Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #1

The things you find on eBay

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, we've all seen brassed cameras before, but... this one really takes the cake. The poor Pentax... It looks like it was a nice chrome H2 once, but now....

11-01-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That IS a nice piece and from the looks of things it WILL be sniped.
11-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is a statement about durability and use. Clearly someone just loved to take photos with this one.
11-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Heck, I think that is one good looking camera!

11-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My suspicion is that some guy intentionally removed the chrome.
11-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Removing the chrome

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My suspicion is that some guy intentionally removed the chrome.
I'm no expert, but to my knowledge, removing chrome plating is not an easy task, especially if you don't want it to show. Note that the black in the engraved lettering is intact. If the chrome had been removed chemically, the black would be gone. If it had been removed abrasively, the brass would show scratches, unless whoever did it was really, really good.

I suspect it is a presentation model. The factory sometimes made these for special occasions. Sometimes a company would commission a special run of cameras. It might have been made for someone's retirement or as a special employee recognition.

BTW, the seller says it is a Honeywell Pentax, while the pictures clearly show that it is an Asahi model. The H name does not appear anywhere on the camera.

Paul Noble
11-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A budget version for someone who cannot afford

???

11-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

???
Holy crocodile! Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it a cigarette lighter? Does it take photos?
11-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I'm no expert, but to my knowledge, removing chrome plating is not an easy task, especially if you don't want it to show. Note that the black in the engraved lettering is intact. If the chrome had been removed chemically, the black would be gone. If it had been removed abrasively, the brass would show scratches, unless whoever did it was really, really good.

I suspect it is a presentation model. The factory sometimes made these for special occasions. Sometimes a company would commission a special run of cameras. It might have been made for someone's retirement or as a special employee recognition.

BTW, the seller says it is a Honeywell Pentax, while the pictures clearly show that it is an Asahi model. The H name does not appear anywhere on the camera.

Paul Noble
The front clearly says Asahi Pentax, but the top is equally clearly marked H2. Hmmm...
11-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

???
Drool! I sure want(ed) one of these, but could not even afford the standard model. Do you own this or are you just a collector of neat camera pics?
11-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have an H2 body that is identical to that one and it does not have Honeywell anywhere on it. The chrome is not chrome but more a kind of matte plateing that has become oxidised and pitted. On the corner of the prism box the plateing is brassed and the rings around the FP and X sockets are plain brass. I imagine that hitting the plateing with a buffing wheel and rouge I could quickly get the same effect but I would have to partially dissassemble the camera to get that effect on all the sheet metal.
This camera is at the other end of the price scale to the red gold plated bling monstrosity.

The one in the auction looks like a naval edition and given the corrosion on my copy I can understand why that could be what it was designed for.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 11-07-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Pic added
11-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Drool! I sure want(ed) one of these, but could not even afford the standard model. Do you own this or are you just a collector of neat camera pics?
No, I just have an ordinary LX. Which developed the sticky mirror syndrome for the first time two weeks ago, so it's soon going on service. I just linked this gold version of LX because I thought the brass H2 that started this thread looked like someone wanted to copy the gold LX...deep in my memory I seam to recall that there is supposed to have been a gold spotmatic also long ago, but I have never seen a picture...maybe that's the one who inspired someone to skinn this H2?

Btw, isn't it a bit cheap to keep the ordinary plastic flash contact plugs on a LX in gold and crocodile?
11-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

During the Spotmatic era Honeywell was the USA importer of Pentax products, and its name replaced Asahi on the cameras.

Here's a picture of the gold Spotmatic from the essential B. Dimitrov site:

FWIW the gold-plated cameras were not sold but presented by Asahi as awards to distributors
for selling large numbers of Pentax products.
Though fully functional they were not intended as serious photographic tools.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-07-2008 at 05:37 PM.
11-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'd guess the Ebay camera was built that way and sorta looks cool. But those gold plated camera (like the LX version as well) are just toooo much.
11-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I Liked this version of the K10D though.
Attached Images