Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New lenses on a manual camera?

Not sure that I'd actually use this, but I'm curious: If I were to put a modern AF lens, say the 50mm 1.4 FA, on my old k1000 would it be usable, given the aperture ring and focus ring?

Further, would newer digital-only lenses still be able to function with the body, ignoring vignetting issues?

Of course the AF won't work, I'm just interested in manual operation. I guess you'd call it forwards-compatibility rather than backwards-compatibility.

10-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Forum Member

50mm - yes, it has a focusing ring and aperture ring
Digital-only - only if they have an aperture ring.
10-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Any lens with an aperture ring will work. Those without may mount, but will expose at maximum aperture. Most of the DA lenses suffer from some degree of vignette when mounted on 35mm cameras and a few actually leave the corners black with a curved border.

Steve
10-24-2008, 03:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To make Steve's statement a bit more precise: Many DA lenses may suffer vignetting, usually the zooms at their wide end. Some DA lenses are fine with film - these days, film being retro frees us to experiment (Holga anyone?) without being so careful...

I use my Takumars and my DA's both on a Program Plus, and it works great with both. Any body with a prorgram mode does...

10-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by mudman Quote
50mm - yes, it has a focusing ring and aperture ring
Digital-only - only if they have an aperture ring.
There are also the FAJ lenses which are for film / FF and does not have an aperture ring. So not only for digital. Even more, can be used on KA Pentax mount cameras (P series and A series too).
10-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #6

And with the PZ-1(P) you can set the aperture on the lenses manually thanks to its Hyper Manual mode and dual control wheels, la KX0D.

(I really gotta get me a PZ-1P someday...)
10-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
To make Steve's statement a bit more precise: Many DA lenses may suffer vignetting, usually the zooms at their wide end. Some DA lenses are fine with film - these days, film being retro frees us to experiment (Holga anyone?) without being so careful...

I use my Takumars and my DA's both on a Program Plus, and it works great with both. Any body with a prorgram mode does...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-photography-knowledge-base/34878-d...est-shots.html
10-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #8

Here are mine : 18-55 DA on Pentax P50 (non-AF camera!) in program mode

Forum Fotomozaic / Obiectiv Pentax-DA 18-55 pe camera "full frame"

From about 25mm until 55mm no heavy fignetting is present.

10-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
There are also the FAJ lenses which are for film / FF and does not have an aperture ring. So not only for digital. Even more, can be used on KA Pentax mount cameras (P series and A series too).
But the original poster asked about a k1000, so my answer is still right for his camera.
10-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still good to know about the other cameras, as I may be considering a film body as backup for digital. Probably not my old K1000.