Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2020, 05:32 AM   #1

Cleaning Tips please

Hello Dear all

Recently I buyed Pentax K1000. She's in mechanical good conditions but I would like to make cleaning maintenance and remove dirt and some corrosion from External parts. (Attached Images9
What's the better solution (Liquid and method) for this?
Thank you very much for your support

Attached Images

06-01-2020, 07:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Try isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. It's a reasonably good solvent and it evaporates quickly.
06-01-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hard to beat Flitz products:

www.flitz.com

Widely available including Amazon.
06-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

06-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I would remove the top, for cleaning.

Step 1 wash down with a mild soap solution and a nice soft amd lld toothbrush to remove any loose crumbly bits. Let it dry.

Step 2 a clean down using cotton wool balls and isoprop alchohol. How does it look ? OK or still shabby.

Step 3 apply Brasso which has a mild scour and polish action, work on a small area at a time and test first on a small patch to make sure its not going go cause problems. It may take a lot of rubbing to get it clean. Apply Brasso in a smal, area and buff it off with a soft cloth.

Finally a wash in either warm soapy water and dried and polished with a soft cloth or a wipe down with IPA and a polish with a soft cloth. This is just to make sure any Brasso residue is removed as its quite acidic and given time can mar the finish.

The top looks like it may have pitting in the finish which may not be fixable easily but it can be improved by a clean.
06-02-2020, 12:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote

The top looks like it may have pitting in the finish which may not be fixable easily but it can be improved by a clean.
Yep, what he said^^^

That is corrosion pitting which you won't get rid of. The good news is that its the dirt in the pits which makes it look so bad. I would use IPA or even meths on the end of a cotton tip to clean out the dirt and then apply some polish or sealant to keep the dirt out and to stop the pitting getting worse. Even with the pitting still there, it will look so much better after cleaning.
06-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Yep, what he said^^^

That is corrosion pitting which you won't get rid of. The good news is that its the dirt in the pits which makes it look so bad. I would use IPA or even meths on the end of a cotton tip to clean out the dirt and then apply some polish or sealant to keep the dirt out and to stop the pitting getting worse. Even with the pitting still there, it will look so much better after cleaning.
I use a soft graphite pencil eg 6B, and a qtip to remove.
You may need several treatments!
07-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used non-acetone nail polish remover with a cotton swab with good results.
Also, white vinegar followed by isopropyl alcohol to neutralize it.
Then a metal polisher like Blue Magic.
Regardless of what you use the key is working slowly and in small sections checking for progress.

Thanks,

07-01-2020, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Something I just tested and used recently was a product called Barkeepers Friend, its a mild scourer. Looks like talcum powder in a bottle.

A little of it goes a long way. You speinkle a small amount onto a damp sponge and polish away. Need to rinse thouroughly afterwards.

Its bought an old cameras top plate up beautifully and removed some staining that was resistant to everything else.
07-04-2020, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

The best technique is ignore,...

But if it is to compelling a 7B artists pencil is soft and works like magic.
Write gently over a spot rub off with cotton wool waste.

There is little risk of liquid penetration.

But ignore is best.