Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #61
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
I am off to get my kevlar helmet
Might want to take that Nomex suit out of mothballs, too.

04-26-2020, 04:46 AM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Any one ever shot this film:

Kentmere Pan 100 Black and White Negative Film
04-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Any one ever shot this film:

Kentmere Pan 100 Black and White Negative Film
Yes. I found it very similar to Ilford FP4+ 125. Never did a side by side comparison or test, but my subjective judgement was that Kentmere 100 did not quite have the same acutance or exposure latitude of FP4+.

Technically the Kentmere is slightly thicker* than the FP4+ and although most developing charts indicate the same developing time between the two films, I've found the max density (blacks) on the Kentmere looking slightly thin in XTOL 1+1 and so I always add about 30".

The biggest advantage of Kentmere 100 is the price in either per roll or when bulk loading.

*Thickness is a huge issue with bulk loading and owners of cameras like the Canon Rebels with weak film advance/rewind motors.
04-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used most every b and w film over the years. When doing my own development I have always use Diafine. Currently I tend to use Ilford HP5+ or FP4. These are run through my 645N ii. The larger negative allows me to indulge in my preference for large prints. Choosing any film especially in Black and White is an artistic choice. As is the selection of filters at the time of exposure. Any film is fine for a snapshot. So indulge yourself and try different films till you find the kinds that fulfill your artistic soul.

04-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Yes. I found it very similar to Ilford FP4+ 125. Never did a side by side comparison or test, but my subjective judgement was that Kentmere 100 did not quite have the same acutance or exposure latitude of FP4+.

Technically the Kentmere is slightly thicker* than the FP4+ and although most developing charts indicate the same developing time between the two films, I've found the max density (blacks) on the Kentmere looking slightly thin in XTOL 1+1 and so I always add about 30".

The biggest advantage of Kentmere 100 is the price in either per roll or when bulk loading.

*Thickness is a huge issue with bulk loading and owners of cameras like the Canon Rebels with weak film advance/rewind motors.
Thanks Alex, that was most helpful on the Kentmere. Since I;m nor developing on my own, I doubt I would notice the difference in thickness though.

And until I know the camera works correctly, I'll stick with Ilford film.

QuoteOriginally posted by Denver Quote
I have used most every b and w film over the years. When doing my own development I have always use Diafine. Currently I tend to use Ilford HP5+ or FP4. These are run through my 645N ii. The larger negative allows me to indulge in my preference for large prints. Choosing any film especially in Black and White is an artistic choice. As is the selection of filters at the time of exposure. Any film is fine for a snapshot. So indulge yourself and try different films till you find the kinds that fulfill your artistic soul.
As I said above, until I know the camera works correctly, I'll stick with Ilford for now.

To all who answered me, thanks. I'm still waiting the arrival of the camera. The day it was supposed to get here, Saturday, it never showed up and tracking said it was in transit still.
04-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #66

Slow deliveries seem to be the order of the day. Just got my latest two... a Minolta 400si that was supposed to be for parts, except it appears to be in perfect working order (and I can't disassembled a perfectly good camera!) and a Sears KSX Super. Shot the test rolls yesterday and will develop them tonight.
04-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The day it was supposed to get here, Saturday, it never showed up and tracking said it was in transit still.
QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
Slow deliveries seem to be the order of the day.
There was a story on the local news last week, where Canada Post mentioned they were experiencing Christmas volumes of packages. Canada Post indicated they were doing their best, but were backlogged with all the volume from "stay at home" COVID-19 purchases.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6857832/coronavirus-canada-post-package-delays/

Would be the same for elsewhere in the world.

Phil.

04-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
When I did the tracking on Sunday it said it was in transit to the next facility, in the USPS network. And yes, it was coming from Canada. But seems it's stuck somewhere in the US postal system.
04-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #69
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

But seems it's stuck somewhere in the US postal system.
USPS tracking isn't like FedEx or UPS. With FedEx/UPS the tracking will show where it is if it has arrived at a transfer point, or which two points it's between if on the move.
USPS tells you only two things; it isn't where it started and it hasn't been delivered yet.
04-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
USPS tracking isn't like FedEx or UPS. With FedEx/UPS the tracking will show where it is if it has arrived at a transfer point, or which two points it's between if on the move.
USPS tells you only two things; it isn't where it started and it hasn't been delivered yet.
Under the Tracking drop down, it shows where it's been and where it's at, at that point in time. And usually it tells you an estimated day of arrival. however, it does not show where it's been between two points if on the move.
04-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #71

Under the Tracking drop down, it shows where it's been and where it's at, at that point in time. And usually it tells you an estimated day of arrival. however, it does not show where it's been between two points if on the move.
Sometimes you get lucky. My KS-X appeared to be stuck in Bentonville, Arkansas, through the whole weekend -- but it showed up at my door on Monday mid-afternoon.
04-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
K1000 arrived in the mail this afternoon. I went to B&H just now and bought two rolls of film, one 100ASA and one HP5, just in case it's cloudy this next week.

I'll get a photo taken of the camera tomorrow as I wasn't feeling good today.
05-08-2020, 08:14 AM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Film took almost as long as camera to get here. Got it yesterday. Well, it was 9 days from when I ordered it. Dang COVID-19.

Now I have a silly question, I haven't loaded film to a K1000 since 2005. 15 years ago guys, so how does the film go? Under the sprocket, or over?
05-08-2020, 08:32 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film took almost as long as camera to get here. Got it yesterday. Well, it was 9 days from when I ordered it. Dang COVID-19.

Now I have a silly question, I haven't loaded film to a K1000 since 2005. 15 years ago guys, so how does the film go? Under the sprocket, or over?
There are slots in the film take-up spindle. Just push the film leader into one until it's in nice and tight. Then start the film advance process. Make sure the rewind know also turns each time you advance the film to the next frame.

Phil.
05-08-2020, 08:38 AM   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
There are slots in the film take-up spindle. Just push the film leader into one until it's in nice and tight. Then start the film advance process. Make sure the rewind know also turns each time you advance the film to the next frame.

Phil.
Yes, I know that about the slot/s but what about the sprocket wheel before the take up spool? Does the film go over top of the sprocket or under the sprocket, then in the slot of the take up spool?