Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #1

Need help making a decision on a camera purchase

Need help deciding what camera to get to compliment my K1000 and MX. Sorry if this post will be long. I need to make it clear what Im asking for. I love them both but neither is quite complete. Let me start with an "ideal" camera. K1000 viewfinder and big and bright withh the large matchstick meter (Because of my glasses I cant see the meter properly in the MX). MX focus screen (split ring) Depth of field preview. Shutter lock. Full manual available. So that would be ideal. I cant seem to gather quite enough information an the cameras to see what models have what. I know that the K1000 SE is a K1000 with split ring focus. because of an eye problem I need the split ring. The KX looks promising but I dont think it can take a split ring focus screen. please correct me if that is wrong. Same with the K2. The LX has an led meter that I know I wont be able to see. Most important really is the split ring focus screen and a easy to see match stick style meter. Thank you!

05-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by aaron62688 Quote
Need help deciding what camera to get to compliment my K1000 and MX. Sorry if this post will be long. I need to make it clear what Im asking for. I love them both but neither is quite complete. Let me start with an "ideal" camera. K1000 viewfinder and big and bright withh the large matchstick meter (Because of my glasses I cant see the meter properly in the MX). MX focus screen (split ring) Depth of field preview. Shutter lock. Full manual available. So that would be ideal. I cant seem to gather quite enough information an the cameras to see what models have what. I know that the K1000 SE is a K1000 with split ring focus. because of an eye problem I need the split ring. The KX looks promising but I dont think it can take a split ring focus screen. please correct me if that is wrong. Same with the K2. The LX has an led meter that I know I wont be able to see. Most important really is the split ring focus screen and a easy to see match stick style meter. Thank you!
Well, if you have an eye problem why not look for a camera with autofocus. There are plenty of models by Pentax with AF, SF-series, MZ-series and Z-series to mention some. If you want fully manual you can also go for a more modern Super A, but that is an electronically driven camera, so it needs batteries. It is actually one of the best camera's Pentax produced and has a split screen. It is small but has a lot of options. I myself am a bit aging and I love the split screen, but I find it hard to focus on a matte screen. But then again K1000, K2 and KX might be good camera's but are not of this age. The same goes for all the other film camera's I mentioned.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 05-05-2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: mistake corrected
05-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KX looks promising but I dont think it can take a split ring focus screen. please correct me if that is wrong. Same with the K2. The LX has an led meter that I know I wont be able to see. Most important really is the split ring focus screen and a easy to see match stick style meter. Thank you!
The KX & K2 had split screen options, but these are harder to find. So your best bet is the K2DMD, which has a split screen by default, matching needles (or you can use aperture priority), as well as a shutter lock.

Phil.
05-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just in case you haven't see this:

Pentax Film SLR Databases and Resources - PentaxForums.com

autofocus perhaps the Z 1

Pentax Z-1 / PZ-1 - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

otherwise how about the Super Program ?

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax Super Program (called Pentax Super A in some markets) is a versatile A-series film SLR featuring support for P, Tv, Av, and M exposure modes. You control the shutter speed using the push buttons on the camera, and the aperture via the aperture ring. Both can be set to auto (given you have an A-series lens or newer), which then brings the camera into Program mode. With M and K lenses Av and M exposure modes are available.

The Super Program was first Pentax with Program and Tv auto exposure and it also had TTL flash control, but even with the added electronics and mechanics the camera body is just about as compact as the original Pentax ME.

Disregarding the Pentax LX which is in a class by itself, the Pentax Super Program is the top model among all Pentax manual focus cameras when it comes to features and specifications.

Read more at: Pentax Super A / Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

05-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Well, if you have an eye problem why not look for a camera with autofocus. There are plenty of models by Pentax with AF, SF-series, MZ-series and Z-series to mention some. If you want fully manual you can also go for a more modern Super A, but that is an electronically driven camera, so it needs batteries. It is actually one of the best camera's Pentax produced and has a split screen. It is small but has a lot of options. I myself am a bit aging and I love the split screen, but I find it hard to focus on a matte screen. But then again K1000, K2 and KX might be good camera's but are not of this age. The same goes for all the other film camera's I mentioned.
Thanks. The reason for using the Pentax cameras is because they are all manual. Including manual focus. With a split ring i can focus perfectly fine. Its just with the ground glass spot and a lens like the 135 2.5 that its nearly impossible. If the MX had a meter I could see with glasses id be all set. Love that little thing.

---------- Post added 05-05-20 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The KX & K2 had split screen options, but these are harder to find. So your best bet is the K2DMD, which has a split screen by default, matching needles (or you can use aperture priority), as well as a shutter lock.

Phil.
Thank you. Im not liking the reports on the ass dial reliability on the K2 cameras. I'll hold out for a KX with a split ring.

