Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #1

Pentax MX advance lever is stuck

I have a pentax MX camera, the wind/advance lever won't advance. I tried opening the bottom to see what the problem was, but everything was fine. I think the prob is in the top?? Can you help me? Give me some ideas or share some photos

01-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #2

Is there film in the camera? If you wind to the end of the spool the advance can get stuck part way. Rewind the film.
01-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Is there film in the camera? If you wind to the end of the spool the advance can get stuck part way. Rewind the film.
Iíve done that before. Completely freaked me out...

-Eric
01-12-2020, 08:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Thereís no film in the camera.

01-18-2020, 01:46 AM   #5

I just fixed an Mx with the same problem today!

If your camera is cocked, with the orange indicator at the top showing, it could be possible the mirror mechanism wasnít engaged.

You should do what this guy says on post #4 to get a better look: Pentax MX stuck shutter - PentaxForums.com

Take a picture and note how everything looks for reassembly, but itís pretty easy. after removing the two screws, A pair of tweezers may help maneuver the low speed assembly out, and later back into position.

the screw head that MysteryOnion kindly pointed out, should be pushed up towards the front of the camera body when it is in the cocked position. If it is positioned towards back, carefully take a screwdriver to slide the spring loaded screw head towards the front of the camera. You will feel it catch. Then, try pressing the shutter button and if the camera fires, check if it will wind again.

Let us know how it goes! I can provide pictures if needed
3 Days Ago   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Estey Quote
I just fixed an Mx with the same problem today!

If your camera is cocked, with the orange indicator at the top showing, it could be possible the mirror mechanism wasnít engaged.

You should do what this guy says on post #4 to get a better look: Pentax MX stuck shutter - PentaxForums.com

Take a picture and note how everything looks for reassembly, but itís pretty easy. after removing the two screws, A pair of tweezers may help maneuver the low speed assembly out, and later back into position.

the screw head that MysteryOnion kindly pointed out, should be pushed up towards the front of the camera body when it is in the cocked position. If it is positioned towards back, carefully take a screwdriver to slide the spring loaded screw head towards the front of the camera. You will feel it catch. Then, try pressing the shutter button and if the camera fires, check if it will wind again.

Let us know how it goes! I can provide pictures if needed
Hi Estey

Thanks for this explanation! Restoring does not work right for me? Could you possibly provide your photos?

Thanks in advance! Pablo