Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2020, 05:18 AM   #46
Forum Member

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So I found one on eBay. It's alittle more than I wanted to pay. But comes with flash and a 40m lens that I've been wanting as well. The description isn't the best, it's from Japan. I've messaged the seller yesterday but haven't received a response. Just asked if it have the sticky mirror syndrome, and if the shutter worked all the way around. This is the description of the item. It also states that there is a 30 day return. Hard to believe that since he hasn't responded to my question. All of the feedback is positive on his seller page. He has been selling on eBay since April of '19. Is this enough info to purchase it? The pics look great! Except, no pics through the view finder.. here's the description:

■ Total
Excellent+++++
Pre-owned, normal signs of use.

■ Appearance
Appearance is good,
scuffs from normal use.
It shows signs of use.
*Please check photos.

■ Optics
Viewfinder has some dust,
but it does not affect visibility.

SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8
There is no fog.
There is tiny fungus.
There is no scratches.
There is no separation.
There is a few tiny dusts, but it does not affect photo.

■ Functional
It works properly.

■ Serial number
Body:5331408
Lens:6061145

■ Bundled Items
- SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8
- AF280T w/ Soft Case
- Grip B
All you can see on the picture will be included in a set of a package.
*Battery is not included for safe air shipping reason.

01-23-2020, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #47

Photos: Gallery
Well, he says it functions properly, that gives you some protection (I think) if it doesn't work.

But if this camera doesn't feel right, then don't get it. There will be others. eBay is all about patience.

-- And this coming from the guy who just bought a Ricoh KR-10 Super body for less than ten bucks. Untested, but for ten bucks, who cares?
01-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
Well, he says it functions properly, that gives you some protection (I think) if it doesn't work.

But if this camera doesn't feel right, then don't get it. There will be others. eBay is all about patience.

-- And this coming from the guy who just bought a Ricoh KR-10 Super body for less than ten bucks. Untested, but for ten bucks, who cares?

I bit the bullet and purchased it. It was worth it for the grip, 280T flash, and M 40m f/2.8 lens alone.
01-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Japanese dealers are decent, check the ratings and the number of transactions they have made
I see Hiroshima Camera has a decent one in Ebay and there s one from Minesotta (PENTAX LX 35mm FA-1 SLR w/ SMC 50mm f2.8 Exc. Working W: Motor Drive + Batt. | eBay) which seems OK

01-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Japanese dealers are decent, check the ratings and the number of transactions they have made
I see Hiroshima Camera has a decent one in Ebay and there s one from Minesotta (PENTAX LX 35mm FA-1 SLR w/ SMC 50mm f2.8 Exc. Working W: Motor Drive + Batt. | eBay) which seems OK

The battery and motor were unable to be tested. He sent me an offer at a cheaper price. I went with a Japan sale with a lens I wanted and flash
01-23-2020, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The winder is a much better option than the motordrive. It takes 4x AA batteries, offers power rewind, shoots about 2 fps and doesn't need the extra battery pack (the NiCd cells will likely be worn out by now). It also puts a lot less strain on the film transport of an old camera.

The grips can be hard to find and expensive but are very useful. The focussing screen can at least be replaced easily if needed, as can the viewfinder.
01-23-2020, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #52

@Craveone congratulations. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with your new camera.

01-24-2020, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #53
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
@Craveone congratulations. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with your new camera.

Hoping with the grip I won't drop it on my first outing 😉
01-24-2020, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by craveone Quote
Hoping with the grip I won't drop it on my first outing 😉
Hah!!! No, that's my M.O.
01-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #55
Pentaxian

CONGRATS!!!
Hope everything turns out fine!

The battery and motor were unable to be tested. He sent me an offer at a cheaper price. I went with a Japan sale with a lens I wanted and flash
01-25-2020, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #56
Forum Member

MX?

I LOVED my MX, but had to add the winder so it could fit my hands! The MX was tiny compared to the Canon F1 I had been used to. For a Canon body, I LOVE my EOS 650! It is light and does everything I want. It even has auto film advance. I bought a different grip that allows a cable release . You may want the 620 model. Very cheap on Ebay for a clean one. Good luck!
01-27-2020, 04:08 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
I'll throw one more in the mix for you to consider -- my favorite 35mm camera of all time was the Canon T-90 -- these and the FD lenses can be had quite cheaply and it is an absolutely wonderful camera!
Cheap and good FD lenses, an oddly interesting film camera series, I own a T -70 and it’s a great , ugly baby. The T-90 is considered a fine choice, very well built and very handy, as it was a pro-oriented model. Canon made some good use of electronic features in these. FD glass is among the most affordable due to the change of the mount after the T series.

I’ve used some FL lenses occasionally and I must say they are pretty nice too but a little more $$. Image quality is highly appreciated. But anyway..
Happy to see you made a good choice! Hope it serves you well!
01-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #58
Forum Member

Original Poster
I ordered the LX last week. It was scheduled to ship out on Friday. It arrived in customers in Chicago yesterday. Supposedly it will be to me tomorrow. Super fast shipping. I ordered a grid focus screen off of eBay. I can't wait to get it, and I'm hoping it'll actually work. I plan on rolling a small 12 frame roll of hp5 to try it out when it gets here. I'm soooooo stoked and can't help but be impatient. I keep clicking refresh on the tracking info, waiting for it to say it reached Kansas...
01-27-2020, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I keep clicking refresh on the tracking info, waiting for it to say it reached Kansas...
I know that feeling of anticipation!
01-27-2020, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

I ordered the LX last week. It was scheduled to ship out on Friday. It arrived in customers in Chicago yesterday. Supposedly it will be to me tomorrow. Super fast shipping. I ordered a grid focus screen off of eBay. I can't wait to get it, and I'm hoping it'll actually work. I plan on rolling a small 12 frame roll of hp5 to try it out when it gets here. I'm soooooo stoked and can't help but be impatient. I keep clicking refresh on the tracking info, waiting for it to say it reached Kansas...
12 exp roll... nahhhh go big! use a 36!