Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

ME Super - shutter curtain stuck

I got an ME Super not to long ago and it was my first foray into film. I liked it so much, I got another ME Super for a very cheap price but it was also a risk I was willing to take.

The camera itself is in very good condition, but I can't wind the camera. It stops after about 90 degrees. When I press the shutter button, nothing seems to happen and it seems a tad stiff. When I open the back, I can see the mirror and I know that there is supposed to be the shutter curtain. I am assuming that is stuck?

Is this problem common? More importantly is it an easy fix, worth the time for a quality repair?

Thanks in advance.

11-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried shooting in 125X or in B
That is a manual speed and needs no battteries
Also have you put a new battery?

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
I got an ME Super not to long ago and it was my first foray into film. I liked it so much, I got another ME Super for a very cheap price but it was also a risk I was willing to take.

The camera itself is in very good condition, but I can't wind the camera. It stops after about 90 degrees. When I press the shutter button, nothing seems to happen and it seems a tad stiff. When I open the back, I can see the mirror and I know that there is supposed to be the shutter curtain. I am assuming that is stuck?

Is this problem common? More importantly is it an easy fix, worth the time for a quality repair?

Thanks in advance.
09-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #3

I have the same problem can somebody answer? mine got new batteries and have tried shooting in 125X and B and nothing happens
09-20-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming you have good batteries in there and have tried the obvious stuff, it's not an "easy fix" -- somebody who knows how to do the repair has to tear the camera down to do it.

In strictly terms of quality, the ME Super is an excellent design and will reward you with years of good picture-taking if you get it fixed.

But in terms of economics, it might not be worth fixing, because there are so many ME Supers out in the world selling for low prices.

09-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is the shutter curtain open, or just the mirror stuck up?

The one I got recently had a stuck mirror/winder/shutter button. All it took was a swift whack in my hand to free it Another thing is to lightly press on the aperture lever inside the camera mount.

If those fail...and you feel up to it...is to start poking around under the bottom plate with a screwdriver if you're brave enough. But really...it's hard to mess something up under there. It's also helpful to know what goes where while winding the film advance or have a working body side-by-side for comparison. I've freed a couple stuck mechanisms with this method.

If something is broken even after this work...chances are you'll know right away. Dry-firing the camera (no film) will help to see if the issue comes back.