Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2020, 04:27 AM   #61
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
12 exp roll... nahhhh go big! use a 36!
Lol, I'm horrible at using a full roll. I'll use like 15 frames and I'm ready to dev to see what I got

01-28-2020, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #62
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just received the LX....... It's GORGEOUS!!!! All shutter speeds work. Auto works great, bulb mode as well. Film advance is smooth. The shutter!!!! Oh the shutter sounds like a dream come true!!!! Feels great in my hands. Loaded a roll of film to go and shoot this afternoon. The only thing I can't figure out is the DOF view. It doesn't seem to change the view at all when I use it. Not sure what's going on there. Self timer works... I don't know what else to say other than this sexy beast is finally here, and I can't wait to go shoot some frames off!!!
01-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #63

Photos: Gallery
Glad to hear you love the camera so much, @Craveone. Forgive me for asking a potentially silly question, but... are you stopping down the lens when you hit the DOF preview button? At the larger apertures you won't see much of a difference, but at f/22 it'll darken dramatically.

As you look into the camera with the lens removed, the aperture actuating lever should be a small squared-off lever on the right, forward of the mirror and above its bottom edge. Assuming it works like my KX and MX, it moves up (and down) at roughly the same speed andt time as the mirror when you take a pic and you should be able to waggle it up and down using the DOF preview button. If it's not moving when the camera fires, the aperture isn't being stopped down.

You can also verify its operation by selecting f/5.6, opening the back of the camera and looking into the lens (from the front) as you fire off a shot. You should see the lens stop down.A light background (like your computer screen) will help.

Aaron
01-28-2020, 10:51 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nowadays many films are available only in 36-exposure rolls.
I don't like 36-exposure rolls; they take too long for me to finish.

Even 24-exposure rolls can take me several days to complete.
In my rush to get the film processed I inevitably waste frames.

When I bulk-load film I prefer to load 15-20 frames per roll.

Chris

01-29-2020, 03:45 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by craveone Quote
I just received the LX....... It's GORGEOUS!!!! All shutter speeds work. Auto works great, bulb mode as well. Film advance is smooth. The shutter!!!! Oh the shutter sounds like a dream come true!!!! Feels great in my hands. Loaded a roll of film to go and shoot this afternoon. The only thing I can't figure out is the DOF view. It doesn't seem to change the view at all when I use it. Not sure what's going on there. Self timer works... I don't know what else to say other than this sexy beast is finally here, and I can't wait to go shoot some frames off!!!
Pics or it didn't happen

I avoid rolls of anything other than 35 exposures. Anything else costs more per frame both for film and development and, if it's a B&W roll, takes me exactly the same time to develop myself.
01-29-2020, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CONGRATS AGAIN!!!
SOmetimes the wait is worth it!

now, where are the pictures from that 36 exp HP5.... LoL no pressure

01-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #67
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
Glad to hear you love the camera so much, @Craveone. Forgive me for asking a potentially silly question, but... are you stopping down the lens when you hit the DOF preview button? At the larger apertures you won't see much of a difference, but at f/22 it'll darken dramatically.

As you look into the camera with the lens removed, the aperture actuating lever should be a small squared-off lever on the right, forward of the mirror and above its bottom edge. Assuming it works like my KX and MX, it moves up (and down) at roughly the same speed andt time as the mirror when you take a pic and you should be able to waggle it up and down using the DOF preview button. If it's not moving when the camera fires, the aperture isn't being stopped down.

You can also verify its operation by selecting f/5.6, opening the back of the camera and looking into the lens (from the front) as you fire off a shot. You should see the lens stop down.A light background (like your computer screen) will help.

Aaron

After messing around with it I finally went from f2.8 to f22 and tried it. I guess I had a different idea of what DOF view was. I thought for some reason at f2.8 it would show you what would be in focus and what wouldn't. for me being a n00b, could you explain why one would need DOF view at f22?

---------- Post added 01-29-20 at 01:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Nowadays many films are available only in 36-exposure rolls.
I don't like 36-exposure rolls; they take too long for me to finish.

Even 24-exposure rolls can take me several days to complete.
In my rush to get the film processed I inevitably waste frames.

When I bulk-load film I prefer to load 15-20 frames per roll.

