left-hand corner of the shoe of some cameras. Might be worth double-checking your hot-shoe if the replacement cover is non-Pentax.
01-09-2020, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is an OEM Pentax DSLR hotshoe cover on an MX; it fits fine on both my MXs.

01-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to Film SLR Discussion forum

01-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #8

This decorative cover fits (and looks) fine on my film era Pentax Program Plus or Minolta X-700:

01-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Pentax hot-shoe covers have a cutaway on the left-hand side, this is to do with a microswitch in the front left-hand corner of the shoe of some cameras.
Interesting! I have wondered about the cutout. What would be the purpose of the microswitch? Do you know what generation body's might have the switch?

Steve
01-11-2020, 02:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Interesting! I have wondered about the cutout. What would be the purpose of the microswitch? Do you know what generation body's might have the switch?
Steve

I don't have a very wide range of Pentax slr's, but of those I do own, the P30t does not have the switch, the *ist film camera, the *ist DS and *ist DL2 all do have the switch, then the K-5, the K-70 and the KP don't have the switch, though the K-5 appears to have a hole where one was designed to be fitted.

Obviously something to do with sensing the presence of an accessory in the hot-shoe, but I've no real idea as to what, exactly.

Last edited by kypfer; 01-11-2020 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Incorrect data :(
01-11-2020, 07:35 AM   #11

Obviously something to do with sensing the presence of an accessory in the hot-shoe, but I've no real idea as to what, exactly.
Probably to disable the auto popup flash.
01-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

Spot-on ... at least on my *ist DL2
01-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have hot-shoe covers incorporating a spirit level bubble - fit all my bodies perfectly.
01-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't have a very wide range of Pentax slr's, but of those I do own, the P30t does not have the switch, the *ist film camera, the *ist DS and *ist DL2 all do have the switch, then the K-5, the K-70 and the KP don't have the switch, though the K-5 appears to have a hole where one was designed to be fitted.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I did a visual survey of my film Pentax SLRs having hot shoes. I also did continuity testing on each using a Hot Shoe Adapter F to depress the pin(s). The visual results run like this:
  • Spotmatic II: switches both sides
  • Spotmatic F: switches both sides
  • KX: switches both sides
  • Super Program: switch on left side only
For all models, the hot shoe is only active when a device is attached such that one or both pins are depressed. PC connectors for both X and FP (when supported) sync remained active regardless of hot shoe state.

Steve
01-13-2020, 03:55 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I did a visual survey of my film Pentax SLRs having hot shoes. I also did continuity testing on each using a Hot Shoe Adapter F to depress the pin(s). The visual results run like this:
  • Spotmatic II: switches both sides
  • Spotmatic F: switches both sides
  • KX: switches both sides
  • Super Program: switch on left side only
For all models, the hot shoe is only active when a device is attached such that one or both pins are depressed. PC connectors for both X and FP (when supported) sync remained active regardless of hot shoe state.

Steve
Though that doesn’t give any hints about the pop up flash disabling

-Eric