Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
Still having a hard time deciding. I'd much rather get the LX, but I'm worried I'll have problems with it later down the road and it will become an expensive paper weight.

---------- Post added 01-13-20 at 02:38 PM ----------

I'm not a fan of the pics I've seen online of the LED lights for metering on the MX, nor am I can of having to halfway press the shutter to initiate metering. I used back button focus on my DSLR, half pressing always leads to me pressing completely when trying to move my thumbs to meter

01-13-2020, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd get something that is either mechanical or runs off LR44 batteries. There's not much between KX, KM, K1000 and even the MX apart from the fact the MX is the only one with a split-prism with micro-prism surround focussing aid.

My favourite electronic body is the Super-A, but I've had problems with electronics in them. Next up is the P50, much later with two programs and exposure lock which looks quite smart with clean lines.

LXs are much nicer to shoot though, the dials click more positively, the film advance is much nicer and it's features are pretty unique. Both of mine have needed repairs for sticky mirrors but they were worth it.

Then there's medium format, if you don't mind a bigger camera these are in a different league as far as results go (any format, any 'proper' model). They can be very frustrating to use but the results are amazing when you see them.

I'm lucky to have many of the above, if I had to keep only two 35mm bodies I would keep both LXs (I've invested most in them - purchase & repair). I'd also keep my P67.

Lastly there's dozens of cheap auto-manuals out there for peanuts, I've got some I can't give away. Vivitar or Cosina clones, Ricohs, the T-90 was a classic, the Contax 167MT was very desirable but expensive and there were other Yashicas - most are very cheap now as they've fallen off the retro radar.

Last edited by johnha; 01-13-2020 at 05:06 PM. Reason: tpyo
01-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I'd get something that is either mechanical or runs of LR44 batteries. There's not much between KX, KM, K1000 and even the MX apart from the fact the MX is the only one with a split-prism with micro-prism surround focussing aid.

My favourite electronic body is the Super-A, but I've had problems with electronics in them. Next up is the P50, much later with two programs and exposure lock which looks quite smart with clean lines.

LXs are much nicer to shoot though, the dials click more positively, the film advance is much nicer and it's features are pretty unique. Both of mine have needed repairs for sticky mirrors but they were worth it.

Then there's medium format, if you don't mind a bigger camera these are in a different league as far as results go (any format, any 'proper' model). They can be very frustrating to use but the results are amazing when you see them.

I'm lucky to have many of the above, if I had to keep only two 35mm bodies I would keep both LXs (I've invested most in them - purchase & repair). I'd also keep my P67.

Lastly there's dozens of cheap auto-manuals out there for peanuts, I've got some I can't give away. Vivitar or Cosina clones, Ricohs, the T-90 was a classic, the Contax 167MT was very desirable but expensive and there were other Yashicas - most are very cheap now as they've fallen off the retro radar.

A 6X7 is on my list, I LOVE that beauty. The LX, I think is an amazing camera. The AP priority for long exposure, and the fact that the counter is accurate enough to rewind and do multi exposures. Plus, I've found a black one for a decent price. Just nervous to spend so much on an old camera.
01-16-2020, 10:52 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by craveone Quote
Still having a hard time deciding. I'd much rather get the LX, but I'm worried I'll have problems with it later down the road and it will become an expensive paper weight...

I'm not a fan of the pics I've seen online of the LED lights for metering on the MX, nor am I can of having to halfway press the shutter to initiate metering. I used back button focus on my DSLR, half pressing always leads to me pressing completely when trying to move my thumbs to meter
@Craveone, these sound like arguments in favor of a KX or a K2, which a) will be significantly less expensive and b) feature match-needle metering.

Second part first: I think match-needle is the best metering system there is (though again I haven't tried the MX yet -- shop just called to say it's ready!). First SLR I ever used -- might have been a Canon, can't remember -- had match-needle. IIRC, the person who loaned it to me set the shutter, showed me the aperture ring, and said "Turn it until the needle lines up with the lollipop." Pure (and fortunate) coincidence that when I got my first camera it was a match-needle KX.

