Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
No problem. Just some quick comparisons for you (excuse the hurried/awful photos).
The MX is actually a tick smaller/lighter than my Zorki 4.
KX shown too, as well as MX on winder grip.
Cheers and have fun.

One more thing to add: The MX doesn't necessarily bring anything new to the table over the K1000 in terms of advanced features. It does have niceties like DoF preview, a self timer, a shutter lock and ability to attach a winder, and though the meter readout is via LED it's essentially the same, showing over+/-under values. And it does all this in a much smaller and nice package with a giant viewfinder. The match-needle system to of the KX is more refined - some prefer it, some do not. I really don't lean either way (the LX meter is perfection to me, combining the best of both the KX and MX).

Anyhow, just mentioning that to illustrate that the MX is considerably smaller with some added convenience but in terms of photographic ability it's really not terribly different, still a mechanical and manually operated body.

Im just now seeing your post, trying to get caught up.... the MX versus the Zorki!!!!!! MUCH smaller. Yeah, I understand that it doesn't have much over the k1000. I just feel like the k1000 is alittle clunky. IDK, maybe I'm just having a case of G.A.S. especially when it comes to that all black MX. The LX would be a nice addition, I've just read stuff about the electronics failing, and I don't want to have to deal with that. I do enjoy shooting with my canon 5D when second shooting weddings, I don't mind using auto focus. For some reason I tend to use my k1000 and zorki 4 more out of all of my camera's. Maybe after getting the MX I will find its very similar to the k1000 and find its not what I wanted after all..

---------- Post added 01-10-20 at 02:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Outside of Pentax and for small size you could consider a Minolta XD, fabulous small camera with aperture and shutter priority, small size. Be wary the electronics in it can be rogue but there are good ones out there. Aim for a late model if at all possible.

Nikon FM and FE are apt to be pricey.

OM1 is nice and compact, reliable and mostly mechanical. Older ones can suffer meter failure and very old ones can suffer prism desilvering if no one has cleaned the cruddy foam out of them. Used to be my personal favourite but its been pushed out by the Minolta XD7.

Canon I dont much like on the whole. Had an EOS when it came out, hated the feel of it and it was a horror for faults, AE1 is a bit too plastic fantastic for my taste and handles like a dog especially if you want smooth DOF control. The only Canon I have recently grown to love is the FTb, very smooth, built like a tank and all mechanical but its a beast of a camera in size and weight.

Pentax KX, about the same as the Canon FTb but more refined. Still a beast with tank like construction.

Price may be different as all these seem to vary country to country.

I think you need to decide what it is you actually want to use it for...is it a trip down memory lane, a passion for old tin, a devotion to film, curiosity, art etc and how much do you want to spend. WARNING a passion for old cameras can seriously damage your wealth. I started off picking up a KX in a charity shop now I have a whole collection of the damn things and never get to spend anytime taking photos as I am too busy fixing them and too poor to afford film as I have to spend every penny on restoration

As for use... I use film for personal stuff I guess. I shoot photos of the kids at times. Family vacations, road trips with the wife.... Recently started to use the k1000 for double exposure. I'd like to get into street stuff, I'm just not that fast yet with focusing, and alittle shy. I have some projects and zines in mind, and I'd like to be able to shoot them on film. I also have a darkroom, and learning how to print B&W. The k1000 is able to do all that I need really. Its just clunky, and I'd like to get something that is a step or two up from a student camera.

01-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you like the K1000, you'll like the KX. Spotmatics are similar in form, but with the M42 mount. All probably could be used as zombie survival tools...

I should really fix my OM2n, it is a nice little package, with a good viewfinder and good optics. My solution to fixing it was to get the MX, which in my mind is the combination of the OM series and my Spotmatic.

There are some nice pieces found in the other families, but re-using the lenses you own is a good value add.

I do find that all these cameras (pentax and other brands) all have their own little quirks. OM with the shutter speed location, KX with the light meter activation, Nikon with the being overpriced, etc. Only way to see what fits your use best is to actually use the camera. That's been my experience - the numbers on paper are all interesting, and hearing other peoples thoughts are very useful, but until you actually pick up the camera, it's all theoretical.
01-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpottyReputation Quote
If you like the K1000, you'll like the KX. Spotmatics are similar in form, but with the M42 mount. All probably could be used as zombie survival tools...

