Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2020, 10:38 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1000 se

Are they all marked SE beside the K1000? Reason for my question, the K1000 I bought from bertwert (aka Robert) has split screen focus. I believe someone changed the screen and this is a first edition K1000 and not a SE version. My question also relates to a K1000 being offered in the marketplace and identified as an SE version but there is no SE stamped on the front of that camera either.

05-17-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Are they all marked SE beside the K1000? Reason for my question, the K1000 I bought from bertwert (aka Robert) has split screen focus. I believe someone changed the screen and this is a first edition K1000 and not a SE version. My question also relates to a K1000 being offered in the marketplace and identified as an SE version but there is no SE stamped on the front of that camera either.
Some came with split screen or may have been swapped post.
05-18-2020, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it is split image but not with micro prism ring it was either ordered with the split image screen or the screen was changed later. All K series cameras could be special ordered with other screens. The split image with micro prism was available later in production. It was cheaper to special order a camera with the different screen than have it changed later. The SE cameras were a way for smaller stores to compete with the big stores as they were initially only sold to smaller specialty stores. Wholesale cost was $10 more but the store could sell it for $30-40 more since the SE had a nicer screen and had a two year warranty instead of the standard warranty.
05-18-2020, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

>>Are they all marked SE beside the K1000?

The 1st K1000-SE's were not engraved with "SE" on the top cover, but instead had a "SE" sticker.
The Stickers have been hard pressed to survive these past 44 years, and many have fallen off by now.
So possibly, your K1000 was a very early SE and has lost it's "SE" sticker (?)

Here is a link to a post with pictures of 5 different flavors of K1000-SE's

Pentax K1000 vs. K1000 SE - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Moe49; 05-18-2020 at 10:15 AM.
05-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can make you a new "SE" sticker with my P-touch.

Chris
05-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Some came with split screen or may have been swapped post.
Thanks for you input.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
If it is split image but not with micro prism ring it was either ordered with the split image screen or the screen was changed later. All K series cameras could be special ordered with other screens. The split image with micro prism was available later in production. It was cheaper to special order a camera with the different screen than have it changed later. The SE cameras were a way for smaller stores to compete with the big stores as they were initially only sold to smaller specialty stores. Wholesale cost was $10 more but the store could sell it for $30-40 more since the SE had a nicer screen and had a two year warranty instead of the standard warranty.
My first K1000 had the micro prism ring and was hard to focus on 42 year old eyes, until I got glasses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
>>Are they all marked SE beside the K1000?

The 1st K1000-SE's were not engraved with "SE" on the top cover, but instead had a "SE" sticker.
The Stickers have been hard pressed to survive these past 44 years, and many have fallen off by now.
So possibly, your K1000 was a very early SE and has lost it's "SE" sticker (?)

Here is a link to a post with pictures of 5 different flavors of K1000-SE's

Most helpful information, thanks Moe.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I can make you a new "SE" sticker with my P-touch.

Chris
Thanks Chris. I have a P-touch too. Do you know what color the sticker was?

My first K1000 bought in 1995 when in college for a photography course needed for my degree was the original K1000, Asahi, stamped made in Japan and had the micro prism ring. I know, I repeated that last bit.
05-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I found this post, from a person stating that the SE never came with a sticker nor a diamond letherette.
Does anyone have an offical sales add for the K1000 SE with the diamond letherette?

Beware counterfeiit K1000 SE cameras! | The KermiBlog

05-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
I found this post, from a person stating that the SE never came with a sticker nor a diamond letherette.
Does anyone have an offical sales add for the K1000 SE with the diamond letherette?

I have 2 SE’s, both brown leatherette. One has a horizontal split screen without collar and no engraved SE. There is no sticker residue on the top plate. IMO based on serial number this one is a transition body before production was moved to HK

the other has a horizontal split screen with collar and engraved SE on the front. It also has the remnants of the HONG KONG sticker one the bottom.
05-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote

I've seen promotional material with SE stickers. Mine is not engraved and there is no sticker. No indication of where it was manufactured, but the top bump and serial # put it in Japan. Split prism with microprism collar and diamond leatherette.
05-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I've seen promotional material with SE stickers. Mine is not engraved and there is no sticker. No indication of where it was manufactured, but the top bump and serial # put it in Japan. Split prism with microprism collar and diamond leatherette.
I wish we could know whether the promotional material was printed for the US Distributor. I’d bet a dollar the US Distributor ordered an inventory of stickered K1000SE’s from Japan and sold them to independent US camera stores.

[EDIT] Shown downthread - Stickered cameras were sold worldwide.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-21-2020 at 07:35 AM.
05-20-2020, 09:01 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I bought my first brown leatherette K1000 SE, new in 1980. It had the sticker and the split prism with micro prism collar.

I own 6 of them now - not my original one. All are brown leatherette and all split prism with the mp collar.
Two of those six do not have the SE engraved.
One of those un-engraved two has a sticker with serial number on the bottom plate.
The other does not have the sticker anymore, and the serial number is on top.

It was my understanding that if the serial number is on top, it was made in Japan, whereas the bottom indicates Hong Kong. The later K1000s were in China. And none of the China ones were the brown leatherette that I’m aware of.
05-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember seeing plenty of Pentax K1000 SEs with the sticker, MEs too.
Like the gold JCII "Passed" stickers most have probably fallen off by now.

Chris
05-20-2020, 11:20 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've only seen one K1000 SE before I bought this one. It belonged to a friend who lived in Canada and his was the brown leatherette version, had split screen focusing and I tried it, didn't like it then either. Being brown leatherette, made me assume that this was the difference in the K1000s, if it was brown it wasn't an original K1000 like my first one. I accumulated four of the original cameras, but sold them off to various parties during a years span. My original was stamped "Made in Japan" on the bottom plate.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-21-2020 at 12:57 AM.
05-21-2020, 04:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
From my understanding, none of the SE were made in Japan, but all were assembled in HK. This post coveres the various versions, and I know he has been collecting and studying the K1000 in detail.

---------- Post added 05-21-2020 at 02:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MKohoutek Quote
I bought my first brown leatherette K1000 SE, new in 1980. It had the sticker and the split prism with micro prism collar.

I own 6 of them now - not my original one. All are brown leatherette and all split prism with the mp collar.
Two of those six do not have the SE engraved.
One of those un-engraved two has a sticker with serial number on the bottom plate.
The other does not have the sticker anymore, and the serial number is on top.

It was my understanding that if the serial number is on top, it was made in Japan, whereas the bottom indicates Hong Kong. The later K1000s were in China. And none of the China ones were the brown leatherette that I’m aware of.
I recommend this post:
05-21-2020, 05:11 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was looking at mine this morning and noticed a writing on the bottom plate. I couldn't read it with my failing eye sight so I grabbed my magnifying lens and there was a sticker on the bottom that the letters said, Japan. It might have once said made in Japan but part of the sticker was missing.