Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2020, 05:46 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
question about leather case for a ME Super

it appears from photos that original style cases for the Pentax ME Super and similar SLR are not practical

it appears that the case must be removed in order to load film

and if a winder is mounted to the camera body, the case cannot fit

can anyone confirm that for me

I'm curious because I just got a ME Super and Winder ( II ) from a forum member in order to celebrate my birthday ( my dad used one back in the day )

01-31-2020, 06:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are correct.the fitting case is two pieces. The bottom half is attached to the tripod mount.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-01-2020 at 05:39 AM.
01-31-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You are correct.Tthe fitting case is two pieces. The bottom half is attached to the tripod mount.
so the winder cannot be used

and what about loading film, do you have to remove case ?
01-31-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
so the winder cannot be used

and what about loading film, do you have to remove case ?
Cannot use a winder with the case and you have to remove the case to open the back for replacing film.

01-31-2020, 07:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The case has to be removed to load film. Manufacturers called them eveready cases. Many people called them never ready cases. I used a small camera bag on those days.
01-31-2020, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never seen an ever-ready case that will allow film load/unload.
01-31-2020, 08:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Just like any other (N)ever ready cases form the period, you have to take the camera out of the case for loading film and no you can't use the winder

These cases were very useful for traveling and for the amateur photographer that would use 36exp film in several days, not in minutes.

I think I still have the never ready case for the MEs somehwere, I havent used it in years

it appears from photos that original style cases for the Pentax ME Super and similar SLR are not practical

can anyone confirm that for me

I'm curious because I just got a ME Super and Winder ( II ) from a forum member in order to celebrate my birthday ( my dad used one back in the day )

01-31-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a NOS Pentax OEM EverReady case for the ME/MX with winder, but no lens. Pentax made all sorts of Everyready cases for specialty purposes, but most of them are now extremely rare.

Phil.
01-31-2020, 11:01 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

t appears from photos that original style cases for the Pentax ME Super and similar SLR are not practical

Yes, I can confirm all of the above. The cases for the ME Super are as practical as any other everready case, meaning that they offer excellent protection and are a pain when shooting with both pieces. They work best with the front part removed. You are correct that film cannot be changed when the case is on the camera; I am trying to visualize how this might no be the case. AFAIK there was no case made to accommodate the body with winder attached.

The good news is that most (all?) the original cases were basically junk and very few have survived in serviceable condition so the choice of whether to use one has been made for us as far as genuine Pentax is concerned. That said, Pacific Rim Camera has two aftermarket (NOS in box) cases that will fit. (They are the type that attach by snapping over the strap lugs.) Have fun.

Pacific Rim Camera Catalog | K-mount Cases

BTW...I don't believe any were made of genuine leather.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-31-2020 at 11:34 AM.
01-31-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have a NOS Pentax OEM EverReady case for the ME/MX with winder, but no lens. Pentax made all sorts of Everyready cases for specialty purposes, but most of them are now extremely rare.

Phil.
I am trying to visualize how that would work around the grip.

Steve
01-31-2020, 02:56 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I'm not sure if mine is the same as Phil's, but I also have a Pentax branded leather case for MX and ME with a winder attached.
It fits either with winder and any smaller M or A lens attached (e.g. an M50/1.4 is fine, a K50 variant is not).
It's just a pull-over with two snaps on the back and a zipper at the side to aid getting it in and out easily.

Not quite sure where I got it, whether with an MX or separately, but I think the latter (I seem to remember being on a hunt for something like it some years back).
It's quite nice. Obviously the camera must be removed to use, but for simple low-profile protection it's great. (I bet the MX just loves feeling that velour on its skin.)

Edit: and this one is definitely made of genuine leather. Different grains throughout on the various stitched panels.
Also, it's possible to shoot it reasonably quickly by unzipping the side and unsnapping only the right same side so you can pull the camera out but leaving the case attached to through the strap opening on the left side with it still snapped in place. I always just remove it in practice and only use the case if I'm chucking it into a larger bag.
Attached Images

Last edited by Eyewanders; 01-31-2020 at 03:07 PM.
01-31-2020, 05:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have never seen any two-piece eveready case that allows user to open film door without removal of both halves.

The Pentax M-series era fitted cases were made of poor quality vinyl; most have by now practically disintegrated.
For those cameras I have had much better luck with third party eveready cases.

I remember Canon sold an "Action Case", an eveready type case that fit body and standard size lens with winder attached.

I have one of those soft leather(?) Pentax brand pouch type cases for the MX with Winder MX.
It is nice but not nearly as handy as a good two-piece eveready case.
Some current model large neoprene pouch for pro SLR/DSLR might fit an M-series body with winder attached.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-31-2020 at 06:51 PM.
01-31-2020, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
'm not sure if mine is the same as Phil's, but I also have a Pentax branded leather case for MX and ME with a winder attached.
Mine looks like Kevin's and that's good news that you could also attach a small lens as well. I've never used my case, as I don't have the ME/MX winder.

I found the case at a local camera store that was clearing out some NOS items they found in the attic of the store. I bought a bunch of Pentax camera cases, like the Super A/Program full & half case, as well as this ME/MX winder case.

Phil.
Attached Images

02-01-2020, 01:16 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

I have a blimp case for my MX which was designed to allow you to use the camera but muffle the noise.

MXcase01 par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

MXcase02 par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
02-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also regarding the M series OEM cases...they were not leather...more like pleather...they deteriorate and crack. I recently bought an MX case in the box and it still was dried out and cracking. I have a number of Spotmatic cases, which also fit the KX and KM (the K2 tripod socket doesn't lineup with these) that are still in great shape.