I should really fix my OM2n, it is a nice little package, with a good viewfinder and good optics. My solution to fixing it was to get the MX, which in my mind is the combination of the OM series and my Spotmatic.

There are some nice pieces found in the other families, but re-using the lenses you own is a good value add.

I do find that all these cameras (pentax and other brands) all have their own little quirks. OM with the shutter speed location, KX with the light meter activation, Nikon with the being overpriced, etc. Only way to see what fits your use best is to actually use the camera. That's been my experience - the numbers on paper are all interesting, and hearing other peoples thoughts are very useful, but until you actually pick up the camera, it's all theoretical.
I hear what your saying..

Was hoping for maybe some guidance over where to go next from the k1000.
01-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by craveone Quote
Im just now seeing your post, trying to get caught up.... the MX versus the Zorki!!!!!! MUCH smaller. Yeah, I understand that it doesn't have much over the k1000. I just feel like the k1000 is alittle clunky. IDK, maybe I'm just having a case of G.A.S. especially when it comes to that all black MX. The LX would be a nice addition, I've just read stuff about the electronics failing, and I don't want to have to deal with that. I do enjoy shooting with my canon 5D when second shooting weddings, I don't mind using auto focus. For some reason I tend to use my k1000 and zorki 4 more out of all of my camera's. Maybe after getting the MX I will find its very similar to the k1000 and find its not what I wanted after all..

---------- Post added 01-10-20 at 02:18 PM ----------

As for use... I use film for personal stuff I guess. I shoot photos of the kids at times. Family vacations, road trips with the wife.... Recently started to use the k1000 for double exposure. I'd like to get into street stuff, I'm just not that fast yet with focusing, and alittle shy. I have some projects and zines in mind, and I'd like to be able to shoot them on film. I also have a darkroom, and learning how to print B&W. The k1000 is able to do all that I need really. Its just clunky, and I'd like to get something that is a step or two up from a student camera.
The MX is a really nice travel camera.
I use mine with the SMC-M 24-35 when I want to travel with film, and it’s terrific.
The MX is really an upgrade over the K1000. It has depth of field preview, a self timer, an enormous viewfinder, aperture display in the viewfinder, and the compact size (it can also take a motor drive if you’re so inclined).
The KX is the same size as the K1000 but has the depth of field preview, aperture in the viewfinder, and timer. It’s also a bit more advanced than the K1000, but more like it than the MX is.
If you want something a step up from those functionally, I’d suggest the Super A/ Super Program. That’s the first taste of full program exposure, and it has ttl flash.

-Eric

01-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Ok, so keep in mind that the K1000 is a camera i've never actually used.

If you require the size of the K1000 (large hands, use with gloves, need to break down drawbridges), i would suggest taking a closer look at the KX. K2 if in good shape is also a consideration.

If you're looking for something a little more portable, i will endorse your desire for an MX. It's a beautiful little camera, and you can use the current lenses you have now. Pair it with some M-class lenses, (or what is it, the DA-40mm?) and you'll have a (slightly) more modern camera, with all the features of the K1000 and then some, in a more portable package.

I like my Olympus, but... the MX has most of what I was looking for in that. No A mode though, you'd need to look at some of the other Pentax models for that. In my personal world, i'm pretty sure the MX is going to be my go-to SLR moving forward. Well, until I can get my 6x7 MLU

Only my 5 cents worth of course.

I hear what your saying..

Was hoping for maybe some guidance over where to go next from the k1000.
01-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpottyReputation Quote
Ok, so keep in mind that the K1000 is a camera i've never actually used.

If you require the size of the K1000 (large hands, use with gloves, need to break down drawbridges), i would suggest taking a closer look at the KX. K2 if in good shape is also a consideration.

If you're looking for something a little more portable, i will endorse your desire for an MX. It's a beautiful little camera, and you can use the current lenses you have now. Pair it with some M-class lenses, (or what is it, the DA-40mm?) and you'll have a (slightly) more modern camera, with all the features of the K1000 and then some, in a more portable package.

I like my Olympus, but... the MX has most of what I was looking for in that. No A mode though, you'd need to look at some of the other Pentax models for that. In my personal world, i'm pretty sure the MX is going to be my go-to SLR moving forward. Well, until I can get my 6x7 MLU

Only my 5 cents worth of course.
6X7 is on my list as well. That SHUTTER!!!!!!