Now, being used to center-the-needle, match-needle might drive you bonkers. I have a center-the-needle Nikomat FT2 and it drives me bonkers. Not being able to see my shutter speed in the window, and having to take the camera away from my eye to change it, makes me feel impotent. But I know it makes me bonkers only because it's different. Look at pics online and ask yourself "Can I live with this?" (I don't see how anyone could dislike match-needle, but I bet K1000 shooters wonder how I couldn't like center-the-needle.)

As to that halfway press: Bear in mind that to turn on the meter in the KX, you have to pull the wind lever out to the "stand off" position then press the shutter button half way (it "clicks" into place). The meter then says on till you pop the rewind lever back. Great system and it's second nature for me to pop on the meter. But my Minolta XG-E, which senses your finger on the button, might be better. I'm mid-way through a roll with the Ricoh KR-10, which does require you to hold the button halfway down -- what a pain. The needle "dances" as I hover between on and off. Wish I could just switch the damn thing on and leave it on... but I'll get used to it I'm sure. (PS, besides that quirk and the fact that it doesn't feel as substantial as my Pentaxes, the KR-10 is still a nifty little camera and dirt cheap on eBay. I'm just sayin'.)

First part second: Normally I would say cost shouldn't be a big concern, but the LX does seem to be a *lot* more expensive than the K-cams. Remember how cheap these film cams are compared to digital, though, or their original cost -- you're paying $50 to $250 for something that would have sold for the equivalent of 2 grand or more when new.

From what limited experience I have, an $85 cleaning will fix most issues with most old 35mm SLRs, and if the electronics fail, maybe $25-$50 more. If you buy on eBay there's an even chance it'll need service anyway. I have two cams in the shop, an Nikon FE with failed shutter electronics and the aforementioned MX which needs a new shutter assembly. Estimates just under/just over $100 respectively. A bargain for what should be good-as-new cameras when I get them back.

Mechanical vs electronic? My 45-year-old KX has never been serviced and still takes perfect pix. Ditto for my Nikomat FT2. The FE didn't make it that long, and neither did another FG I was given. BUT -- my electronic Minolta XG-E has to be at least 35 years old and looks like it was used to drive nails, and yet it works perfectly -- I used it to make one of my favorite pix.

My point is not to be afraid of repair. Once repaired, an SLR, even an electronic one, will likely give you decades of good service if you don't abuse it too badly. Remember, 35mm SLRs were among the best-engineered consumer goods of their era. That said you might want to make repairs now while the expertise and parts are available. I'm thinking of servicing a couple of my cameras just because I know I can get it done now, and the chances are good they'll outlive me.

If the LX is what you want, and you can afford it, get it. You won't miss the $$ once spent, but if you have your heart set on an LX and get something else, you'll always wonder if you should have spent the extra $$. Especially when you screw up a photo.

That said, if money is tight, I say the KX is the way to go. I've never heard a bad word about that camera, and you can buy one *and* get it CLA'd for far less than the cost of an LX. You'll have a camera that will last for decades (I would know!) and the change left over will buy a *lot* of film.

If all of the above applies and you want an automatic exposure (AE) mode, then consider the K2, which is slightly more electronic. Doesn't address your concerns about LX reliability but it the investment is lower. I don't like to rely on AE -- I'm pretty quick to set exposure -- but I have missed pics because the camera wasn't ready or was set wrong. (That said, if you want the camera to always be ready, buy a damn point-and-shoot. )

Forgive me for going on like this, but I'm having a lot of fun. It's like shopping for a new camera with someone else's money!

I'll leave you with a reminder of what I said earlier: Cameras don't make good shots, photographers do. Given the same lenses, you can get just as good a pic with your K1000 as you could with an LX, though the LX will make it easier. But so will a $50 Pentax-compatible Ricoh KR-10. So don't worry so much about getting the best-of-the-best camera -- get what you think you can work with and practice, practice, practice.

HTH -- Aaron

PS if you're in the Los Angeles area and would like to get hands-on with these cameras, you're welcome to try out my KX, MX, KR-10 and others. PM me.

Last edited by Autonerd; 01-16-2020 at 10:58 PM.
01-17-2020, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
@Craveone, these sound like arguments in favor of a KX or a K2, which a) will be significantly less expensive and b) feature match-needle metering.

