Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

35mm Film Scanner

I own an Epson V600 to scan my 135 and 120 negatives. While I am generally happy with the scans, I want a faster process with 135 film. I would like to get a dedicated 35mm scanner for under $500 but the choices are all over the place.

I have narrowed it down to 3 choices:

Used Nikon Coolscan IV $200 to $350 used (depending on accessories) + 100 dollars for vuescan software
If I can get a SA-21 strip scanner, I would be able to scan much faster, which appeals to me

New Plustek 8100se or ai $400 or $500

New Pacific Image XAs $450

It is important for me to use USB, i have no desire to mess with using an old computer set up as a scsi or firewire box.

Anyone have any tips or suggestion of other scanners?

02-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a different but related model of the Pacific Image scanner (I think it is different but I could be wrong) but it isn't fast. I've been pleased with the results from it but would still reccomend moving up to a better version of the software it comes with. Another option to consider is scanning with your DSLR.
02-25-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't think any of the scanners you mentioned would really speed up the process of scanning, except maybe the Primefilm XA.
02-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I still use my old CanoScan FS4000US on a SCSI interface. With VueScan under Windows 10 there's no problem. Scanning at 4000dpi it gives effectively a 20Mpixel full-frame scan within a couple of minutes. The device does have USB capability, but it's only USB1 so it is S-L-O-W! When I bought Vuescan it was effectively just out of beta, as far as I remember was only available in one version, and was "free updates for life". Well, it's now in three versions of capability, my original purchase has entitled me to a "pro" version and the updates still keep coming

If you're looking to scan colour negs/slides or chromogenic negs, eg Ilford XP, having a scanner with infra-red dust detection is well worth while. For "normal" silver-based b&w negatives the feature doesn't work and you're reliant on software or good old-fashioned "spotting" to clean things up.

I've no experience with anything newer, I've simply never needed a reason to change

Last edited by kypfer; 02-28-2020 at 04:11 PM. Reason: sp
02-25-2020, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Always be on the lookout for the Coolscan V, preferably with the film strip adapter included in your price range.
02-25-2020, 05:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the Nikon will come with Firewire. My Coolscan had that as the standard interface. I really liked Firewire because it was fast and friendly but it's hard to get it to talk to today's computer equipment.

Your fastest solution is to use a camera with a film holder and macro lens to do captures but that approach prevents any means of on-the-fly dust or scratch removal which is available with some film scanners.
02-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The CoolScan LS-40ED and LS-50ED have a USB interface

03-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions, I ended up getting a Coolscan V ED with the slide adapter and strip adapter for $400 on that auction website. Going to probably use Silverfast with it, since I like Silverfast a lot better than Vuescan.
03-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Congratulations!
I took my own advice and looked on local CL listings and found a Coolscan V for sale just down the street from me. I picked it up, plugged it into my PC running Nikonscan under Windows Vista and it is good to go. From the few I've scanned, the results are exactly what I expected having scanned many films on the 5000 and 9000. You may not want to compare scans from your Epson or you might just end up rescanning those . . .
03-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Congratulations!
I took my own advice and looked on local CL listings and found a Coolscan V for sale just down the street from me. I picked it up, plugged it into my PC running Nikonscan under Windows Vista and it is good to go. From the few I've scanned, the results are exactly what I expected having scanned many films on the 5000 and 9000. You may not want to compare scans from your Epson or you might just end up rescanning those . . .
FWIW, Nikonscan will run fine on Windows 10, but there's a little trick to installing it.
03-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
FWIW, Nikonscan will run fine on Windows 10, but there's a little trick to installing it.
Been awhile but was that only applicable to the V & 5000 using USB and not the 9000 which uses firewire?
03-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Been awhile but was that only applicable to the V & 5000 using USB and not the 9000 which uses firewire?
Ya, not sure about Firewire, but I have a Coolscan V and I use it with Nikonscan on my Windows 10 computer.
03-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got scanner this evening and the scanner is in almost new in box shape, it even came with the box and manuals. The Nikon Scan 4 software to work in Windows 10, by using XP compatibility mode combined with vuescan drivers. I just did a test scan and its amazing the difference in color quality and evenness of sharpness compared to my V600.
03-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I got scanner this evening and the scanner is in almost new in box shape, it even came with the box and manuals. The Nikon Scan 4 software to work in Windows 10, by using XP compatibility mode combined with vuescan drivers. I just did a test scan and its amazing the difference in color quality and evenness of sharpness compared to my V600.
Since you just did it, can you confirm whether or not this vuescan driver is for USB?

BTW, I don't know how familiar you are with using Nikonscan but I made an album that shows how you can setup settings in Nikonscan so that you can save it and recall it for application on future scans.

Nikonscan settings to save and recall

Pictures 1 - 5 shows the steps to setup settings to be saved
Pictures 6 - 13 shows how to recall and apply the saved settings to use in scanning

Hope it helps.
03-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The vuescan driver works for USB. The Coolscan 5000 and V are USB.