Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which vintage Pentax camera is correct for this flash unit?

I received this flash unit from another member here and it is in perfect working order, so I was wondering what camera it came on originally. The camera needs to have a non hot shoe flash mount.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo 
06-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #2

Any of the Spotmatics since they don't have hot shoes. The Super-Lite II manual shows the II with an Spotmatic F so I would guess the Super-lite came out with the ES.

There is a crack on the panel level with the "Super-Lite" label.
06-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was thinking that a Spotmatic would be correct but my SP II has a hot shoe, so I should look for an earlier model. Yes, it has a small crack but that does not effect how it works.
06-13-2020, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
I was thinking that a Spotmatic would be correct but my SP II has a hot shoe, so I should look for an earlier model. Yes, it has a small crack but that does not effect how it works.
Hot shoe or cold shoe doesn't matter as long as the camera has a flash terminal.

06-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IIRC, these flashes entered the catalog about the same time as the Spotmatic II. As with all Spotmatics, there are PC sync ports for both FP and X sync.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Hot shoe or cold shoe doesn't matter as long as the camera has a flash terminal.
This ^ ^ ^

Addendum: There were also Super-lite II (featured in SPII manual, p42) and Super-lite III models from about the same time period.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-13-2020 at 02:52 PM.
06-13-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I forgot to address your exact question...

I was wondering what camera it came on originally.
The flashes were sold as accessories, but would not have been available in North America due to distributor Honeywell having their own competing flash line.

The camera needs to have a non hot shoe flash mount.
One can mount a cold mount flash on a hot mount camera with no issues, even flash having metal foot. It is the reverse situation (hot shoe flash on metal cold shoe) that is ill-advised since the shoe may create a short circuit to the flash.*

Steve

* Whether this is true depends on the flash. For example, I have a Vivitar hot shoe flash that is safe on a metal shoe when the PC sync cord is connected. My Yongnuo speedlights are not similarly safe and require a non-conductive shoe.
06-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #7

I'm really striking out on model history. The M42 camera database is arranged with the oldest models on topwhere as the K-mount DSLR models are arranged with the newest on top!

So the ES comes after the Spotmatic F. Doh!

The "late" Spotmatic System brochure on pentax-manuals.com shows the II on a Spotmatic.or Spotmatic II (I don't know how to tell the difference). The link to the "early" brochure is broken. Well so is the late link but you can figure out how to fix it.

06-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I'm really striking out on model history. The M42 camera database is arranged with the oldest models on topwhere as the K-mount DSLR models are arranged with the newest on top!

So the ES comes after the Spotmatic F. Doh!

The "late" Spotmatic System brochure on pentax-manuals.com shows the II on a Spotmatic.or Spotmatic II (I don't know how to tell the difference). The link to the "early" brochure is broken. