Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2020, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man, that camera and case look brand new! If the camera is rare, how much rarer to find one that mint! Ya done good.

01-09-2020, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very, very nice find. Get it a CLA and shoot some film. It deserves to be fed...
01-09-2020, 04:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. It’s much appreciated. I still can’t get over finding this camera and the fact of how mint it is. A few people mentioned a CLA. not sure what that is. Can someone enlighten me?
01-09-2020, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cleaned, Lubricated, and Adjusted, I think. (Or was it Crushed, Lost, and Abandoned?)

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 01-09-2020 at 04:49 PM. Reason: .
01-09-2020, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rejd Quote
Thanks for all the replies. It’s much appreciated. I still can’t get over finding this camera and the fact of how mint it is. A few people mentioned a CLA. not sure what that is. Can someone enlighten me?
It stands for Clean, Lubricate, and Adjust. It's American for "servicing"
Take it in to a qualified camera repair centre for a good going over.
01-09-2020, 08:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok great. I emailed Sun Camera here in Canada and will see what they say. Not sure if they are the best or not. I did find the post about Pentax repair and I believe they are the only authorized dealers in Canada. I did find when opening the back that the shutter curtain doesn’t close all the way. I need to pull it a bit to get it to close. Hopefully this would be an easy repair.
01-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ok great. I emailed Sun Camera here in Canada and will see what they say. Not sure if they are the best or not. I did find the post about Pentax repair and I believe they are the only authorized dealers in Canada. I did find when opening the back that the shutter curtain doesn’t close all the way. I need to pull it a bit to get it to close. Hopefully this would be an easy repair.
Welcome aboard and what a great find!
Looks like the twin to my AP . . .

My AP needed some TLC and here in the USA, the goto Pentax guy is Eric @ Pentax Camera Repair. He restored it to factory new.

01-09-2020, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a rare model, but it is old and things dry out. I have the K version that followed, and even though it had been serviced, a curtain ribbon let go. My suggestion is not to use the camera until it has been serviced (CLA) by someone who knows these old film cameras. Don't assume modern repair facilities have the know-how or parts. You can look up Erik Hendriksen on this forum as an expert. However, he is getting on and may be cutting back on repairs.
01-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
This is a rare model, but it is old and things dry out. I have the K version that followed, and even though it had been serviced, a curtain ribbon let go. My suggestion is not to use the camera until it has been serviced (CLA) by someone who knows these old film cameras. Don't assume modern repair facilities have the know-how or parts. You can look up Erik Hendriksen on this forum as an expert. However, he is getting on and may be cutting back on repairs.
I tried looking up Erik Hendriksen but only found one other post mentioning that he fixed a camera. I cannot find a way to contact him.
01-12-2020, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

pentaxrepairs@aol.com

Home-Pentaxs

K.
01-12-2020, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I tried looking up Erik Hendriksen but only found one other post mentioning that he fixed a camera. I cannot find a way to contact him.
Here's a thread about him -> Pentax repair by Eric Hendrickson
01-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Awesome. Thanks all. I got in touch with him.
01-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I sent off the camera to Eric for a CLA and to see if the shutter issue can be resolved. I will post an update once it is returned.
01-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Eric now has the camera. $245 or a CLA and repair the shutter issue. I think that is very reasonable. Looking forward to getting it back!
01-22-2020, 06:07 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Welcome to the forum. This forum is trying to collect all 4000 Pentax S models. You have fullfilled an important quest! Mine is currently lost in bubble wrap somewhere after a move.
I only have 32 registered serial numbers for the S. Guess there are still some out there...