Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2020, 02:20 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax ME Super light leak?

Hello guys, i've just gotten my pentax back from repair and shot two rolls of it
unfortunately there is this light leak which, i've been reading up, is coming from the front of the camera. the leak is not on every shot, mayb just 10/36 of it, could it be a particular shutter speed i shot at that affects the leak? ive attached some shots for reference.

Attached Images

03-19-2020, 03:27 AM   #2
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by choonie Quote
Hello guys, i've just gotten my pentax back from repair and shot two rolls of it
unfortunately there is this light leak which, i've been reading up, is coming from the front of the camera. the leak is not on every shot, mayb just 10/36 of it, could it be a particular shutter speed i shot at that affects the leak? ive attached some shots for reference.
If I am right, the vertical light patch changes position and intensity, the first and second picture on the left, the third one on the right. It looks like some light has entered the roll. That is perhaps why it is not on every picture. I used a ME Super for ages and did not come across this phenomena. I guess that if it had something to do with the shutter it would be horizontal. But as the intensity changes it could also be that the picture where the effect is strongest, the first one, had a longer exposure there and it could be that the light leaks when the camera is not in use and a longer lapse in time before the next picture is taken. But I still think that it is when still on the roll there has been a light leak, not when exposure took place. But of course, I might be mistaken.
03-19-2020, 05:18 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since it moves around on the frame a bit, I'd suggest the light is happening at one end of the camera or the other (not at the shutter).
The change in brightness of the leak could be due to how much light the camera was exposed to between shots, which can depend on how many photos you take in a row as well as how bright it is outside.

So if you are shooting a lot of shots in a row, you may only see the leak on the first one (or the last one, depending on where the leak is), and if you're outside on a bright day, they'll be more obvious in less time, if that makes sense.

I think that's the same thing AfterPentax said...

But I'd bet a light seal kit would fix you up.

-Eric
03-19-2020, 07:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
If I am right, the vertical light patch changes position and intensity, the first and second picture on the left, the third one on the right. It looks like some light has entered the roll. That is perhaps why it is not on every picture. I used a ME Super for ages and did not come across this phenomena. I guess that if it had something to do with the shutter it would be horizontal. But as the intensity changes it could also be that the picture where the effect is strongest, the first one, had a longer exposure there and it could be that the light leaks when the camera is not in use and a longer lapse in time before the next picture is taken. But I still think that it is when still on the roll there has been a light leak, not when exposure took place. But of course, I might be mistaken.
I notice there is this small tear on the light seal in the middle , could this be the issue?

Attached Images

03-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Since it moves around on the frame a bit, I'd suggest the light is happening at one end of the camera or the other (not at the shutter).
The change in brightness of the leak could be due to how much light the camera was exposed to between shots, which can depend on how many photos you take in a row as well as how bright it is outside.

So if you are shooting a lot of shots in a row, you may only see the leak on the first one (or the last one, depending on where the leak is), and if you're outside on a bright day, they'll be more obvious in less time, if that makes sense.

I think that's the same thing AfterPentax said...

But I'd bet a light seal kit would fix you up.

-Eric
about 10minutes prior to the first picture, i did a shot and the light leak was exactly the same as the third picture, just slightly more obvious. and yes it was a full on sunny day.
03-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I notice there is this small tear on the light seal in the middle , could this be the issue?
No, that's not a light seal, its the mirror damper designed to soften the impact of the mirror when it flips up. The slot is supposed to be there to give access to a screw.
03-19-2020, 08:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
No, that's not a light seal, its the mirror damper designed to soften the impact of the mirror when it flips up. The slot is supposed to be there to give access to a screw.
i see, well then i guess i have to send for repairs!

03-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i've just gotten my pentax back from repair
Did you have this problem before the 'repair'? How experienced/trustworthy is the repair shop? Was sunlight falling directly on the roll of film as you loaded it into the camera? I remember from my film days this was a no-no, so always did this in the shade or indoors.

Welcome to the forum.
03-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Did you have this problem before the 'repair'? How experienced/trustworthy is the repair shop? Was sunlight falling directly on the roll of film as you loaded it into the camera? I remember from my film days this was a no-no, so always did this in the shade or indoors.

Welcome to the forum.
it was from my uncle and was totally unusable, I've never used it before so after the repair it was my first time. the film was loaded under cloudy skies.
03-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

it was from my uncle and was totally unusable, I've never used it before so after the repair it was my first time. the film was loaded under cloudy skies.
OK, I've been playing with my own ME Super and a "dummy" roll of film. I think your problem is with the light seal that is on the hinged end of the back door, there should be a stip of felt about 5mm wide on the camera body, not the door itself.

In case you don't know, the image gets made onto the negative upside down so although you see the light leak on the left of the frame, it is actually on the right side of the negative. The other thing to know is that when the camera winds the film onto its take up spool, the light sensitive emulsion side ends up on the outside of the roll.

So I loaded my dummy film and I marked where the light leak was showing on your shots. I then wound the camera on two frames and that mark ended up right next to the door hinge. So the light damage is hitting your frame two shots after you have taken it.
03-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #11

Original Poster
OK, I've been playing with my own ME Super and a "dummy" roll of film. I think your problem is with the light seal that is on the hinged end of the back door, there should be a stip of felt about 5mm wide on the camera body, not the door itself.

In case you don't know, the image gets made onto the negative upside down so although you see the light leak on the left of the frame, it is actually on the right side of the negative. The other thing to know is that when the camera winds the film onto its take up spool, the light sensitive emulsion side ends up on the outside of the roll.

So I loaded my dummy film and I marked where the light leak was showing on your shots. I then wound the camera on two frames and that mark ended up right next to the door hinge. So the light damage is hitting your frame two shots after you have taken it.
not sure if you can see, but the circled area shows the plastic/metal part of the camera, and there wasnt any felt, could this be the problem? is your mark around the area too? and thanks alot for the explaination, am still learning with this camera. appreciate it.
Attached Images

03-19-2020, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #12

IMHO that should be clear of felt. It is a frame counter reset pin.
03-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

not sure if you can see, but the circled area shows the plastic/metal part of the camera, and there wasnt any felt, could this be the problem? is your mark around the area too? and thanks alot for the explaination, am still learning with this camera. appreciate it.
Don't worry about that little indentation. If you look at the top edge of the camera door you will see the little spike which sits into that indentation.

I can see from your photograph that there is a seal on the body at the hinge end but is it in good condition? With the camera door closed, can you slide a stiff piece of paper under the hinge?

Your felt should look something like this
03-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #14

Original Poster
Don't worry about that little indentation. If you look at the top edge of the camera door you will see the little spike which sits into that indentation.

I can see from your photograph that there is a seal on the body at the hinge end but is it in good condition? With the camera door closed, can you slide a stiff piece of paper under the hinge?

Your felt should look something like this
Seems like its not bad, the felt looks orderly. I couldn't slide any paper into the hinges
Attached Images

03-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Time past, I've circumvented symptoms like this by fitting the "ever-ready" carrying case ... doesn't fix the problem, but can help prevent it causing an issue. Just remember, when changing film, to rewind the film before removing the case, then refit the case before winding on. You don't need to use the whole case if you don't want to, just the lower half is adequate ... might help save on further repair bills