Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2020, 05:46 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I was looking at mine this morning and noticed a writing on the bottom plate. I couldn't read it with my failing eye sight so I grabbed my magnifying lens and there was a sticker on the bottom that the letters said, Japan. It might have once said made in Japan but part of the sticker was missing.
Is that a K1000 SE?

05-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I've seen promotional material with SE stickers. Mine is not engraved and there is no sticker. No indication of where it was manufactured, but the top bump and serial # put it in Japan. Split prism with microprism collar and diamond leatherette.
Here is a link to my post in an older K1000 thread that shows the Pentax K1000-SE "Sticker" camera brochure I own. The brochure matches one of my brown SE's.

Pentax K1000 vs. K1000 SE - PentaxForums.com

This brochure shows an SE in Brown Leatherette, with a KX bump, S/N on top cover, and "SE" Sticker.
05-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
The one and only SE I saw was not like the one you have in that thread. The brown was just like the black and not smooth at all.

My K1000 has the S/N on the bottom plate. I'm still not convinced this is a SE K1000. Someone down the path could have changed the micro prism for a split screen.
05-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The one and only SE I saw was not like the one you have in that thread. The brown was just like the black and not smooth at all.

My K1000 has the S/N on the bottom plate. I'm still not convinced this is a SE K1000. Someone down the path could have changed the micro prism for a split screen.
Can you share some photos of it?

05-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tomorrow I'll take some photos and upload them then. It's late here and I'm on my tablet.
05-21-2020, 11:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Tomorrow I'll take some photos and upload them then. It's late here and I'm on my tablet.
Does yours have a dimple or a crossform screw head on top plate?
05-23-2020, 04:31 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Does yours have a dimple or a crossform screw head on top plate?
No, neither are there.

I haven't had a chance to photograph it yet, felt poorly the last few days. I will get photos today if I can.

05-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here are three photos of the one I bought. Click on them for a bigger view.

05-23-2020, 11:36 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I meant to add that on the back of the top plate, the words "Asahi Opt., Co" is stamped in and is hard to read in the photos, but it's there.
05-24-2020, 12:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Your top plate looking down on it does have a x form screw to left of penta prism rather than a small circular plate.
And a base plate serial number is not conclusive cause I have rebuilt two cameras to get one to work. And although you can press dinks out of the plates normally sometimes they don’t!
I’d be happy it looks like a nice K1000 maybe SE.
If you got nail lacure I’d lift the rewind R lever to rewind position and add a dab across the end of coaxial screw threads of rewind shaft cause people do lose rewind knobs.
05-24-2020, 03:33 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Your top plate looking down on it does have a x form screw to left of penta prism rather than a small circular plate.
And a base plate serial number is not conclusive cause I have rebuilt two cameras to get one to work. And although you can press dinks out of the plates normally sometimes they don’t!
I’d be happy it looks like a nice K1000 maybe SE.
If you got nail lacure I’d lift the rewind R lever to rewind position and add a dab across the end of coaxial screw threads of rewind shaft cause people do lose rewind knobs.
Thanks for the tip but I don't use nail polish, never have, never will. I'm not your typical female.

I bought it because I thought it was like my first K1000 which had the micro prism and not the split screen as the SEs are known to have. So I was thinking someone changed the screens on this one..People were known to do that if they didn't like the micro prism screen.

However, which ever it is, I'll keep it. It looks like my original and it's in great shape, and so far as seals go, it seems to be okay. Soon as I get this roll of 400ASA used up, I'll know if the meter is working correctly. If it isn't working correctly, I have credit with Eric to get it fixed. I could probably get him to install the micro prism and make it a true K1000.
06-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Your 63xxxxxx serial is in the K1000 2nd batch 79-82, but you need to wait for someone else to confirm!
06-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Your 63xxxxxx serial is in the K1000 2nd batch 79-82, but you need to wait for someone else to confirm!
So, what does that actually mean?
06-04-2020, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #29

It is a standard K1000 with a split prism screen & not a SE.

Obvious clues from images
Black leatherette without engraved SE. All SE's with STANDARD black leatherette were engraved with SE on the top plate.
Made in Japan - No SE's were made in Japan as all SE's were HK origin. I have had a few ppl claim to have had Japan origin SE's but have never been able to verify one as original as all bodies showed signs on being tampered with.
No obvious evidence of any 'parts swap' .Serial number is consistent with body & suggest production date of approx. April -> December 1980.

However, with all that being said, what you have is for all practical purposes a 'SE' as the split prism focus screen & SE engraving was the only difference at that time.

As a side note:- Although very approximate due to limited sampling data I have the original M50/2 lens sold with this body would have MOST LIKELY had a 43XXXX prefix.