Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #1

Problem with front dial on Pentax Z-1p

It's a rather strange problem and internet search and search on this forum did not give any feedback.

My front dial is working just in one direction for any of its dedicated functions. For example, if I'm in manual mode and want to try to change shutter speed, the value can only be changed from the longest to the shortest shutter speed however I turn the front dial. To illustrate further, let's say my current shutter speed is 1/250 and I want to change it to any other, if I move the dial to the left it goes to 1/350, but if I then move the dial to the right the shutter speed changes to 1/500 instead of going back to 1/250. If I continue turning the dial in any direction, the shutter speed only changes to shorter speeds until it reaches 1/8000 and then I cannot change it anymore. The only solution to this problem is to remove the battery and put it back in to reset the camera.

Has anyone experienced such behaviour and what could be the problem?

Last edited by deepbluish; 01-23-2020 at 01:26 PM.
01-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If changing the battery fixes the issue, it's most likely software related. Since there were no software "fixes" for the PZ-1P, I'm afraid there's not much you can do short of finding a repair site. The PZ-1P uses a rotary encoder as do current models and usually that involves two photo sensors needed for direction detection.

If you lose one of those, symptoms like yours appear but removing the battery usually won't fix that type of failure unless it's caused by dirt and changing the battery dislodges the dirt blocking the sensor. You might try canned air directed into and around the dial area to see if it helps.

It could just be a sensor failure and pulling the battery allows it to "heal" itself temporarily.

Sorry, not much else I can provide in the way of positive news.
01-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Bob.

I've just realized that I probably should have posted this to the Repairs and Warranty section of the forums. Maybe the admins could move it for me.
01-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just for curiosity is the main switch set to "user" or to "on"?

Phil.

01-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you tried the 'IF' button on the back? This should reset the speed, either to the program line (HyperManual) or Av based on the set aperture on the lens (normal Manual).
01-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, the camera is on the ON position, not USER.

The IF button does reset the shutter speed, and the camera is perfectly usable in the Av mode, unless I want to change something controlled with the front dial, and it seems that all the other functions are assigned to the front dial: mode selection, metering, EV compensation, etc.