Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2020, 10:37 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My "accidentally" acquired Pentax ME

Hello,

Ok, bear with me. I was not looking for a Pentax ME. Honest.
As I have stated before, my M50 f1.7 is my all time favorite lens. It made me acquire the A version and the F version as well. Love that 50mm f1.7 formula. So I was looking for a possible second backup M50 f1.7. As a well kept secret they are still affordable. Usually around the $40 range for a good used copy. I was about to pull the trigger on one when I found this ebay listing for an ME body with the M50 f1.7. Let's just say I won the auction for $30 including shipping. So I thought I would get the lens and a tired body as a lens cap. Good deal. However...... well, take a look.

It came in this tired ever-ready cover

Inside was the ME with the 50f1.7 lens and a lens cover

the camera was dusty but it looked good expect for a ding at the top

While quite noticeable, the ding doesn't affect anything as far as I can tell

The inside looks very clean

Dust and debris in the focusing screen and some streaks in the mirror.

But the lens was in OUTSTANDING condition. Looks almost mint except for a speck or two of dust inside, not worth opening it up. A dust off on the outside was all it needed.
The body cleaned up very nicely and the mirror and focusing screen areas are like new!
But the best part? Fresh batteries and it works beautifully!

So I now have my backup M50mm f1.7! I did a quick test with it in the K100DS and it works great. And it has a great ME as a lens cover

Oh well, I guess I now need to take her out for a spin as well....

As for the ever-ready case, stay tuned for a just for fun restoration attempt.

Thanks,

Last edited by ismaelg; 02-15-2020 at 10:43 AM.
02-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Congratulations on an acquisition that exceeded expectations, it 's always nice
02-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Ok, bear with me. I was not looking for a Pentax ME. Honest.
As I have stated before, my M50 f1.7 is my all time favorite lens. It made me acquire the A version and the F version as well. Love that 50mm f1.7 formula. So I was looking for a possible second backup M50 f1.7. As a well kept secret they are still affordable. Usually around the $40 range for a good used copy. I was about to pull the trigger on one when I found this ebay listing for an ME body with the M50 f1.7. Let's just say I won the auction for $30 including shipping. So I thought I would get the lens and a tired body as a lens cap. Good deal. However...... well, take a look.

It came in this tired ever-ready cover

Inside was the ME with the 50f1.7 lens and a lens cover

the camera was dusty but it looked good expect for a ding at the top

While quite noticeable, the ding doesn't affect anything as far as I can tell

The inside looks very clean

Dust and debris in the focusing screen and some streaks in the mirror.

But the lens was in OUTSTANDING condition. Looks almost mint except for a speck or two of dust inside, not worth opening it up. A dust off on the outside was all it needed.
The body cleaned up very nicely and the mirror and focusing screen areas are like new!
But the best part? Fresh batteries and it works beautifully!

So I now have my backup M50mm f1.7! I did a quick test with it in the K100DS and it works great. And it has a great ME as a lens cover

Oh well, I guess I now need to take her out for a spin as well....

As for the ever-ready case, stay tuned for a just for fun restoration attempt.

Thanks,
In my opinion, the ME is a more reliable camera than the ME super, so good find. That 1.7 lens has also been a part of my photographic life. As for the case with stuff flaking off, keep the camera well away until it is restored. I have done a few of these myself.
A quick and nasty method is to varnish the outside to stick the stuff down, but for a better solution, scrape the old coating off with the back of a blade. The undersurface has a suede look to it. I left mine like this, but if you want to experiment with applying a paint or sealant, that is an option.
02-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
In my opinion, the ME is a more reliable camera than the ME super, so good find. That 1.7 lens has also been a part of my photographic life. As for the case with stuff flaking off, keep the camera well away until it is restored. I have done a few of these myself.
A quick and nasty method is to varnish the outside to stick the stuff down, but for a better solution, scrape the old coating off with the back of a blade. The undersurface has a suede look to it. I left mine like this, but if you want to experiment with applying a paint or sealant, that is an option.
Hi,
I have the ME which I've had for years, my first SLR and recently bought an ME Super in fairly good condition and used a roll of B&W film through it only once.
The result wasn't too bad so now I'm really curious to know why you say the ME is more reliable than the Super. Just interested, that's all.
Cheers Dinah

02-15-2020, 10:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoLady Quote
Hi,
I have the ME which I've had for years, my first SLR and recently bought an ME Super in fairly good condition and used a roll of B&W film through it only once.
The result wasn't too bad so now I'm really curious to know why you say the ME is more reliable than the Super. Just interested, that's all.
Cheers Dinah
Be aware these are opinions from my experience, not objective tests. Unlike the MX which was intended for professional use, the ME family was less robust.
The ME and MX came out about 1976, and we bought one of each a year later. Both are still fully operational although they have had long periods of rest. The ME Super I have, eventually first started having trouble with cocking the shutter when advancing the film. It took several advances to load the shutter. This was a known issue, and when I opened the bottom was rather disappointed with the flimsy construction of stamped metal.
The second issue came a little later when the communication between the meter and the shutter failed. Whether this has anything to do with the different computer circuitry allowing speed to be manually selected, I don't know. The plastic selector knob on either ME types can shrink with age and on all my examples has popped off as it is a press-fit. If you are lucky you can push it back on before you lose the bits it holds on.
You may be lucky and never have a problem, and I hope that is the case. If you can find a good MX, or KX or KM you will have a well built camera.