Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #1

Pentax SV viewfinder (same as KX?)

Hi all,

quick question, I need an M42 body and I used to shoot a KX. I found it to have the best viewfinder for shooting with glasses from all K bodies I've tried, but I sold it. Since the KX was based on earlier M42 models, does this mean the finder of the SV is identical?

Many thanks

06-10-2020, 11:28 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I don't know what you mean by identical, but I do own both bodies for comparison and also have copies of the manuals. The eyepiece frames are slightly different dimensions and the view through the viewfinders is quite different. That on the KX is significantly brighter and while having the same magnification as the SV (1.0x with 55mm lens), the frame coverage on the KX (spec'd at 93%) is greater than that of the SV which is similar overall to that on the Spotmatic and Spotmatic II. The Pentax M42 viewfinder specification closest to the KX would is found on the Spotmatic ES, Spotmatic F, and Spotmatic ESII. That said, the finder on my KX is still brighter than that on my SP F.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-10-2020 at 11:45 PM.
06-10-2020, 11:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ok thanks Steve. I just got glasses last year and its changed my preference for cameras a lot, if the eyepoint and magnification isn't right then I don't bother with it. For example my Canon P is out, as is the MX. I know there are workarounds like diopters and I've tried them, but they don't suit my shooting style. I have a 50mm macro takumar that I want to try for landscapes to see if it can replace my micro-nikkor 55mm.

I guess I could always go the adapter route, but I love old unmetered cameras. Probably I will just pick up an SV or S1a and see how we get along!

Cheers
06-11-2020, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doddle Quote
Ok thanks Steve. I just got glasses last year and its changed my preference for cameras a lot, if the eyepoint and magnification isn't right then I don't bother with it. For example my Canon P is out, as is the MX.
Comparing my MX and SV, the SV has a lot less magnification (obviously) and the VF is generally dimmer, but it certainly has a lot more relaxed eyepoint relief (if that's the right word?). I think it would work well for a glasses wearer.

I don't think the KX and SV viewfinders share anything in common. The SV was a much earlier camera, coming out before the m42 Spotmatic line.

FWIW the SV is an absolute gem, one of the nicest mechanical SLR's I've used.

06-11-2020, 06:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The Spotmatic II is very similar to the KX.
However the KX has the judas window and the speed indicator which was new for it.
Pentax Spotmatic Screen
Pentax KX_Viewfinder

I would also give the M-series a try, those VF are awesome!
06-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doddle Quote
if the eyepoint and magnification isn't right then I don't bother with it.
Eyepoint (aka eye relief, the distance from the eyepiece at which the full frame is still visible) is a sticky problem that may make eyeglass use a huge issue depending on a person's nose and prescription. I am unable to use any of my rangefinder cameras with my eyeglasses on and of my 35mm SLRs, only the Exaktas work and then only with the waist-level finder.

My solution for the SLRs has been eyepiece correction diopters and while those generally work well, it is hard to find the Pentax series to fit the M42 and K-series cameras. The fit is tight, but I have been using Nikon for FG/EM on those Pentax models. I have read that Olympus for OM will work as well, but have not tried them. Fortunately, my presbyopia is mild enough that I can manage the rangefinders without glasses and, strangely enough, the prism finders for the Exaktas have magnification usable without correction for me.

Good luck on finding something that works for you!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-11-2020 at 08:43 AM.