Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2020, 03:38 AM   #1

Pentax Program A/Program Plus/Program A Plus

Hello Everyone,

I just bought a Pentax Program A Plus (yes it has both A and Plus in the name, see picture) and was wandering if there’s any difference to Program A/Program Plus or is it the same camera that is just branded Program A Plus in some market area? It is originally bought from Finland and I have the original manual in Finnish, so of course I can gooogle Program A/Program plus manual and compare but was just wondering if someone already knows?

Attached Images

06-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #2

They are the same. Just named differently for different markets.
06-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
They are the same. Just named differently for different markets.
Thanks. So I figured.
06-07-2020, 02:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations with a very nice and rare camera! I must admit I hadn't heard of that version.
The word Plus probably means something.
What is the fastest shutter time? 1/1000 or 1/2000?

06-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bosse Quote
Congratulations with a very nice and rare camera! I must admit I hadn't heard of that version.
The word Plus probably means something.
What is the fastest shutter time? 1/1000 or 1/2000?
Thanks! Max speed is 1/1000, same as Program Plus/Program A.
06-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is it the one reviewed here ?

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax Program Plus (called Pentax Program A in some markets) was introduced the year after the Super Program/Super A as a less expensive alternative. The Program Plus lost the Tv auto-exposure mode, TTL flash and the top shutter speed was lowered to 1/1000 s. . . .

Read more at: Pentax Program A / Program Plus - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
06-08-2020, 10:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Well that was more or less my original question. In this review (like everywhere else I have googled) it says the model was named Program A/Program Plus, depending on the market. Mine, however, is named Program A Plus. But it must be the same camera...

Last edited by Finntax; 06-08-2020 at 10:55 PM.
06-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Finntax Quote
Well that was more or less my original question. In this review (like everywhere else I have googled) it says the model was named Program A/Program Plus, depending on the market. Mine, however, is named Program A Plus. But it must be the same camera...
Looks like you have a rarity, as the "Plus" should not be there! The Program A was the name of the camera in Japan and International markets. In North America it was the Program Plus.

Who knows a dealer in North America may have received a batch of Program A's and added the "Plus" afterwards??

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 06-09-2020 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Typo
06-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Looks like you have a rarity, as the "Plus" should not be there! The Program A was the name of the camera in Japan and International markets. In North America it was the Program Plus.

Who knows a dealer in North America may have received a batch of Program A's and added the "Plus" afterwards??
It's definitely an interesting addition, as it looks like someone was trying to get the font close to that used for "Program" (only wider, so as to fill in the space), but not quite succeeding.
06-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #10

Original Poster

Phil.
Everything is of course always possible

However this camera was originally sold in Finland and I have the original manual in Finnish. So at least here this particular camera model was officially labelled Program A Plus.

I just noticed that the ”Plus” is missing from all the pictures of the camera in the manual. In the text they speak about ”Program A Plus”...
Attached Images

06-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Finntax Quote
Everything is of course always possible

However this camera was originally sold in Finland and I have the original manual in Finnish. So at least here this particular camera model was officially labelled Program A Plus.

I just noticed that the ”Plus” is missing from all the pictures of the camera in the manual. In the text they speak about ”Program A Plus”...
Maybe the camera was for the Finnish market, hence the added "Plus"?

Lots of Pentax oddities have shown up over the years, nothing surprises me. Is the "Plus" only mentioned in the attached flash page?

Phil.
06-09-2020, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Is the "Plus" only mentioned in the attached flash page?

Phil.
No, it’s on every page where the model is mentioned. But in none of the pictures.
06-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Never seen one like that. I'm guessing it's a variant for Finland. Fun find.