Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #1

Normal for film advance on an LX?

After the electronics sadly died on my ME Super, I bought an LX body for a walking holiday in the Albanian Alps last spring (I highly recommend Valbonne valley). No sticky mirror or any issues on the LX, except....

If I've not taken a shot for a day or so, when I pull the film advance there is a very slight 'notchiness' at first, then it advances normally and smoothly. It's the same with or without film loaded. It's not something I'm used to on the ME Super, so I just got into the habit of leaving it wound on after each shot. Is that slight 'notchiness' (for want of a better word) normal or does it indicate something sinister?

Thanks

06-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What do you mean by "notchiness"? My LX advances consistently and smoothly. Yours could possibly need a lubrication, so it might be worth a CLA.
06-09-2020, 02:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
'Notchiness' is about the only word I could think of. It's just not completely smooth. It feels as if it's slightly catching right near the start of winding. But it's just briefly at the beginning, the advance lever never feels as if it won't wind on properly. And I think I probably only noticed it because it's not there if I've just taken a shot.

Probably would disappear with a service. I may not need an LX as I'm not shooting much film and quite enjoying an MG I got cheaply (I also have access to four K1000s). If I do sell I'd like to know it's not some well known LX achilles heel that would render it unusable at some point before moving it on?
06-09-2020, 04:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The LX had the ability to accurately rewind for multiple exposures. The mechanics of the film advance mechanism might be different from what you are used to. Or a service could clear up the problem.

The deal breaker with the LX is the availability of spares, as well as repair techs willing and able to take it on. If yours works, enjoy it. I still have mine, bought new, but film is not really part of my workflow anymore.

06-09-2020, 11:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does it make any difference if you tack the slack up with the rewind crank before advancing?
06-10-2020, 05:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Does it make any difference if you tack the slack up with the rewind crank before advancing?
That's an interesting idea. I'll give it a go. Although I don't often shoot film with this and there's none in there now.

If that does make a difference, what would that suggest?
06-12-2020, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi mattb,

'notchiness' is a hard one to describe however I think my LX was a bit like that too.
I had it serviced recently and the film advance and rewind were noticeably much smoother afterwards. I'd guess that a service/CLA may fix this - IMO the camera is worth it too. Sure parts can be a problem however if it's just lubrication etc that's needed then it won't be an issue.
06-12-2020, 03:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Hi mattb,

'notchiness' is a hard one to describe however I think my LX was a bit like that too.
I had it serviced recently and the film advance and rewind were noticeably much smoother afterwards. I'd guess that a service/CLA may fix this - IMO the camera is worth it too. Sure parts can be a problem however if it's just lubrication etc that's needed then it won't be an issue.
Great, thankyou. It's re-assuring to know it will probably go away with a good service.

06-12-2020, 08:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb Quote
That's an interesting idea. I'll give it a go. Although I don't often shoot film with this and there's none in there now.

If that does make a difference, what would that suggest?
It may increase the resistance slightly which may 'even out' as you advance. I seem to be forever taking up slack with the rewind knob (so I can check frame advance) on many cameras - much more frequently than I seem to remember compared to the 'past' (in all cameras).