Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2020, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have a lot of bike thefts here in Vancouver and were always encouraged to engrave your SIN on your bike, back in the day. Now the VPD have a more sophisticated system, with a registered decal.

Though it's still a long shot to ever get your bike back, especially when its in a cargo container heading to Asia by sea...

Phil.

05-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two observations.

1) looks like someone left it on the roof of their car and drove off. The damage shown on the lens looks suspiciously like road rash.

2) send it to Eric so other cameras may live on.
05-27-2020, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #18
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
When I first started college back in the early '80s, campus police made electric engravers available for us to etch our driver's license number on our valuables. And back then, one's social security number was an unofficial universal identifier. The college I attended removed the hyphens and used it as your student Id number and many states used it as one's driver's license number.
In my teens and early 20's I was encouraged to engrave my driver's license number on valuable items, camera and gear, stereo, watch, whatever. "Your driver's license number is yours, yours only, and you'll have it forever", they said.

Yep. I scratched that number on everything.

Most of the tools in this toolbox are engraved with it. The various components of the box itself are also engraved.

When I renewed my driver's license last year they told me the license numbering system will change before I renew again. Old numbers will not be grandfathered, everyone gets a new number.

I am not going to grind off the numbers I have etched on everything I own and etch a new number in it all.
05-28-2020, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps it fell down a long flight of (concrete) stairs.
I'm glad you found its organ donor card and sent it to Eric.

On eBay I once saw a Nikon FM that had been dredged up from the bottom of a lake.

Chris