Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

Identifying Super Program (?) with lenses

Hello.
Where do I post pictures of my camera to get it identified?
Thank you!

04-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you can click on " Cameras " above and look through the user reviews which will have photos

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

you could also just describe any markings on the camera
04-30-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The quickest way would be to upload the photos to Flickr, Google photos or Dropbox, etc. then post the link here.
04-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you can click on " Cameras " above and look through the user reviews which will have photos

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

you could also just describe any markings on the camera
It says Super Program, but doesn't look like any of the pics I saw. It has a weird grip (?) thing attached to the battery holder. But I can't find any other markings on it. Would they be inside? Underneath?
Thanks

04-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Just post the picture here and we will gladly take a look. The easiest way would be to attach it directly to your post using the manage attachments button below

The film SLR forum would be the ideal place for this thread, so I can move it later on.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-30-2020, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
The quickest way would be to upload the photos to Flickr, Google photos or Dropbox, etc. then post the link here.
here's hoping this works!

Pentax - Google Photos

btw: Otis is adorable!
04-30-2020, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erda2020 Quote

Pentax - Google Photos

The camera is a Super Program - you can read about it here: Pentax Super A / Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
The lens on it looks like an A series 50/1.7: SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

To identify all the lenses, it would be to take some more photos of them, especially from the front.
04-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
nice SLR

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax Super Program (called Pentax Super A in some markets) is a versatile A-series film SLR featuring support for P, Tv, Av, and M exposure modes. You control the shutter speed using the push buttons on the camera, and the aperture via the aperture ring. Both can be set to auto (given you have an A-series lens or newer), which then brings the camera into Program mode. With M and K lenses Av and M exposure modes are available.

The Super Program was first Pentax with Program and Tv auto exposure and it also had TTL flash control, but even with the added electronics and mechanics the camera body is just about as compact as the original Pentax ME.

Disregarding the Pentax LX which is in a class by itself, the Pentax Super Program is the top model among all Pentax manual focus cameras when it comes to features and specifications. . . .

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-super-super-program.html#ixzz6L8u2dU7Q

and you have the winder for it as well

QuoteQuote:
Description:
Winder for Pentax ME Super and ME. Also fits the ME-F, MG, MV-1, Super A, SuperProgram, Program A, Program Plus, P5 and P50.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-winder-me-ii.html#ixzz6L8woEqKv

you can find photos and reviews of lenses under " Lenses " above

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-30-2020 at 04:54 PM.
04-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
I added more photos at the google link

---------- Post added 04-30-20 at 05:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The camera is a Super Program - you can read about it here: Pentax Super A / Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
The lens on it looks like an A series 50/1.7: SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

To identify all the lenses, it would be to take some more photos of them, especially from the front.
I think I got pictures of all of the writing on the lenses in the google link, if you wanted to look?
Thank you.

---------- Post added 04-30-20 at 05:23 PM ----------

Thank you all!
04-30-2020, 10:42 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax - Google Photos

Yep...Super Program with ME Winder II. I have the same setup, though the one in your photo appears to be missing the front finger grip (must be removed to use the winder), unless it is floating around inside the case somewhere.

Stee
04-30-2020, 10:55 PM   #11

Remove the lens caps and filters and take a photo of the front of the lens.

The lenses may not all be for K-mount although the way they are fitted in the case suggest they were used with the camera body.. The Sigma zoom/telephoto appears to say "For Pentax" on the base. The other lenses, except the Pentax, probably have a marking like "PK" or "P/KA" on the base somewhere. If not, remove the rear cap and post photos of the rear of the lens and we should be able to figure out what mount they are for.
05-01-2020, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you all!
The Super A and Super Program are the same camera. You can download the original manual here. http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_super_a_s.pdf

Password is Pentax
05-01-2020, 01:20 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
. . . The other lenses, except the Pentax, probably have a marking like "PK" or "P/KA" on the base somewhere. If not, remove the rear cap and post photos of the rear of the lens and we should be able to figure out what mount they are for.

QuoteQuote:
The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount
Technical Information and a Little Bit of History
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Dec 29, 2014

. . . Third Party Variants of the K-mount
Pentax made the original "K" mount available for other camera manufacturers to adopt. The goal was to create a universal standard bayonet mount much like the M42 screw mount had been. Ricoh, Chinon, and others produced cameras and lenses with the "K" mount. Unfortunately, with the introduction of the "KA" mount, Pentax reversed the decision with the result that the other manufacturers either abandoned the "K" mount or developed their own, somewhat incompatible, enhancements. Several third party lens manufacturers produce or has produced lenses with a K-mount. There are no issues with current third party lenses in K-mount, but for older lenses there are two traps to watch out for:[/size]

The infamous "Ricoh pin". Where Pentax created the "KA" mount in order to support Program and Tv exposure automation, Ricoh had to create their own variant, which has a protruding pin placed in a somewhat unfortunate location, namely in the exact spot where Pentax years later placed the autofocus drive shaft. Such a Ricoh lens will get stuck when mounted on a Pentax autofocus body - the Ricoh pin will get lodged in the drive shaft and prevent the lens from being removed without deployment of finesse, patience and tools.

The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem. . . .
Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-01-2020 at 01:28 AM.
05-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

NICE Super program with the Winder ME and a few lenses!!
that was a good setup
Now if you take the cap off the lense and tahe a pic of the front it maybe easier to identify them

great camera though
05-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #15

@Erda2020

If you are still looking for the stock finger grip here is one on eBay:
200789 PENTAX SUPER PROGRAM FINGER GRIP USED | eBay

Here's one for the Program Plus. I'm not sure if they are compatible, one of the experts here on PF can tall you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200789-PENTAX-SUPER-PROGRAM-FINGER-GRIP-USED/202945...wAAOSwWp9eernW

Another one for Super Program - answers the above - fits Program Plus
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201104-PENTAX-SUPER-PROGRAM-ACTION-FINGER-GRIP-USED...gAAOSwpnpejhW4