Chris
Thats what I've been doing while trying to figure out double exposures and some other experimental stuff. Just so I can see the results and figure out how to make it better.

---------- Post added 01-29-20 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Pics or it didn't happen

I avoid rolls of anything other than 35 exposures. Anything else costs more per frame both for film and development and, if it's a B&W roll, takes me exactly the same time to develop myself.

I cannot figure out how to add pics on here....

01-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
click on "manage attachments". below. In the pop up window, click on browse, next find the picture on your computer. Go back to popup and click upload. when upload is complete, close pop up add any text in quicl reply box then click on post quick reply.
01-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #69

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yes, but you waste money on negative holders. I tend to get 37 or 38 on a 36 roll, and anything more than 35-36 exposures won't fit on a single sheet!

I tend to bulk-load shorter rolls just because a) I'm impatient and b) I like to shoot with different cameras, so I'm always eager to move on to the next one.

---------- Post added 01-29-20 at 09:01 PM ----------

After messing around with it I finally went from f2.8 to f22 and tried it. I guess I had a different idea of what DOF view was. I thought for some reason at f2.8 it would show you what would be in focus and what wouldn't. for me being a n00b, could you explain why one would need DOF view at f22?
Well, @Craveone, technically you wouldn't. At f/22 pretty much everything should be in focus... though not close stuff if you have your lens focused on infinity.

Basically, wide-open the DOF preview should do nothing, because the lens is wide open. At f/22 when you press it the image should get much darker, and you should see more in focus. The longer the lens the more pronounced the effect (I've already forgotten what lens you're doing this with).

I *think* that with a longer lens focused close, the DOF is shallow even at smaller apertures... but I'm ashamed to say I don't remember. I rarely shoot with anything longer than a 50 nowadays.

Aaron
01-29-2020, 11:58 PM   #70
Veteran Member

You are perfectly correct .....with a long lens the DOF gets very narrow. I rarely shoot with anything over about 135mm but I do have a 300mm.

Assuming f22 and long focus to infinity everything from 100ft to infinity would be in focus.
When you come in close the DOF reduces to the pont where when you are focused at 10 feet the DOF would only be about 6 inches either side of focus to your DOF would be about a foot.

With a long slow lens an f22 DOF preview would be near on pointless as the view would be so dark it would make it almost impossible to assess unless you had very good and strong light.

I almost never use a DOF preview because light is seldom good enough to see whats happening and I can just tell from the f stop roughly what would be in focus and if in doubt a quick look at the lens barrel will tell me what I need to know.
01-30-2020, 12:23 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Congratulations! They're a sought-after camera at the very least, and with good reason I'm sure! Looking forward to seeing what you produce with it.
01-30-2020, 01:15 AM   #72
Veteran Member

DoF will show the effects of filters better - things like the 'horizon' line of graduate filters or the effects of various masks* etc. At f/22 it's difficult to see much due to the dark finder image.

* In the '90s the three usual ones were 'binocular', 'keyhole' and vignettes given away for free with photo magazines.
01-30-2020, 11:56 AM - 3 Likes   #73
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hope this works. Here it is, my (new to me) LX! Just changed out the focusing screen to a beattie grid screen found on eBay. MUCH brighter then the one that came with it.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
ONEPLUS A6013  Photo 
01-31-2020, 12:38 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Nice looking LX, these day's little things like strap lugs and PC sync covers are really hard (and relatively expensive) to get hold of on their own. The grips are even more expensive, but at least they improve the handling.

I presume the photo above is a deliberate double exposure - otherwise you've got problems 🙂
01-31-2020, 06:29 AM   #75
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Nice looking LX, these day's little things like strap lugs and PC sync covers are really hard (and relatively expensive) to get hold of on their own. The grips are even more expensive, but at least they improve the handling.

I presume the photo above is a deliberate double exposure - otherwise you've got problems 🙂
The extra's with this particular find is what prompted the purchase. The lugs, grip, 40m f2.8 lens, and the 280T flash. Plus the camera seems well taken care of. And, I didn't realize both of the photos would show up in this one post. Sorry about that. Yes, it was deliberate. Was just trying some fun stuff with this gorgeous piece of art (the LX that is).