Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Z-1 Focus Indicator with adapted M42 lenses

Hi,

The PZ-1 has a little focus indication light/beeper, powered by the AF system, which is super useful for MF lenses. I've used it with my 50/2.8 Macro Pentax-A lens as well as my collection of M and K lenses (so it does _NOT_ require a lens info contact to work). However, it is not working with my adapted M42 lenses. This is consistent with page 7 of the manual ( https://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_pz-1.pdf ).

Does anyone have a workaround to make it work? It's true that the camera does not have aperture information, but surely the chip doing the evaluation can still take a guess, right? the manual says it only works with lenses f5.6 and wider; would jamming down the aperture lever work?

Last edited by riffraffselbow; 04-08-2020 at 09:21 AM.
04-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riffraffselbow Quote
Hi,

The PZ-1 has a little focus indication light/beeper, powered by the AF system, which is super useful for MF lenses. I've used it with my 50/2.8 Macro Pentax-A lens as well as my collection of M and K lenses (so it does _NOT_ require a lens info contact to work). However, it is not working with my adapted M42 lenses. This is consistent with page 7 of the manual ( https://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_pz-1.pdf ).

Does anyone have a workaround to make it work? It's true that the camera does not have aperture information, but surely the chip doing the evaluation can still take a guess, right? the manual says it only works with lenses f5.6 and wider; would jamming down the aperture lever work?
As the manual indicates it won't work with your M42 lenses, as you are using an adapter between the camera and lens.

Phil.
04-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

You need to short the contacts on camera mount to get focus confirmation. Try with an aluminum foil.

---------- Post added 04-08-20 at 02:46 PM ----------

And focus with the lens wide open. Then close to the desired aperture.

Last edited by dantonvb; 04-08-2020 at 06:06 PM.
04-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dantonvb Quote
You need to short the contacts on camera mount to get focus confirmation. Try with an aluminum foil.

---------- Post added 04-08-20 at 02:46 PM ----------

And focus with the lens wide open. The close to the desired aperture.
that did the trick, danton, thanks!

not the most elegant solution, but it works. Kind of confusing to me why they'd seemingly cripple the feature like that, but I guess I've got a solution now at least.

04-08-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riffraffselbow Quote
that did the trick, danton, thanks!

not the most elegant solution, but it works. Kind of confusing to me why they'd seemingly cripple the feature like that, but I guess I've got a solution now at least.
That occurs because of the anodized flange in M42 lens. The pins on camera mount have to make electrical contact with the flange. Other possibility is to gring the lens flange. But this may damage the lens. In my opinion the best way would be to find an adhesive copper foil, the one used in shielding guitars. The put the foil in each lens flange.
Like this:
amazon.com: I-MART Copper Foil Tape, Copper Shielding Tape, Sheet with Conductive Adhesive for Guitar & EMI Shielding, Slug Repellent, Crafts, Electrical Repairs, Grounding (1 inch X 66 Feet): Office Products?tag=pentaxforums-20&
04-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dantonvb Quote
That occurs because of the anodized flange in M42 lens. The pins on camera mount have to make electrical contact with the flange. Other possibility is to gring the lens flange. But this may damage the lens. In my opinion the best way would be to find an adhesive copper foil, the one used in shielding guitars. The put the foil in each lens flange.
Like this:
amazon.com: I-MART Copper Foil Tape, Copper Shielding Tape, Sheet with Conductive Adhesive for Guitar & EMI Shielding, Slug Repellent, Crafts, Electrical Repairs, Grounding (1 inch X 66 Feet): Office Products?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Unfortunately, my m42 lenses are mostly takumars which are too narrow to physically cover the pins, or this would be good advice, but thanks! I'll figure out a workaround if I want to use the z1 with these lenses.