Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #1

Pentax 67 cold weather reset button

Hi Guys,
Today I used my Pentax 67 in really cold conditions (-23C) and the shutter and mirror we're blocked when I pushed the shutter. The red test lamp of my battery didnt work and started to work again once my camera heated up after a few hours inside.

My question is: if this happend again, should I remove the battery first ASAP so that it doesn't drain because the aperture is still open?

and

When pushing the reset button (then the mirror locks again back in place) should I remove the battery or can I just press the reset button while my film and camera are inside the camera?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Warm regards

02-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gjest Quote
Hi Guys,
Today I used my Pentax 67 in really cold conditions (-23C) and the shutter and mirror we're blocked when I pushed the shutter. The red test lamp of my battery didnt work and started to work again once my camera heated up after a few hours inside.

My question is: if this happend again, should I remove the battery first ASAP so that it doesn't drain because the aperture is still open?

and

When pushing the reset button (then the mirror locks again back in place) should I remove the battery or can I just press the reset button while my film and camera are inside the camera?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Warm regards
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the 67 manual, it goes over the mirror reset:

https://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_67.pdf

If you are going to shoot in the cold a lot then I would recommend getting the 67 remote battery cord. (The battery is kept inside your coat in a warm pocket)

Phil.
02-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the 67 manual, it goes over the mirror reset:

https://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_67.pdf

If you are going to shoot in the cold a lot then I would recommend getting the 67 remote battery cord. (The battery is kept inside your coat in a warm pocket)

Phil.
Thank you for the advice and the link Phil!
02-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The remote battery cord is one option (where you can find it), but in temperatures so very, very low, the camera (like so many others) will still suffer from 'cold soak' where the ambient cold reaches beyond the outer body to the inside of the camera, subsquently freeezing the myriad mechanisms that get things like the shutter, mirror and winding mechanism going. Minus 23 is far too low and risky for these cameras. I've never thought of any of the Pentax 6x7 / 67 cameras as anything near ideal extreme weather condition cameras for their propensity to seize in temperatures as low as minus 6 (my own!).

Bring the camera inside, but not such a warm environment that condensation forms. Leave the battery in the camera for mirror reset; the mechanism will not reset in the absence of power. Press the reset, press the shutter button once and wind on.

02-28-2020, 12:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you silent street. In the past In had no problems with my canon eos 30 and Mamiya 645 but these ones are less 'metalic' and the temperature was never below -20C. Within a few days it will het 'warmer' (-15) hopefully the pentax Will function more properly by then. Thank you for the help and explanation!