Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Viernes Quote
While I have a Pentax DSLR, my main digital camera is a m4/3 Olympus. I use it with my Takumars and a few other old manual lenses with an adapter.

When I’m shooting film I always use that Spotmatic.

---------- Post added 01-20-20 at 08:48 AM ----------

I live in Argentina and in here, for some unknown reason, the MX is one of the most expensive film cameras you can buy.

Maybe because of its huge viewfinder?
I’ve never used one, so I can’t tell.
Along with the MX, the KX is probably the most favored. They're both fantastic cameras. The MX viewfinder is huge indeed - it's also very small and so is a good fit for many Takumars since they are relatively small lenses to begin with.
If you rely on in-camera metering like the Spotmatic, as mentioned, the KX, MX, KM, K2 are all good choices. If you don't care as much about in-camera metering and use sunny-16 or a handheld, I'd look to the S series (S1a, SV, S) if you've never shot one. They're a joy to shoot with in my opinion - just have a handling and feel that's pretty much unmatched. Most will need a bit of a CLA to address slow-speed governor issues, tired curtains, etc. But they're remarkably uncomplicated compared to their later cousins.

01-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As mentioned, a Spotty would be best (the metering switch is much more convenient than trying to switch the Auto/Man lever on the lens close to the mount). If it must be a K mount, anything with a manual mode would suffice - but there must be a reason why it has to have a K mount - the reason for this might be important.

I'd prefer a K series body, KM (although I've never seen one for sale,), KX or K1000 (sorry Womble). I have two dead K2s so I can't recommend them. The MX is good but doesn't fit the Spotty form factor, the viewfinder is huge but this creates problems for me as I wear glasses.

The K1000 is a Spotty with a K mount and takes easily available batteries, not all are hipster expensive.
01-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 and PentaxK have excatly the same distance (45.46mm), adapters should be flush in order to focus to infinity

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I think when adapting an m42 lens to a non-m42 camera body, suddenly you have all kinds of options, as m42 has a long register distance and adapters take up the slack. Obvious the K-1 is a great option but I could see going to a good micro 4/3rds camera and using a speedbooster to give back to field of view that would otherwise be missing. Something with good focus peaking in an electronic view finder.

A Chinon CE-4s, Pentax LX, or Ricoh XR7 would get my interest if I wanted to stay with film.
BEST camera for M42, a Bessaflex!
I regret not buying one when I had the chance
01-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Viernes Quote
Most lenses I have are Super Takumar with M42 mount.

Those are the pretty much the only lenses I use when shooting digital. Heck, I don’t even have an autofocus lens.

I’ve always shot 35mm film with a Spotmatic that died, so I want to replace it with a camera with a K mount.

So the question is: which Pentax K mount camera deals better with adapted Takumars??

Thanks!!
If most of your lenses are M42 Takumars I would strongly, strongly recommend getting another Spotmatic (Spotty F would be my pick), rather than a K mount.

I have a full set of M42's lenses and bodies (Spot F, SV x2), and a full set of K mount lenses and bodies (KX, MX, LX), so I speak from experience. Adapting M42 lenses to K mount bodies can be done, but quite frankly it's a fiddly pain. When people say you maintain 'full functionality', that isn't really true. Mounting is a pain (the bayonet adapter stays in the body, so you still need to screw in/out each lens change), and the focus/meter/shoot process is really a pain. It's just gets in the way...

If you want to enjoy your Takumars, stick them on an M42 body that supports open-aperture metering, or stick them on a mirrorless body.

01-20-2020, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

How about an M42 camera that allows you aperture priority with your M42 lenses or manual up to 1/2000 shutter speed?

01-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about a Super Program/SuperA?

They’ll work with a M42 adapter, but they’ll obviously work with K mount and even (somewhat) with lenses with no aperture ring (DA).

-Eric