Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I have a blimp case for my MX which was designed to allow you to use the camera but muffle the noise.
I have a similar blimp case for my LX. It is actual leather and still supple. What a shame the M-series cases were lesser quality.

02-02-2020, 08:48 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a similar blimp case for my LX. It is actual leather and still supple. What a shame the M-series cases were lesser quality.
I can imagine the product planning meeting in 1978...
Everyone is smoking cigarettes...
“We found a way to reduce material costs 50% by using a material that’s used by NASA”
“What’s the trade-off?”
“It’s only good for 25 years”
“Nobody’s going to using these things in 25 years. We’ll be on the fourth or fifth generation of autofocus by then, so surely the cameras will be too small to need a case like this... now, tell me about this ‘LX’ prototype we’re working on...”

-Eric
02-02-2020, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
it appears from photos that original style cases for the Pentax ME Super and similar SLR are not practical

it appears that the case must be removed in order to load film

and if a winder is mounted to the camera body, the case cannot fit

can anyone confirm that for me

I'm curious because I just got a ME Super and Winder ( II ) from a forum member in order to celebrate my birthday ( my dad used one back in the day )
I like using ever-ready cases, despite the common opinion that they are not worthwhile. I got a Pentax Spotmatic in 1970 and have used it ever since, nearly always in its ever-ready case (which is real leather). The case has held up very well over 50 years, and I credit the case for protecting the camera very well over those years as well. I don't have a problem keeping the top part of the case latched onto the bottom part. When I want to take a picture, you just unsnap the top part and rotate it forward so it hangs below the camera, and you can use the camera as you need to take the shot. Then you fold it back over the camera and snap it shut if you are done. Two things though: first, this all works well if you are walking around outside taking a picture or two here or there - as someone noted, folks who grew up in the film era often tooks days or weeks to burn through 36 exposures. At times when I was shooting a lot at one time, or didn't need the extra protection, I'd remove the top part of the case (and have to stow it somewhere), and when I needed to work with a tripod I'd remove the case entirely. Second, this works well if you mostly use just the normal lens, or a wide angle prime. The lens has to fit well within the case. They did make "small, medium, long" versions of these cases, but I've always thought the large cases that would handle a zoom just seemed too much. Back when I first learned photography most people just used primes, and quite often a normal or wide angle for most shots, so this wasn't much of a problem.

I agree with other posters here that the official Pentax cases in the "M" era were made of materials that, over the years, have not proven to be durable. The materials starts to get soft, sticky, and then to flake off. You are much better off buying that aftermarket case sold by Pacific Rim (and other vendors on ebay). I bought one, and I can attest that it is still in good condition (many are "new old stock"), it fits as it should, and the materials used seem just fine. I got mine to use on a Pentax Super Program, which uses the same size case as the ME Super.

Richard.

Last edited by OldChE; 02-02-2020 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added picture
02-02-2020, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
I credit the case for protecting the camera very well over those years as well.
Most of the 35mm SLRs we find used in beautiful condition owe such to the cameras being kept in their cases when not being used.

Steve

02-03-2020, 11:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

And occasionally lenses are minty because he owners kept a skylight on. In the golden age the cases were all leather, later PU which is to leather as chipboard is to wood and quite frequently bonded to cardboard so stay out the wet later they were PVC and synthetic. Its interesting that very often the leather has survived better than the PVC stuff.

Back in the day for me the camera always rode in a good quality gadget bag bit if I was happy snapping they were always in their ever ready cases which stopped the bases getting scuffed and the cameras leatherette from getting messed up.
02-05-2020, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went to my local brick and mortar photo store yesterday and got a generic leather " ever ready " case and Asahi Pentax camera cover

Wolfe's Camera

Wolfe's Camera Shop | Topeka KS

slightly over sized for my ME Super + SMC Pentax but usable in great shape, looks brand new, for $5 during their " Dog Days " sale of used equipment

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-06-2020 at 05:37 AM.