Second part first: I think match-needle is the best metering system there is (though again I haven't tried the MX yet -- shop just called to say it's ready!). First SLR I ever used -- might have been a Canon, can't remember -- had match-needle. IIRC, the person who loaned it to me set the shutter, showed me the aperture ring, and said "Turn it until the needle lines up with the lollipop." Pure (and fortunate) coincidence that when I got my first camera it was a match-needle KX.

Now, being used to center-the-needle, match-needle might drive you bonkers. I have a center-the-needle Nikomat FT2 and it drives me bonkers. Not being able to see my shutter speed in the window, and having to take the camera away from my eye to change it, makes me feel impotent. But I know it makes me bonkers only because it's different. Look at pics online and ask yourself "Can I live with this?" (I don't see how anyone could dislike match-needle, but I bet K1000 shooters wonder how I couldn't like center-the-needle.)

As to that halfway press: Bear in mind that to turn on the meter in the KX, you have to pull the wind lever out to the "stand off" position then press the shutter button half way (it "clicks" into place). The meter then says on till you pop the rewind lever back. Great system and it's second nature for me to pop on the meter. But my Minolta XG-E, which senses your finger on the button, might be better. I'm mid-way through a roll with the Ricoh KR-10, which does require you to hold the button halfway down -- what a pain. The needle "dances" as I hover between on and off. Wish I could just switch the damn thing on and leave it on... but I'll get used to it I'm sure. (PS, besides that quirk and the fact that it doesn't feel as substantial as my Pentaxes, the KR-10 is still a nifty little camera and dirt cheap on eBay. I'm just sayin'.)

First part second: Normally I would say cost shouldn't be a big concern, but the LX does seem to be a *lot* more expensive than the K-cams. Remember how cheap these film cams are compared to digital, though, or their original cost -- you're paying $50 to $250 for something that would have sold for the equivalent of 2 grand or more when new.

From what limited experience I have, an $85 cleaning will fix most issues with most old 35mm SLRs, and if the electronics fail, maybe $25-$50 more. If you buy on eBay there's an even chance it'll need service anyway. I have two cams in the shop, an Nikon FE with failed shutter electronics and the aforementioned MX which needs a new shutter assembly. Estimates just under/just over $100 respectively. A bargain for what should be good-as-new cameras when I get them back.

Mechanical vs electronic? My 45-year-old KX has never been serviced and still takes perfect pix. Ditto for my Nikomat FT2. The FE didn't make it that long, and neither did another FG I was given. BUT -- my electronic Minolta XG-E has to be at least 35 years old and looks like it was used to drive nails, and yet it works perfectly -- I used it to make one of my favorite pix.

My point is not to be afraid of repair. Once repaired, an SLR, even an electronic one, will likely give you decades of good service if you don't abuse it too badly. Remember, 35mm SLRs were among the best-engineered consumer goods of their era. That said you might want to make repairs now while the expertise and parts are available. I'm thinking of servicing a couple of my cameras just because I know I can get it done now, and the chances are good they'll outlive me.

If the LX is what you want, and you can afford it, get it. You won't miss the $$ once spent, but if you have your heart set on an LX and get something else, you'll always wonder if you should have spent the extra $$. Especially when you screw up a photo.

That said, if money is tight, I say the KX is the way to go. I've never heard a bad word about that camera, and you can buy one *and* get it CLA'd for far less than the cost of an LX. You'll have a camera that will last for decades (I would know!) and the change left over will buy a *lot* of film.

If all of the above applies and you want an automatic exposure (AE) mode, then consider the K2, which is slightly more electronic. Doesn't address your concerns about LX reliability but it the investment is lower. I don't like to rely on AE -- I'm pretty quick to set exposure -- but I have missed pics because the camera wasn't ready or was set wrong. (That said, if you want the camera to always be ready, buy a damn point-and-shoot. )

Forgive me for going on like this, but I'm having a lot of fun. It's like shopping for a new camera with someone else's money!

I'll leave you with a reminder of what I said earlier: Cameras don't make good shots, photographers do. Given the same lenses, you can get just as good a pic with your K1000 as you could with an LX, though the LX will make it easier. But so will a $50 Pentax-compatible Ricoh KR-10. So don't worry so much about getting the best-of-the-best camera -- get what you think you can work with and practice, practice, practice.