---------- Post added 05-05-20 at 10:02 AM ----------

Thanks. I have been through the databases. They are a little incomplete.
05-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't give up on the LX, try to look through one, the viewfinder is easy to use with glasses and the action finder works well with glasses too
05-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Need help deciding what camera to get to compliment my K1000 and MX.
Let me start with an "ideal" camera. K1000 viewfinder and big and bright withh the large matchstick meter (Because of my glasses I cant see the meter properly in the MX). MX focus screen (split ring) Depth of field preview. Shutter lock. Full manual available.
The LX has an led meter that I know I wont be able to see.
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Don't give up on the LX, try to look through one, the viewfinder is easy to use with glasses and the action finder works well with glasses too
If you love manual focus and matchstick meter in the finder, then I'd recommend the KM. It is essentially a K1000 with a depth of field preview and self timer.

If you can get your hands on an LX, it is worth considering as it is available with a high eye point finder which is ideal for eyeglass wearers. With your eyeglasses on, the LED metering may be acceptable and the LX was the flagship manual focus SLR in it's time.

I own a couple Nikon F3HP because of the high eye point finder. Like the LX, it was Nikon's final manual focus flagship, but like the LX, because it has auto exposure modes, it's not as easy to manually meter with a miserable tiny LCD in the top left corner that's not as visible as the LX meter.

Since the F3HP, I've only found one better viewfinder....the Pentax 645! But in your situation, I think the KM is the best solution unless you want auto exposure modes.

05-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
If you love manual focus and matchstick meter in the finder, then I'd recommend the KM. It is essentially a K1000 with a depth of field preview and self timer.

If you can get your hands on an LX, it is worth considering as it is available with a high eye point finder which is ideal for eyeglass wearers. With your eyeglasses on, the LED metering may be acceptable and the LX was the flagship manual focus SLR in it's time.

I own a couple Nikon F3HP because of the high eye point finder. Like the LX, it was Nikon's final manual focus flagship, but like the LX, because it has auto exposure modes, it's not as easy to manually meter with a miserable tiny LCD in the top left corner that's not as visible as the LX meter.

Since the F3HP, I've only found one better viewfinder....the Pentax 645! But in your situation, I think the KM is the best solution unless you want auto exposure modes.
I would get a KM but they (so far as I can tell) never came with a split ring focus screen

---------- Post added 05-05-20 at 03:19 PM ----------

I would get a KM but they (so far as I can tell) never came with a split ring focus screen
Which viewfinder is that? Im not a fan of its meter UI, at least from what i have seen posted as diagrams and videos. But if there was a long throw viewfinder that would give me a full view of the viewfinder it might work. And probably easier than trying to find a split screen KX since the KM i dont think ever had one available. but of course I am not certain. No need for auto anything.
05-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would get a KM but they (so far as I can tell) never came with a split ring focus screen[COLOR="Silver"]
According to the owner's manual, some came with a split-image focusing screen:
Pentax KM instruction manual, user manual
05-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I understand your predicament, the MX finder may not work with glasses. I recently needed progressive glasses and a split screen really helps.

The LX has various finders available, the FA1-W may suit, as mentioned, the action finder combination gives very long eyepoint but trades magnification for it.
05-05-2020, 11:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Are you firmly wedded to a Pentax or would an alternative be a fit for you ? I am thinking Olympus OM1, big bright VF, simple meter needle, split ring and micro prism focusing screen thats changeable, fully manual, small and light.

Like you my eyeballs arent great anymore, recently I have cut over to using a Minolta XD7 more as I can read the aperture and speed in the VF whereas I struggle to read the markings on the lens or speed dial. The KX is good as well for seeing whats going on buy it doesnt have a split ring as standard and the split ring versions are hard to find.
05-06-2020, 05:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want a K-mount camera with the matchstick meter and DOF-preview all your options have been covered, I think.

If you can adopt to the auto- and manual-mode cameras with manual metering by the time scale, there is the P30N or T (with automatic ISO only), the P50/P5 and the LX of course. If it does not have to be a Pentax there are cameras from Ricoh (XR-X, XR-7) and Chinon (CE-4).

As far as I know, you will not find any other fully manual (no auto modes) K-mount cameras with DOF-preview beside those from Pentax.
05-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Are you firmly wedded to a Pentax or would an alternative be a fit for you ? I am thinking Olympus OM1, big bright VF, simple meter needle, split ring and micro prism focusing screen thats changeable, fully manual, small and light.

Like you my eyeballs arent great anymore, recently I have cut over to using a Minolta XD7 more as I can read the aperture and speed in the VF whereas I struggle to read the markings on the lens or speed dial. The KX is good as well for seeing whats going on buy it doesnt have a split ring as standard and the split ring versions are hard to find.
Im not looking to get into a whole other system. I already have 6 Pentax lenses and all the adapters. But I will look into an Olympus. Thanks
05-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh XR1?
05-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Im not looking to get into a whole other system. I already have 6 Pentax lenses and all the adapters. But I will look into an Olympus. Thanks
Haha....I have cameras from all of the big 5 and it is a headache having to cope with the lenses and accessories, three different flashes, none of them use the same filter ring sizes so a whole raft of lens hoods, caps and so forth .....some of them have their own lenses and some share Tamron Adaptalls.

Biggest headache though is getting out in the field and struggling cos I have no familiarity with the camera, on the other hand every day out is an adventure