02-08-2020, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps it is time to start

to put some film into newly acquired Pentax SLR cameras

In December I bought a Z-1 because I wanted to use my FA limited as designed

In January a ME Super since my Dad had one

and today Super Program to help support my local brick and mortar store -Wolfe's Camera - Wolfe's Camera Shop | Topeka KS

[ they only carry " experienced " Pentax from trade ins ]

time to use them I guess

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-08-2020 at 05:37 PM.
02-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You will not regret the decision! There are a lot of us on here still shooting film. For myself, there’s about 20 film cameras in my house, and all but 2 work great!
02-08-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
time to use them I guess
yep got 5 loaded with film.....4 have had film in them for months!! it's stoopid...have many others that need to see a roll as well.....haven't even used a roll from the lot I got from you!!

need to shoot more than using at "special" moments which aren't even that special......
02-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have some FP4 (36) in my Z-1 now, only part the way through. Good thought though, maybe I should put the 77 on it for a while

02-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Perhaps it's time for me to dust off the old P30T as well... I need to start experimenting with some Portra and with some black and white film.
02-08-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
to put some film into newly acquired Pentax SLR cameras

In December I bought a Z-1 because I wanted to use my FA limited as designed

In January a ME Super since my Dad had one

and today Super Program to help support my local brick and mortar store -Wolfe's Camera - Wolfe's Camera Shop | Topeka KS

[ they only carry " experienced " Pentax from trade ins ]

time to use them I guess
Allen not much point in having them if you dont start using them. I recently dusted off one of my pz1ps and Super Program and started shooting again... It felt good to burn through a roll of film again.

Hope to see some some pics and discussion from you.
AL

Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-08-2020 at 09:21 PM.
02-09-2020, 02:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
yep got 5 loaded with film.....4 have had film in them for months!! it's stoopid...
I'm trying to get into the habit of sticking with one body (even one lens) until I've finished a roll, so only having one on the go at a time. It's a nice way to spend some 'quality time' with a single body when you have too many to choose from

02-09-2020, 03:41 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
cprobertson1 started a thread with a solution on how to choose what to photograph

Random photography-subject generator

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/401483-random-ph...ml#post4899510

I modified the idea to help me select what lens to try for a period of time:

I use this one:

Random Thing Picker

list your options

[ I list my lenses ]

and it selects one of the list and I then go out to try the lens for a while

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-09-2020 at 07:26 AM.
02-09-2020, 04:26 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MZ-S, with FA77, and Kodak Portra160.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
02-09-2020, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I think you will enjoy its, its a whole different dynamic to digital. Getting into film has competely rekindled my interest in photography. For a variety of reasons I quit as a pro about 10 years ago and never wanted to see another camera but picking up an old KX in a junk shop completely refreshed my outlook. Hope it will do the same for you and give you new perspectives.
02-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I'm trying to get into the habit of sticking with one body (even one lens) until I've finished a roll,
sounds like a plan....the problem 'getting the habit'

...the other habit I need is using some little 'field books' I have gotten to jot down info as well.......sadly they are still in their wrapper! ugh reckon I need to convince myself of more than 'good intentions'
02-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm surrounded by film bodies and have a fairly fresh 100 foot roll of Arista 200 in the bulk loader. I think it's time to roll some cassettes and go take some pictures.
02-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
MZ-S, with FA77, and Kodak Portra160.
Beautiful, as usual.

02-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Using film cameras is a very rewarding experience, much more so than digital, mainly because the cameras are a pleasure to use. The results have a whole different aesthetic AF makes life easier but the old manual cameras are such a joy to use I almost don't care how good the shots are later.
02-22-2020, 03:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Using film cameras is a very rewarding experience, much more so than digital, mainly because the cameras are a pleasure to use. The results have a whole different aesthetic AF makes life easier but the old manual cameras are such a joy to use I almost don't care how good the shots are later.
Yep thats about how I feel as well. I have been putting film through my collection. Mostly I see it as test rolls to make sure all is well but there have been a few good shots in amongst it. I just love using them.
I was in Japan last year and although I took a lot of pics (almost 4000) with the happy snappy digital I also ran off some film in my ancient Konica rangefinder. Most of the output was scrap but it was fun shooting it plus the camera was a real talking point when shopping round the camera shops and gave me some leverage talking price. Also out in the trail ran into a young guy shooting a Canon AE1 whow as discovering film for the first time which was cool and it made some of the locals smile as well.