Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2020, 01:37 AM   #1

Replacement Camera

Hi All

Brand new around here so don't bite. I was given a P30t that's doesn't power up any more or when it does the shutter is lazy and wants wants to sit there and do nothing.

So the lenses that I have got with are: Tokina 28-70 F3.5-45 and a Sigma 10-210 F4 - 5.6. Granted not the most exciting of lenses but it's what I was given.

I am not really that interested in getting the P30t repaired.

I don't know much about the mounts and the questions I have is, can these lenses go on to the like the k1000 or anything older. The lenses do have a A mode, does that stop it from working on some bodies etc?

Anyway thanks in advanced for answering the question.

Mark

Last edited by Mark0159nz; 06-08-2020 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Added name
06-08-2020, 01:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Lenses with aperture ring and A position will work on any body with a K mount, film or digital.
06-08-2020, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark0159nz Quote
The lenses do have a A mode, does that stop it from working on some bodies etc?
The "A" on the lens means that the camera body itself can control the aperture setting and allow use of modes like Program and Shutter priority. Your P30t has Program; Av (aperture priority); and Manual modes. For Av mode you take the lens out of the A position and set the aperture on the lens itself.

The K1000 is a fully manual camera, no auto mode at all. Your lenses will work fine, just dont use the A position. If you want to retain the automation you could have a look at the Super A/Super Program model.It has P; Av; Tv; and of course Manual.
06-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark0159nz Quote
the questions I have is, can these lenses go on to the like the k1000 or anything older
Not on cameras older than the K1000, if that is what you are asking. In principle, a lens that will go on a P30 will also go on any of the K-series cameras (K2, KM, KX and K1000) and anything later than those - the M-Series, A-Series, P-Series, and right up to the latest DSLRs. This compatablity of what is broadly known as the "K Mount" over a period of 45 years is a Pentax feature only rivalled by Nikon.

A couple of caveats though : it has been known for some third party nominally K mount lenses not to fit every Pentax camera, particularly out of its era. I had a 1985 Sigma lens that would not fit my 2006 K10D camera, although it does fit a 2016 K-1 camera. Also, older "Ricoh" branded lenses willl fit but can get stuck on Pentax cameras.

Also, strictly speaking, the other K-Series cameras (K2, KX, KM) were introduced slightly before the K1000. WRT the latter, I know that there are hundreds of YouTube videos that bang on about the virtues of the K1000, but, perhaps because of that, they are pricey for what they are - a very basic and out-of-date camera even when it was launched, and the later ones are not as well made as the earlier ones. It was the bottom of the K-Series range and I would prefer any of the other K-Series over the K1000, and they could well be cheaper.

06-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you liked the P30t, those are generally extremely inexpensive... you could buy three or four for the price of a used K1000...

The P3 and P3n (Ed and nEd, since the name is written sideways on the grip so they are often confused) are also similar in concept, appearance, and functionality.

I’d suggest you spend a little bit of time here:
Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

There’s a wealth on information on features, etc. so you can get what you really want...

-Eric
06-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the input. it has been most helpful and gives me more confidence in getting the right camera. I shot with a Olympus OM2 at the moment and I quite like the classic look. The k1000 is a bit to much for me dollar wise, but thanks for the review page. It will give me plenty of reading.

Mark
06-10-2020, 10:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You would find a KX or KM a lot cheaper and they had more features than a K1000.

As the lenses are not great by your estimate you could always just put all the bits on eBay and buy more OM gear with the proceeds.