I think I'll be happy with the MX. I only have one A lens out of the three that I have. And with the size of the MX, I could see using the 28 with it mostly.. unless I found a pancake 40 at a good price. Just to have a lens and body I could fit in a coat pocket would be nice...
01-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's all a personal thing. I've never quite liked the size of the K1000. I had one for years n years but never used it often - though it was certainly the gateway camera back into film. I always had it kicking around before that but sold it about a year after I bought an MX. The MX on the other hand became my fast favorite within a week of picking one up (a black one, not the one shown, is my main - poor guy is very, very beat up now but just keep chugging along). The MX handles very differently from the K1000 for certain. The LX handles even better, but mine is one of those that has PCB issues - it's not horrible and I still shoot it but the AE isn't trustworthy unless I'm always paying strict attention to what the metering lights are doing (there's some tell-tale signs I recognize now but I've wasted many a frame getting to know them). KX is sized like the K1000 - I love its meter (though wish it was more visible in lowlight) and its DoF button, but not its overall handling. Many people feel the opposite, preferring the KX to the MX. Again, it's a personal thing.

Anyhow. Good luck with whichever you wind up with. Report back.

01-11-2020, 02:40 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
Hi @Craveone -- Have some experiences that might help. When I told a few friends I was getting back into film photography, they gave me a bunch of their old cameras, so I've gathered a lot of experience in a short time.

First of all, the lenses are really the important bits. The camera is just a box to trap the light the lens delivers, and they all do the job pretty well. To me, the camera affects ease of handling and the speed at which you can capture images; the quality of those images is in the lens. I'm not much of a perfectionist when it comes to image quality, and I find all the name-brand lenses to be pretty darn good, so if you have lenses you like, a Pentax or K-mount compatible is a good idea. That said, it's not like a 28 and 50 are expensive to buy if you switch brands.

Pentax KX is my first SLR and my baseline, and I've yet to find a camera that does things significantly better. As a K1000 shooter it'll be familiar and improved -- I prefer match-needle metering, and the DOF preview and mirror lock up are nice to have. That said, I also had an MG (it's around somewhere, can't find it), which was ap-priority only, and I appreciated its lighter weight compared to the KX. The MX would give you the best of both worlds, though no automatic mode. (I was given a broken MX and it's in the shop now. Can't wait to shoot with it.)

Another interesting camera I was given is the Ricoh KR-10, and it's one you might want to consider. Bigger than the MX and not quite as solid feeling as the KX (I think the top/bottom caps are plastic), but it takes Pentax lenses, has match-needle metering, manual shutter speeds down to 4 seconds (vs 1 for the KX), electronic vertical metal-leaf shutter like the automatic M-srs cameras (as opposed to clockwork horiz. cloth shutter on KX and MX) and an ap-priority automatic mode that will shoot even longer exposures -- and like you said, it's nice to point-and-shoot sometimes. Biggest downside: You have to hold the shutter button halfway down to get a meter reading. I've only shot one roll with it but am taking it out again this week. It's an intriguing camera, not my favorite to use but has a great feature set.

Another gift was a Nikkormat FT2. I could never stand the folks who thought Nikon was a gift from heaven, but it's a nifty camera -- weighs a ton (and remember, I have a KX!) and the ring-mounted shutter speed setting is weird, as is the dance you have to do when you mount a new lens... but it takes nice pictures, and as it has the fastest lens I own (50/1.4) I've come to really rely on it. It has a +/- meter like the K1000, which I don't like, but there's an external display for the meter which is great for candid photos. I have a Nikon FE also, given to me in non-working condition -- it's in the shop and I am looking forward to using it. FE could become a go-to camera as the lenses really are beautiful. Maybe those Nikon nuts are on to something.

Yet another gift is a Minolta XG-E (aka XG-7). Has automatic and manual modes, but the meter doesn't work in manual mode -- an apparently intentional design decision and probably the dumbest bit of camera design I've ever seen. But it does take beautiful pictures on automatic and it's nice to hold and use. This is a beat-up camera with a heart of gold and it's my "beater" camera. If I had more lenses for it I might consider another MF Minolta body with a better feature set.

That one came with a Minolta SRT-101 on which the meter doesn't seem to work. Lovely old camera but even if I could get the meter working, the display is only outside, which I can't use without reading glasses. Bummer. That said it has deep sentimental value for the person who gave it to me, so my plan is to return it to him, and he's thinking of getting it CLA'd and meter repaired and shooting with it again. I hope he does.

