Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
Yup. That's precisely how I change the speed 95% of the time. I really only posted that a good while back to illustrate that it wasn't nearly the problem made out to be if you'd like to change it with just one finger, camera still to your eye.
Honestly I don't find the difference in space for the dial all that different across a variety of Pentax bodies. I really just don't think about it that much if ever. The LX is certainly easier (I believe that's what you went with) and there's no possibility of changing ISO accidentally in that case. But really, I've been shooting these for a long long while I can't remember *ever* inadvertently changing ISO, regardless of what body was in use. Not that that matters - it's your damn camera.
Lol, it was a rookie move.... I am still on the hunt for the LX. Got outbid on eBay for the one I really wanted.

01-22-2020, 08:02 PM - 2 Likes   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have decided that the best shutter-speed dial on a camera I own is the Minolta XG-E. It's big and knurled and you can easily turn it with your thumb without taking the camera from your eye.

Ironically, this camera is intended to be used in automatic AP mode, and the meter goes dark (by design) in manual mode. So there is literally zero reason to turn the shutter dial without taking the camera from your eye.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

PS It's been a couple of days and a few more exposures and so far I have managed NOT to drop the MX again.
01-22-2020, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by craveone Quote
I used to change shutter speed like this on my k1000. But I noticed there were times that my finger would somehow lift the shutter dial a bit, which would then change the ISO. It sucked the first time it happened. To find out at the end of my roll that My ISO was between 1600 and 3200 on the dial. I now just drop the camera from my eye to change it with both finger and thumb. Which even on the k1000 can be alittle annoying since the space is small. This is one of the reason's I decided against the MX. I was afraid it would be just like my k1000, but that the space would be even smaller for my fingers. Sucks, cause it looks like such a gorgeous camera. And I do love the size of the ME a friend let me borrow.
The MX and K1000 have different mechanisms for changing the ISO setting. While on the K1000 (like the Spotmatics) you to lift and turn the outside of shutter dial, the MX requires you to depress a pin on top of the dial, and then turn. It's more or less impossible to do this by accident while changing the shutter speed.
01-23-2020, 04:50 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
The MX and K1000 have different mechanisms for changing the ISO setting. While on the K1000 (like the Spotmatics) you to lift and turn the outside of shutter dial, the MX requires you to depress a pin on top of the dial, and then turn. It's more or less impossible to do this by accident while changing the shutter speed.

That's good to know! I plan on purchasing an MX at some point in the future. Have my eye on an LX atm. Although, with the money used for an LX I could snag two MX's lol

01-23-2020, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by craveone Quote
Although, with the money used for an LX I could snag two MX's lol
...and get a K2 with the change left over.