Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2020, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Update your Pentax SLR to a DSLR?

Anyone seen this?

I'm BackŪ 35 - An 50's camera that takes digital photos? by Samuel Mello Medeiros ? Kickstarter

Could be interesting!

05-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Panasonic 34112 CMOS still camera 1:2.33 Image Sensor - same Size as the original Q (not even the 1:1.7 For Q-S1) - the ORIGINAL Q).
05-27-2020, 08:58 PM - 5 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Anyone seen this?
20 years ago, this would have been very enticing, but the market for similar digital sensors in film cameras has never taken off because:

a) Film lovers love film.
b) Digitalphiles are not nostalgic to the extent of going retro. Look at the Nikon Df as one example.
c) Frankenstein was a monster.
05-27-2020, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Buy a smartphone instead.
The back gimmick has a tiny sensor, very difficult to align in the sensor plane. Difficult to focus, resolution and image angle will disappoint you.

05-27-2020, 11:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It is kind of an interesting concept, but other than that it is not much for me. It is more like a cool gadget, but probably not someone would use very much.

The concept is that instead of film there is a focusing screen that the image is projected on, then on the back there is a camera in the bottom of the tube with a 45 degree mirror on the top that capture the image of the focusing screen.
But the usability looks to be a nightmare, no where near like using an old film camera with film.

Last edited by Fogel70; 05-28-2020 at 11:09 PM.
05-28-2020, 12:02 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
20 years ago, this would have been very enticing, but the market for similar digital sensors in film cameras has never taken off because:

c) Frankenstein was a monster.
Frankenstein might have been a monster too, but Frankenstein was who made Frankenstein's monster.

Ever watch Monk?
05-28-2020, 01:12 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Frankenstein might have been a monster too, but Frankenstein was who made Frankenstein's monster.

Ever watch Monk?
Correct, Dr. Frankenstein's creation was simply called "creature". And yes, I have seen some episodes of Monk.
BTW: Is that pronounced frankensteen or frankenstine? Have you ever said "Frau Brucher" and the horses whinnyed? That actually happened to me.

(In Mel Brook's film Young Frankenstein, whenever anyone uttered the name Frau Brucher, horses would whinny.) Messing with a film digital hybrid will probably tilt the earth's axis and at that point, instead of the smart phone camera with a fake shutter sound, why not give us real options like "that was easy!!!"

Last edited by Alex645; 05-28-2020 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Quarantine cabin fever
05-28-2020, 01:22 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Correct, Dr. Frankenstein's creation was simply called "creature". And yes, I have seen some episodes of Monk.
BTW: Is that pronounced frankensteen or frankenstine? Have you ever said "Frau Brucher" and the horses whinnyed? That actually happened to me.
On Monk, his brother Ambrose pronounced it Frankenstine. It was an episode where Monk went home again. It Halloween time, and a man dressed as Frankenstein's monster came to the door, and the cops were saying Frankenstein, and Ambrose said no, he was Frankenstein's monster, not Frankenstein himself.

And no, I've never said, "Frau Brucher." I don't live around horses so wouldn't know if they whinnied or not. But I'm curious enough to want to know what that is supposed to mean?
05-28-2020, 01:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Could be interesting!
Could be! But isn't unfortunately...

Also, discussed in detail here: I'm Back - digital back for ME and ME Super - PentaxForums.com
05-28-2020, 01:27 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. So, back to what you all were discussing before.
05-28-2020, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

b) Digitalphiles are not nostalgic to the extent of going retro. Look at the Nikon Df as one example.
I think the biggest issue with the Df was the asking price compared to other Nikons and what you could get, specs-wise, for that kind of money in their other full-frame cameras. Taking away video also didn't do the Df any sales favors. I didn't pay any attention to these when they were new but they still seem interesting to me in 2020 (but not interesting enough to actually buy one). There's nothing wrong with having the smallest and lightest full-frame digital Nikon SLR. It's a concept that I wish Ricoh would consider but I do not hold any reasonable hope of seeing on the market.

Fuji seems to be selling a lot of cameras with a similar take on controls and general look taking users back to classic controls.
05-28-2020, 02:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
But I'm curious enough to want to know what that is supposed to mean?
Mel Brooks' 'Young Frankenstein' from 1974. In it, Victor Frankenstein (Gene Wilder) insisted that his name was pronounced 'Fronken-steen', and every time his housekeeper Frau Blucher was mentioned, the horses would whinny. Hilarious film, very much of its time.
05-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Mel Brooks' 'Young Frankenstein' from 1974. In it, Victor Frankenstein (Gene Wilder) insisted that his name was pronounced 'Fronken-steen', and every time his housekeeper Frau Blucher was mentioned, the horses would whinny. Hilarious film, very much of its time.
I guess me not liking Mel Brooks is why I didn't get the meaning of what Alex said. I've never seen that movie, and probably never will.
05-28-2020, 06:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Panasonic 34112 CMOS still camera 1:2.33 Image Sensor - same Size as the original Q (not even the 1:1.7 For Q-S1) - the ORIGINAL Q).
Yes, the sensor is small, but the optics of "I'm Back" means that is does cover the full frame.

The small sensor does mean the images will be grainy at higher ISO settings but only about as grainy as higher ISO film was.
05-29-2020, 04:01 AM   #15
2B1
Forum Member

The best of luck to them, a little bulky , but they have reached their financial target.