Site Supporter

Here is a picture of the process.

Phil.

Attached Images

05-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #77
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks. The last photo shows what I needed to know. It goes over the top of the sprocket wheel but under the take up spool, in other words, counterclockwise
05-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks. The last photo shows what I needed to know. It goes over the top of the sprocket wheel but under the take up spool, in other words, counterclockwise
If viewed from the top of the camera, it's actually clockwise but the film emulsion in the take up spool is now on the outside of each revolution and not the inside. If viewed from the bottom of the camera, then counterclockwise.

Viewed from the top, the film is advanced counterclockwise out of the cassette and the advance lever moves counterclockwise, but the take up spool turns clockwise when advancing the film. And yes, it's a bit counterintuitive but the film is less likely to accidentally slip off the take up spool this way.
05-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #79

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I know that about the slot/s but what about the sprocket wheel before the take up spool? Does the film go over top of the sprocket or under the sprocket, then in the slot of the take up spool?
Just lay it flat over the top of the sprocket. It's not like threading a film projector. Shoot and wind and make sure the take-up reel grabs the film and it all moves before you close up the camera.

It'll all come back to you, I promise.

05-09-2020, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just don't forget to push the button on the bottom before you rewind the film :-)

-Eric
05-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Just don't forget to push the button on the bottom before you rewind the film :-)

-Eric
I just listened to a podcast about the guy who invented the little triangle indicator next to the fuel fill icon on the car instrument panel that indicates what side your fuel fill door is on.

Do You Need to Warm Up Your Car? Plus, a Teeny, Glorious Car Hack - Gimlet | Podcast on Spotify

I've never understood why for decades, most rewind buttons were never labeled with some sort of symbol. Same with the depth of field preview button on Canon film and digital Rebels (aka Kiss or 850D, 800D, etc) as the only unmarked button on the camera.

But unlike DOF preview, that rewind button is ESSENTIAL (unless you shoot with a Canon Rebel/Kiss/300X that does not require rewinding).
05-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I just listened to a podcast about the guy who invented the little triangle indicator next to the fuel fill icon on the car instrument panel that indicates what side your fuel fill door is on.

Do You Need to Warm Up Your Car? Plus, a Teeny, Glorious Car Hack - Gimlet | Podcast on Spotify

I've never understood why for decades, most rewind buttons were never labeled with some sort of symbol. Same with the depth of field preview button on Canon film and digital Rebels (aka Kiss or 850D, 800D, etc) as the only unmarked button on the camera.

But unlike DOF preview, that rewind button is ESSENTIAL (unless you shoot with a Canon Rebel/Kiss/300X that does not require rewinding).
I've always thought it should be a rule that the fuel gauge should be on the same side of the panel as the filler door is on the car, just to be consistent...
And my wife's Pontiac tried to make it easier by putting it in the middle of the car, accessible by flipping up the license plate... a massive fail with today's short fuel hoses...

I have seen a number of cameras put a "R" on the rewind button, but not nearly enough...
And weirdly, most auto-rewinding cameras have a pictogram next to their tiny recessed manual rewind buttons... labelling it when they aren't used every roll...
I guess the advantage of being made of plastic rather than metal...

-Eric

05-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've come across a problem with the camera. The little window has a straight scratch across it, making it hard to see with my old eyes and even using a 50mm lens as a magnifying glass to see the numbers to set ASA.

So, here's what I need to know now. If I turn the knob after pulling the outer ring up, where is ASA 100? I can count the number of clicks to get to ASA/ISO400, if I knew where ASA100 was located.
05-09-2020, 10:41 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the sequence of ASA settings on the K1000 and all Pentax models:

Phil.
Attached Images

05-10-2020, 12:58 AM   #85
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok I'll try that, thanks Phil.
05-10-2020, 05:22 AM   #86
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, it seems the scratch isn't visible in subdued lighting. I was able to set the ASA last night without as much a problem as trying to use a flashlight before coupled with the 50mm.
05-10-2020, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #87
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
HP5 is loaded. I tried setting the camera on my bed to load the film but that didn't work, putting it in my lap did. I'm ready now to go shooting when they open the parks here. I also removed the 28mm macro lens, that came with the camera, and put one of my Pentax M 50mms on there.
05-13-2020, 12:48 AM   #88
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I realized something today and why I always used a film loader. Because it's going to take me forever to shoot 36 frames at the rate I shoot.

So where can I still buy a loader? You know, I gave a loader to jatrax a few years ago, wish I had it back now.
05-13-2020, 01:35 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So where can I still buy a loader? You know, I gave a loader to jatrax a few years ago, wish I had it back now.
Not sure you're going to find anything less expensive new unless you can find them used.

LegacyPro Lloyd 35mm Bulk Film Loader | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Arista 35mm Metal Reloadable Cartridge - 5 pack | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Arista Changing Bag 27 in. x 30 in. | Freestyle Photographic Supplies.

And then you'll have to buy 100' roll, so you're committed to 20-30 rolls? And then you'll have to DIY processing.
05-13-2020, 02:34 AM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I realized something today and why I always used a film loader. Because it's going to take me forever to shoot 36 frames at the rate I shoot.

That can be a real problem.

I find half-used rolls in cameras all the time. It's really frustrating, too, since a lot of those cameras are old enough to not have meters or ASA markings...

I'll try and place the camera on top of the film box end when I put it away, but I often forget...

Fuji used to sell (I don't know after their price bumps) a pretty reasonable 3-pack of 24 exposure rolls of their color films. That helped

-Eric