HTH -- Aaron

PS if you're in the Los Angeles area and would like to get hands-on with these cameras, you're welcome to try out my KX, MX, KR-10 and others. PM me.

Thank you for the response. I have been going crazy thinking about all of this. The MX, and KX seem to be right next to each other on my list. And I'm sure I would be happy with either, probably the KX more. With that I read another post where someone said something similar as you did. Buying another camera and still wondering about the LX. I've been thinking about one for the past year or so. I have a perk with my job. Instead of giving me a raise, they give me points. After so many points you can either go through their website and purchase items (TVs, Laptops, Vacation packages etc.) with the points. Now, these items are WAY over priced. And if you just opt for the gift cards with your points, you can actually find the items they are selling for cheaper, and usually have some extra cash left over. I have enough points to cover purchasing a camera. So, when it comes to initial cost of purchasing a camera, I honestly can take a pick between all three. Now, if I go with a KX i'll have more money left over, and could just purchase a 100 ft roll of tri-x. Or, go for the gold and get the LX. After much consideration, and knowing that a camera body is a light box, and I can take the same crappy photos I do with any light box. I think I've narrowed it down to just getting the LX. If later on down the road it needs repairs, hopefully I'll have enough points saved through work to get those repairs done. In fact, I have enough points left over I could send it in and spend 200 bucks on a CLA and repairs. Thats IF the repairs only cost that much. I was quoted from Eric that it could be a 200-300 repair job. Of course, this is with out him seeing a camera, and the one that I have found on Ebay is still is fantastic working condition.

Yes, i'm sure I would be happy with a KX, or the K2. But I'm left wondering about the LX... My thought was I would get the LX, and maybe a KX later down the road. I do like the idea of using AE from time to time. I'm like you and enjoy going full on manual. The 1/2000 shutter speed on the LX will be an improvement alone from the k1000 (not sure what the top shutter speed of the KX is, I'm to lazy this early in the morning to Google it.) I just figured, if I'm spending money that I wouldn't normally have, why not go for the camera I'm REALLY lusting over?

Anyway, thank you for your response, and you're probably right, I should go for the "cheaper" camera. Have money left over for film and chemicals. I still haven't received the gift cards just yet, so I may have changed my mind by that point. The LX just has a few features that I haven't seen in any other SLR. The accurate film counter, being able to rewind the film and do multi-exposures on the exact frame your wanting to do it on. The metering off the film plane, AE, size, etc.... I could be going down a rabbit hole with the camera, I just have to find out for myself I guess...
01-17-2020, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #36

Photos: Gallery
you're probably right, I should go for the "cheaper" camera.
Well, that's only part of what I said, @Craveone -- the other part was that if the LX is really what you want, you should get it. I'm very happy for you and not a little jealous. The LX is a very cool camera. The great news here is that you're not choosing between a great camera and a crap camera, you're choosing between two great cameras. And you're smart to leverage your existing equipment by buying a camera compatible with the high-quality lenses you already own.

Looking forward to seeing the images and hearing about your experiences with the LX.

A KX down the road makes sense, but the K1000 will make a good second cam. Consider buying a body cap and throwing it into your bag when you take out the LX. Always good to have a second camera with an alternative choice of film.

BTW, I picked up the MX from the shop today, all fixed up and cleaned up. You do have to hold the button halfway down to get the meter on, like my Ricoh, as opposed to clicking it on like the KX. So it might have annoyed you after all.

I used to shoot with an MG but after these past few happy months with the KX and the FT2 and the KR-10, the MX feels funny in my hands. Let's hope it's not a disappointment! I'll put a test roll through it this weekend...

---------- Post added 01-17-20 at 07:34 PM ----------

Thank you for the response. I have been going crazy thinking about all of this. The MX, and KX seem to be right next to each other on my list.
I know exactly where you are coming from... I don't have OCD but I do have some obsessive tendencies, and a choice like this can be maddening for me. I even over-think which camera I should load film into next. But at the end of the day the choices aren't that consequential... if the LX turns out not to be the camera for you, you can always sell it for the price you bought it and get something else. Used cameras always seemed to hold their value... they've dropped due to DSLRs, but they seem to be holding ground now, and I imagine that as the supply thins they'll appreciate a bit.

