Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #1

k 1000 particular model

Hi guys, I'm new of this forum, I'm Italian and I'm writing here because a few days ago I bought on internet a k1000. The camera is in wonderfull conditions and it seems a strange version because it has a metal top and bottom plates with the serial number engraved on the bottom plate but it has no logo on the pentaprism and no "ASAHI" name, but there's "ASAHI OPT CO" engraved on the back of the top plate. The serial number engraved starts with 630xxxx. I saw the database, and the camera with this serial number seems to be produced in Hong Kong from approximately '79 to '82 but I'm not sure about it...in many articles that I've found on internet some people say that there are transition version. yesterday I contacted the seller, and he told me that this camera could be a transition version and can't be a Chinese production because the Chinese version is in plastic instead of metal with no "ASAHI OPT CO" engraved on the back of the top plate.
I would be really curious to know what kind of production it is! I saw only 2 models with these features, but they have an higher serial number than mine
I hope someone could help me with this arduous research

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
02-12-2020, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello and welcome to the forum!
That looks exactly like my original K1000, bought in 1989. But my serial number is 84xxx. From the database, it seems that was common for serial numbers 83xxx and 84xxx. Roughly around 1988-1990. Could it be that your unit was repaired and had the top cover replaced at some point?

Thanks,
02-13-2020, 06:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi ismaelg, I don’t know because I bought it on internet, but it’s very strange that the top plate is in metal with the “Asahi opt co” name engraved on the back of the top plate and no “Asahi” and logo in the front of pentaprism, the series with no logo and name is the Chinese one, but is totally in plastic... another strange thing is that the serial number seems from the second production in Hong Kong...the camera weights about 610g without the lens, battery and film...all the features like film lever or rewind knob are in metal like the Japanese or Hong Kong productions...at this point I’m really very curious to know which series probably is!
What do you think about it?
Is there someone who has more informations?
02-13-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Try
My beloved original K1000 - PentaxForums.com

02-13-2020, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am pretty sure it is a Hong Kong build. As far as I know all Japan built had the serial number on top. The metal top without the logo seems to be from late in the Hong Kong era. That's why I think yours may be either a replaced top cover, or maybe the bottom cover was replaced with an older one, hence the lower serial number. Bottom covers were (are) easily damaged and could be prone to corrosion if left with a dead battery.
If only it could talk!

Thanks,
02-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Thank you xmas! , yes it's the same version!

---------- Post added 02-13-20 at 12:48 PM ----------

Ok so there are two options: 1) this version is a late hong kong version with bottom plate replaced. 2) is an early hong kong version with metal top replaced with a later hong kong one
yes if only it could talk!!
02-14-2020, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by sanfarison Quote
Hi guys, I'm new of this forum, I'm Italian and I'm writing here because a few days ago I bought on internet a k1000. The camera is in wonderfull conditions and it seems a strange version because it has a metal top and bottom plates with the serial number engraved on the bottom plate but it has no logo on the pentaprism and no "ASAHI" name, but there's "ASAHI OPT CO" engraved on the back of the top plate. The serial number engraved starts with 630xxxx. I saw the database, and the camera with this serial number seems to be produced in Hong Kong from approximately '79 to '82 but I'm not sure about it...in many articles that I've found on internet some people say that there are transition version. yesterday I contacted the seller, and he told me that this camera could be a transition version and can't be a Chinese production because the Chinese version is in plastic instead of metal with no "ASAHI OPT CO" engraved on the back of the top plate.
I would be really curious to know what kind of production it is! I saw only 2 models with these features, but they have an higher serial number than mine
I hope someone could help me with this arduous research
The version you have is called a bitsa. They are very prevalent nowadays.

It is a series IV top plate. (released 1989)
With a series II bottom plate. (Approx 1980 from serial number)

Judging from the condition of the eye viewer & general black areas of body (lack of wear marks) I would guess it is most likely a series IV body which has had the bottom plate replaced for some reason. If it is a series IV check the viewfinder as this is the version where the silver delamination on the prism started to become prevalent.

It is definitely NOT a transition version. Nothing at all about the body ties in to suggest that. Your 2 main components are 2 clear version apart.
Unfortunately nothing special but it looks like a very good user body. My advise is :- Enjoy using it!

Last edited by Tool_Horder; 02-14-2020 at 02:19 PM.
02-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tool_Horder Quote
The version you have is called a bitsa. They are very prevalent nowadays.

It is a series IV top plate. (released 1989)
With a series II bottom plate. (Approx 1980 from serial number)

Judging from the condition of the eye viewer & general black areas of body (lack of wear marks) I would guess it is most likely a series IV body which has had the bottom plate replaced for some reason. If it is a series IV check the viewfinder as this is the version where the silver delamination on the prism started to become prevalent.

It is definitely NOT a transition version. Nothing at all about the body ties in to suggest that. Your 2 main components are 2 clear version apart.
Unfortunately nothing special but it looks like a very good user body. My advise is :- Enjoy using it!
Thank you very much!! 😃😃
02-18-2020, 05:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Inspect the shutter travel with back open if it seems ok try a cheap film.

A dev tank,... etc. And mono film is the simplest option given most seem to have a scanner now days.