Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax MZ-3 question (MZ-S related, too)

I'm considering dipping my toes into the ocean of older analog film Pentaxes and am wondering if any MZ-3 owners or aficionados can answer a question I have about MZ-3's - which have the reputation both of being great cameras - and occasionally prone either to sticking shutters - or to the dreaded stripped (or melted) plastic-mirror-gear problem. My question has to do with the years of manufacture - and the serial numbers - and whether there is or might be a correlation between buying a later-year MZ-3 with a higher serial number - which might have less potential problems?

Or, to put it differently - what serial number or numbers on the MZ-3's indicate a newer (or later year of manufacture) model? Anyone know...?

And - a related question - some MZ-3's for sale say 'Asahi Optical Company' on the bottom plate - whereas a few others say 'Pentax Corporation' - are the 'Pentax' labeled ones newer than the 'Asahi' ones? And if so --- which is (or might be) better?

Incidentally, I have the same questions for the other cool older film Pentax which caught my eye - the MZ-S. Which, like other MZ cameras, also seems to have suffered occasionally from the dreaded stripped-plastic-mirror-gear syndrome. If any of you MZ-S owners have thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

Muchas gracias in advance!

03-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MiguelATF Quote

Incidentally, I have the same questions for the other cool older film Pentax which caught my eye - the MZ-S. Which, like other MZ cameras, also seems to have suffered occasionally from the dreaded stripped-plastic-mirror-gear syndrome. If any of you MZ-S owners have thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

Muchas gracias in advance!
There has been a few threads on this subject with the MZ-S and other cameras in MZ series in the film forum. Basically if your MZ-S s/n starts with a 5xxxxxxx you "should" have the brass gear, if it starts with a 4xxxxxx then it "may" have the plastic mirror gear. Even if your camera has the plastic gear it does not mean it will die the first time you use it.

Phil.
03-17-2020, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See this >>

MZ-S.......can they be repaired???? - PentaxForums.com
03-17-2020, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The MZ-S and grip are a sought after combination - and priced accordingly. The plastic gear issue is a major problem given the cost involved. The MZ-3 was sold with the FA43 as a combo and probably sold fewer than the MZ-5n which was a good camera produced for a long time (I can't remember the differences).

I haven't seen many MZ-3s for sale, but an MZ-5n should be reasonably cheap. My preference would be for a Z-1, a more capable camera for a fraction of the price of an MZ-S, or an MZ-5n. Even if either Z-1 or MZ-5n also have a similar issue, the amount of cash at risk would be much less.

You've mentioned AF bodies so I've suggested alternative options, however there are many manual focus options. AF bodies added the features to shoot fast action sequences - now much better served with a DSLR. Manual focus cameras are much more alluring in these DSLR days, and in most cases are worthwhile repairing unlike most AF SLRs.

03-17-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to chose a camera from the MZ series, I would recommend to think about buying a MZ-7 or MZ-6 in favour of a MZ-5 or MZ-3. The classic operating concept of the MZ-3 and the MZ-5 means, they rely on lenses with aperture ring, to work in aperture priority. While the MZ-6 and MZ-7 are capable of setting the aperture throught the body. This means you can use a full frame lens with slot-driven auto-focus like the Sigma 70 mm macro or a Tokina/Sigma 70-200 without limitations on a MZ-7, while you can only use them with program and shutter priority mode on a MZ-3/5.
However if your are using pentax lenses only, this not a big limitation, as most of the FF-lenses from pentax either have an aperture ring, or no slot-drive autofocus any more.
The Z-1 is a good option too, but probably more expensive then a MZ-7. But surely more reliable.

Look here for lens and camera compability.
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 03-17-2020 at 08:06 AM.
03-18-2020, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

The biggest difference between MZ3 and MZ5n is the max shutter speed.. 1/4000 vs 1/2000
If you love a more traditional camera style go with MZ3-5 (dial knobs, using the aperture ring, small and light); if you prefer the DSLR style (shutter/aperture dial gears), Z1/Z1p is the solution.
03-18-2020, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's also the MZ-6/MZ-L/ZX-L (All the same camera with different names)

Pentax MZ-6 / MZ-L / ZX-L - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

1/4000 s top shutter, P-TTL and "regular" TTL flash compatibility, and offers nearly full compatibility with any vintage K-mount lenses (no power zoom on some FAs)

And often really cheap... I bought a spare for $25 in case my "main" one breaks (paid maybe $40 for that one...)

