Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2020, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
something to consider if you send your film out for developing

you may develop your own film or use another business to do it for you but I thought I would pass on this information since Process One may not be the only company

facing " slow down " situations

I woke up this AM wondering about the test roll of b/w film I sent off to be processed at Process One in Overland Park KS

called today and was told by the owner, that per city order, his employees could not work starting tomorrow

he promised to process as soon as he could but he would be the only person so he would be doing all the stuff

another problem is that since the business is supposed to be closed, he is not sure the US Mail would be dropping off at his business

[ my film, sent last Thursday, had not yet arrived ]

I thanked him and wished the best to him, his family, his employees and their families

03-23-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear. I bet the mail will be delivered eventually but this is going to take some time to pass.
03-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Sorry to hear. I bet the mail will be delivered eventually but this is going to take some time to pass.
it is what it is

not exactly the highest priority

but the owner was very cooperative
03-23-2020, 12:35 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've just sent a roll off to the lab that I use here in the UK, which is called DSCL. Their website says that they are open for business as usual, but of course under the present circumstances I fully accept that things might not be the same tomorrow. It might be a while before I get my negatives and CD of scans back, but in the greater scheme of things I'm not going to worry about it overmuch.

It's symptomatic of a wider dilemma though: how do we support the businesses that are useful to us but not utterly essential, when sending them work means potentially putting their employees at risk?

03-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These lockdowns won't last forever. In the meantime now is a good time to process your film at home.

Chris
03-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
These lockdowns won't last forever. In the meantime now is a good time to process your film at home.

Chris
you need knowledge, room, equipment and materials to do that

just received an email from Process One that my roll of film and thumb drive was delivered by USPS to them today

now I'm just going to wait patiently

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-23-2020 at 01:13 PM.
03-23-2020, 03:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
The problem is getting out to shoot film to develop at home

03-23-2020, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
how do we support the businesses that are useful to us but not utterly essential, when sending them work means potentially putting their employees at risk?
This is a big question. I have groceries sufficient for the next couple months, but then what? Do I hire someone to shop for me? What is the ethics of asking someone else to take a risk to do for me what I'm not prepared to undertake myself?
03-23-2020, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
This is a big question. I have groceries sufficient for the next couple months, but then what? Do I hire someone to shop for me? What is the ethics of asking someone else to take a risk to do for me what I'm not prepared to undertake myself?
personally when I go shopping

I thank the folks who are working at the store

maintain as much " social distancing " as I can at all times

use the disposable cleaning strips available as you walk in to wipe down the cart and to pick up items

bring my own bag

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
The problem is getting out to shoot film to develop at home
we are encouraged to go out but maintain " social distancing " if we choose to do so
03-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the Paterson Eight Reel Developing tank, the largest developing tank in the world today... it can develop enough film to blow your head clean off...
Paterson Multi-Reel 8 Tank (Super System 4) PTP118 B&H Photo

So you've got to ask yourself one question... do you feel lucky? Well, do ya?

More seriously, I'd start with one of these:
Paterson Universal Tank with Two Reels (Super System 4) PTP115

A changing bag, a few bottles of chemicals, a can opener, a pair of scissors, and a working sink are the only other things you have to have...

Just sayin'

-Eric (with apologies to both Harry Callahans, only one of which I ever met)
03-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wouldn't know but I seem to recall my dad had more equipment than that in his home dark room when he was developing his film and prints

03-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I wouldn't know but I seem to recall my dad had more equipment than that in his home dark room when he was developing his film and prints

But he didn't have a K3 to scan with, I'll bet :-)

That falls into one of those magical time-travel categories... go back in time, meet your dad, and hand him a K3

-Eric
03-24-2020, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Blimey, my dad thought even SLRs were for sissies and stuck with his rangefinder “lightmeter ? Whats wrong with your eyes dimwit, auto stop down ? Well if you used a proper camera you wouldnt need it, powerwinder ? Learn to time the shot dopey.....its called photography and it requires practice”

Dont think he would have been impressed by a digital.
03-24-2020, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

Just to develop film, what TwoUptons listed is all you need. Now, if you are going to print pictures, that is when you need the full darkroom.
03-24-2020, 02:47 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Just to develop film, what TwoUptons listed is all you need. Now, if you are going to print pictures, that is when you need the full darkroom.
as I said:

" . . . I no nothin. " about it

thank you for educating me