Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2020, 02:38 PM - 4 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
You can get a lot of camera for not very much

Recent auction haul on Goodwill. I was only really after a film p&s and don't really like the more bulky Pentax compacts so this one caught my eye. Just happened to come with an SLR and two (kit) lenses. Just waiting on some batteries now. I suspect they've been in the camera for a fair few years but fortunately no sign of leakage or corrosion.

Attached Images

03-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, $25 for the lot?
03-14-2020, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
So, $25 for the lot?
$28 actually - plus shipping of course...
03-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the pop-up flash pop-up?

03-14-2020, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Does the pop-up flash pop-up?
I would say it "emerges" rather than pops up. I prefer that to popping up and not going back in it's hole ...
03-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
I would say it "emerges" rather than pops up. I prefer that to popping up and not going back in it's hole ...
I have several ZX-5s. All of them have a broken pop-up flash spring...
03-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
$28 actually - plus shipping of course...
Sweet.

03-14-2020, 07:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was a time when this was 'cutting edge' . . . an' folks were saying their knowledge and skill was the limiting factor. That's still true today. Show your best work.
03-15-2020, 07:31 AM   #9

I just read an article on dpreview about warning people not to buy into film cameras (due to the high cost) without thinking things through.

I just wonder what cameras people are buying for that to be the case.

Plenty of Pentax film gear on ebay for typically 50-100 USD, body +/- lens.
03-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
I just wonder what cameras people are buying for that to be the case.
Only a few Pentax suffer from price inflation, K1000s mainly. The MX, LX, & MZ-S still carry high price tags IMO. The MX will last a lot longer than th LX or MZ-S though.

Canon AE-1s are very overpriced. Any of the A series really. Electronic caneras that will die.

Nikon F3, F100, FM2, FE2 etc...The FM will live forever but the others are electronic...

High end point and shoot like the Contax T3. Even the Olympus Mju series, which used to sell for less than $50, now sells for $150 or more. Paying hundreds of dollars (or over a thousand for the Contax) for 30 to 40 year old electronics...

Plus the cost of film keeps going up.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-15-2020 at 08:50 AM.
03-15-2020, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Plus the cost of film keeps going up.
I don't think Kodak did itself any favours with its justification for its recent price hike.

If you need to ramp up production because your product is so popular, you borrow the money and recoup it through your increased sales. You don't ask your customers to pay for this increased productivity in advance because Kodak sure as hell isn't going to drop those prices back again at a later date. Sorry for the thread drift.
03-15-2020, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When your plastic Pentax cameras suffer unrepairable breakdown you can go back to your older Pentax bodies...

Chris
03-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #13

I was given a Canon AE-1 which was my uncle's. My aunt was having a clear-out and she felt I would make best use of it. It had been stuck in a cupboard for twenty-nine years, untouched. The 6V lithium battery (I was expecting the worst) had a potential of 2.2V. Bought a new one, popped it in and 'Voila!' Looks good so far. Five shots of a test-film used. Really the seals need replacing as they're a bit gooey.

Anyway... It's plastic, dressed up to look like metal. My CD player, bought around the same time, my Casio FX-81 calculator and my Hi-Fi amplifier, again, of similar vintage, have ALL exhibited plastic degradation where vital components have taken on the properties of crumbly cheese. The plastic of the AE-1, as I understand, is ABS. If PVC plastic comes into contact with polystyrene, say, it will degrade faster and quite ferociously. Not sure of ABS properties. But it doesn't bode well for longevity of plastic components, of which I've been suspicious since I was eleven years old when the new locomotive for my train set failed after a few weeks: the motor drive worm, made from plastic, wore out rendering the loco useless.

So plastic cameras will in fact wear out. They'll go brittle, crumble and eventually disintegrate. And it won't take as long as you think.
03-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Everything eventually breaks down. The older I get the more I can appreciate that!

I recently started shooting again with my Pz1ps that I bought New in The Mid 90s. I love those cameras. I ran alot of slide film through them before I switched to digital. They then sat largely unused for the last 10 years in a storage box.., Popped in some new batteries and They are still just as good as they were then. Over the last few months I have picked up a few more and will probably continue to as funds allow and when I see a deal.. They and the Pz 1 can be had for $50 -$80 on auction sites often. Released mid90s, 25-ish years and still working is a pretty darn good life span. I've gotten my money's worth. I'm sure they will eventually wear out which is why I have several. I do also have various manual pentax bodies too and those still amaze me by how old they are and how they just keep on working.

I also picked up a few pz20s for dirt cheap that are even older and still working as well. I think alot really depends on the care and use of the old camera, whether metal or plastic body. I know my plastic camera's will break one day.. but theres also a ton of metal ones that are paper weights out there...some being sold for insane amounts of money.. K1000s take the cake.

al
03-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #15

If you're really attached to a camera (or anything) with degraded plastic components, I suppose the 3D printer is your friend.