Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #1

Pentax mx dirty focusing screen

Hello

I just got a Pentax mx and the focusing screen is a bit dirty so looking online I found cheap Chinese made double 45 degrees split screen.
Is it worth it? Should I wait to find an original one?

Thanks

02-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The MX screen is easy to pop out. use a blower to try and clean it and behind it but dont use any fluid on it or a cloth. Imn my experience you will only make it worse.
02-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The MX screen is easy to pop out. use a blower to try and clean it and behind it but dont use any fluid on it or a cloth. Imn my experience you will only make it worse.
Yeah, already tried with no improvement.
(It's even a bit scratched)

02-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepitajack Quote
Yeah, already tried with no improvement.
(It's even a bit scratched)
Mine is pretty grubby too. It has no affect on the pictures, so if you can, just live with it.

02-23-2020, 05:10 PM   #5

I would hold out for a Pentax screen. Does LX screen also fit? I'm not sure so maybe someone here can confirm.

---------- Post added 02-23-20 at 05:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I would hold out for a Pentax screen. Does LX screen also fit? I'm not sure so maybe someone here can confirm.
I check and yes LX and MX have the same sized screens. eBay has a number of screens...I saw a SA-3 for $15 or so...an SG for $50. The SG is nice...center circle but not microprism... Also keep your eyes open for an MX as is body...I saw one auction for $20 ...probably has a good screen.
02-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I check and yes LX and MX have the same sized screens. eBay has a number of screens...I saw a SA-3 for $15 or so...an SG for $50. The SG is nice...center circle but not microprism... Also keep your eyes open for an MX as is body...I saw one auction for $20 ...probably has a good screen.
The screens are the same size, but LX screens are not fully compatible on the MX and will result in mild (0.3 EV) underexposure on that camera. For more information as well as a full listing of screens with descriptions:

Pentax Focusing Screens | The K-Mount Page

Steve
02-23-2020, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I've been known to be wrong, but I believe the LX screens will throw the exposure meter off a bit.
I live in a very dry climate, so while I don't have to worry about fungus, I do have rather dusty equipment. I've learned to embrace dirt.

Edit: I see Steve has better information.
02-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks

so i think i'll follow your suggestion and l'm goint to search a possible pristine genuine mx focusing screen

02-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LX screens are easier to find and will fit the MX perfectly.
It is claimed they are a bit brighter but it's hardly noticeable.
Eric Hendrickson told me recalibrating the meter is not necessary.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 02-24-2020 at 06:30 PM.
02-24-2020, 07:47 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
LX screens are easier to find and will fit the MX perfectly.
It is claimed they are a bit brighter but it's hardly noticeable.
Eric Hendrickson told me recalibrating the meter is not necessary.

Chris
I'd agree. 1/3 stop is insignificant for negative film and even with transparencies assuming a center weighted meter reading is the right exposure is not necessarily the best exposure. When I did shoot transparencies I tended to under expose a little for better color saturation...or at least I'd bracket that direction. Right now I'm seeing a SG screen on eBay for $50. I picked up an MX recently that had that screen in it. It has a larger center circle for fine focus and is great with long telephoto lenses (or slower lenses). Btw...another way to buy an MX screen is by looking for a parts body...sometimes you find them we'll under $50.

07-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #11

Original Poster
Luckily I bought a sc1 replacement not scratched but after installed I noticed that the matte part of the focusing screen was still a bit more dark compared to other slr I've used in the past.
Is it possible that the mx screen is more "grainy" against competitors (I have used recently a Nikon fe2)

Thanks