The best part is now that you're done obsessing over which camera to buy you can begin obsessing over which film to use.

Oh, I forgot to answer one of your questions -- the shutter speed range on the KX is 1 sec to 1/1000, same as the MX and (I believe) K1000. I don't own a manual-focus camera that goes faster than that and never thought I'd need it... but given my love for HP-5 and the fact that I now live in sunny California, a 1/4000 camera is appealing... those extra two stops would come in handy. Might be time to start shopping for an FE2...
01-18-2020, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

The KX is a very good but otherwise unremarkable mechanical SLR - it's the best Pentax made with a needle. The LX is completely different in that it's features are unique across all manufacturers - it is also a much newer body (KX production ended about 5 years before the LX was launched).

The LX has a second way to activate the meter - pressing the exposure compensation lock button (the small button surrounded by the prism release lever) will also activate it.

If you really want an LX you should buy one, protect yourself as best you can by buying one you can return or with a warranty. Buying a half-happy compromise will probably still leave you wishing you'd bought the camera you want (been there many times). You'll probably up with both anyway...

01-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The KX is a very good but otherwise unremarkable mechanical SLR - it's the best Pentax made with a needle. The LX is completely different in that it's features are unique across all manufacturers - it is also a much newer body (KX production ended about 5 years before the LX was launched).

The LX has a second way to activate the meter - pressing the exposure compensation lock button (the small button surrounded by the prism release lever) will also activate it.

If you really want an LX you should buy one, protect yourself as best you can by buying one you can return or with a warranty. Buying a half-happy compromise will probably still leave you wishing you'd bought the camera you want (been there many times). You'll probably up with both anyway...

You can still purchase an LX with a warranty? I've been looking on eBay, is there somewhere else I should be looking?
01-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #39
Pentaxian

You can still purchase an LX with a warranty? I've been looking on eBay, is there somewhere else I should be looking?
KEH.com offers a money back guarantee on everything they sell. In my experience, when they rate something a bargain, it is usually an excellent by any other.

---------- Post added 01-18-20 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
Oh, I forgot to answer one of your questions -- the shutter speed range on the KX is 1 sec to 1/1000, same as the MX and (I believe) K1000. I don't own a manual-focus camera that goes faster than that and never thought I'd need it... but given my love for HP-5 and the fact that I now live in sunny California, a 1/4000 camera is appealing... those extra two stops would come in handy. Might be time to start shopping for an FE2...
Of course 2 stops of overexposure is nothing for most all b&w and color negatives as you can easily go many stops over without requiring any development compensation. Visually you can tell the difference when you hold the film strip to a lightsource but results from most scanner's autoexposure will make it near indistinguishable.

Last edited by LesDMess; 01-18-2020 at 10:06 AM.
01-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW I was not impressed by my Pentax LX; I sold it.
I still enjoy using a couple of nice Pentax KX bodies...

Chris
01-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Many used dealers offer warranties (3 months or more is often available), although you may need to pay a bit more than ebay. Most would refund or replace rather than repair I imagine.
01-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems you are already decided that you want an LX
NOwadays they are going for 300-400 in EX shape, that is less than the price in the 90s (when I couldnt afford one)
I second the KEH recommendation but they dont have any as of today

Still having a hard time deciding. I'd much rather get the LX, but I'm worried I'll have problems with it later down the road and it will become an expensive paper weight.

---------- Post added 01-13-20 at 02:38 PM ----------

01-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #43
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was out bid on a beautiful LX today. And it was in the states. I've been chatting with the owner for over a week now. So I know it was still in working condition. Hard to purchase from Japan with the security of it having a fresh roll of film ran through it
01-21-2020, 04:02 PM - 3 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you buy from Japan advise you examine all the photos very carefully.
Avoid cameras that exhibit corrosion or other evidence of humidity.
Rust on film guide rails is easy to spot and can be a warning sign.

Chris
01-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #45

Canon eos film camera is dirt cheap. You can get the pentax and also get the eos. That's what I did.