-Eric

03-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have read through almost all of the older threads on the MZ series cameras - describing and occasionally detailing the cracked plastic gear problem - the mirror problem - the DOF switch problem - and variations thereof.

Several of the more technically minded posts, from people who have actually worked on and repaired some of the above, seem to suggest that some of the cameras that were purchased in the later production runs, had less problems due to improved parts (for example: brass gears instead of the prone-to-cracking plastic ones).

Apparently, one way of distinguishing the later-production-run models - is that Pentax changed its corporate name, in or around 2002, from the Asahi Optical Company (Asahi Opt. Co.) to the Pentax Corporation. Several people suggested that cameras produced under the Pentax Corp name might or should be better bets than those made when Pentax was still the Asahi Opt Co

I get all that. And obviously buying an older camera is or can be a risky proposition (unless it's been recently CLA'ed) so it's the luck of the draw, in a way.

But my follow-up question is related to the manufacture of cameras in the later (Pentax Corp) years---

I've seen two different indicators---

The MZ-S with the "Pentax Corporation" tag also say "MADE IN JAPAN" ---

While the MZ-3's produced by the "Pentax Corporation" say: "ASSEMBLED IN PHILIPPINES" ---

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the relative merits of a) whether Pentax Corp models should be more reliable than Asahi Opt Co ones?
and b) whether the 'Assembled in Philippines' models should be better than the earlier Asahi Opt 'Made in Japan' ones?

Any and all thoughts, observations or comments on this will be appreciated
03-18-2020, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

while unable to say for sure that Made in Japan will definitely be better than Assembled in Phils.

But i will think, most people will go for Made in Japan, if there is a choice.

Back to camera bodies.
Yes, should look at MZ-L / MZ-6 as well.
For MZ-S, if at all possible, go for those with serial number starting with 54xxxx or 55xxxx.

Oh yes. If AF isnt a must.
Really should look at the LX.
03-19-2020, 12:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Oh yes. If AF isnt a must. Really should look at the LX.
Yup that's a good shout.
03-21-2020, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a nice MZ-3. I had Eric install an MZ-M focus screen for better manual focus.
IMO it's about the best in the series, except for the MZ-S which I have never owned.
The MZ-3 is uncommon outside Japan and so usually pricier than the MZ-5n.

FWIW I wouldn't buy any of these cameras unless it could be confirmed to have the metal gear.

Chris
03-30-2020, 06:48 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My new (to me) MZ-3 has just arrived

After hemming and hawing, I finally pulled the trigger on a later-production-model (made by the Pentax Corp, not Asahi Optical Co, with a high serial number) MZ-3 which I'm (perhaps over optimistically) hoping was produced with the metal gears (and not the earlier models plastic gear construction). Although, obviously, only time will tell. In its favor, it was significantly less expensive (and more affordable) than most of the small handful of MZ-S's that I saw for sale.

Am attaching a few photos of what is the first analog film camera I've bought in decades; the lens on it, an old (but fine) copy of the FA 50mm f/1.7, seems right for starters. And I have to say that, in spite of its all-plastic contruction, its in-hand 'feel' reminded me instantly of my former (long gone) Spotmatics and MX's.

Thanxxxx again to everyone for their observations and advice which have given me plenty of food for thought.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by MiguelATF; 03-30-2020 at 08:06 PM.
03-30-2020, 10:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I didn't realise they were offered in black, looks a stylish camera. The AA battery grip will be more cost effective than lithiums in the long run.

A neat find.
03-31-2020, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

beautiful. i wasn't aware there are all black MZ-3s.
03-31-2020, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

The black MZ-3 reminds me the fujifilm XT-1