Years ago I had a Canon 35mm EOS Rebel 2000, my first auto-focus, auto-wind camera. Took decent but I thought it sucked a lot of the fun out of photography. Real cameras (KX) go KA-CHUNK not bzzzzt. On that same note, the friend who gave me the FT2 and other Minoltas also gave me a Minolta RZ430si, also AF and AW. It had a cheap Ritz Camera lens but I was able to buy a genuine Minolta 35-85 on eBay for around $30 shipped. It's a great camera for quick shooting (dog portraits) but I'm not sure if it'll bore me like the Rebel 2k. Also battery life becomes an issue, and those CR5s ain't cheap - for the price of four I could almost buy another camera. My KX and even my MG with an electronic shutter went years on a single set of batteries.

Anyway, that's my experience with Pentax and other-brand 35mm cameras. Hope it helps.
01-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well great, now I'm debating between a MX, KX, or an LX..
01-11-2020, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I would take the MX. It is a great camera. I had one back in the eighties.

My MX was upgraded to an LX. That is a great camera, but they can be troublesome. Parts are made mostly made from unobtanium.
01-11-2020, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^ ^ What Wasp said.

You'd be happy with any of those I'd reckon. LX is my favorite 35mm but I don't trust mine - it regularly thwarts me.
I'd still recommend the MX: reliability, weirdly compact size, remarkably bright finder, and a meter you can see in the dark.
01-11-2020, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
ick up a late 90s/early2000s era EOS Rebel G or Rebel X or Rebel 2000.... They're plasticy and light
I'd forgotten this until now, but IIRC, one of the Rebel 2k's features was a polycarbonate body, which they used for bullet-resistant glass. I sold eyeglasses for a while and polycarbonate was the lightest and most shatter-resistant stuff. Supposedly you could drop your Rebel 2000 and it would just bounce off the ground, but I never tested that myself...

---------- Post added 01-12-20 at 12:26 AM ----------

Hard to go wrong with the KX if you're cool with the size. The MX I was given (a pretty beat-up one) needed a new shutter box/assembly, and from what little I have read, this isn't the most uncommon thing. My KX (bought new by my grandfather, probably in 1975 or '76) served me through college and is working fine now, and has never had so much as a cleaning. Aside from not being able to see the ap in the viewfinder (the prism was broken when I got it) I have literally never ever ever had a problem with this camera.

That said, the light weight of the M-series is verrrrrrrrrrry nice.

Maybe you should just buy both.

BTW, you're smart to stick with Pentax. I usually keep two cameras in the camera bag -- maybe one loaded w/ color and one w/ B&W or one with low-speed film and one with high. Very helpful if they both use the same lenses -- you can stick that K1000 in the bag and have a spare.
01-12-2020, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For years I tried to "upgrade" my wife from her K1000.
I offered fully functional Pentax KX, MX and ME Super bodies.
After using each briefly she would return to her Pentax K1000.

Today my wifes K1000 sits unused. I had it serviced in hopes our daughter would use it, but to no avail.
She uses a Nikon P7000 digital, our daughter uses her smartphone, and I still use Pentax film cameras.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-12-2020 at 10:54 AM.
01-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For years I tried to "upgrade" my wife from her K1000.
I offered fully functional Pentax KX, MX and ME Super bodies.
After using each briefly she would return to her Pentax K1000.
Just like Doctors on Dr. Who, your first is always your favorite (Chris Eccleston for me). I find myself attracted to other cameras and always feel a bit like I'm cheating on the KX... but I always come back to my baby. It's what I know the best, what I'm most familiar with, etc.

And @Craveone that's something to think about... the MX will feel very different from the K1000, and that might make it less endearing.
01-12-2020, 03:06 PM   #30
Pentaxian

My LX has worked flawlessly since I bought a faulty one (deliberately) and had it repaired. That's 14 years of use. The only problems with it have been user-induced (e.g., dropping it on a rock). The FA-1W viewfinder is a godsend for me as I can get it to match my eyes. The FA-2 looks way cooler though...

I have two MXes, One works flawlessy, the other suffers from the occasional overlapping frame (despite having had a full service).

Although I have most of the K, M and A series bodies, the LX and MX see most use by a long way.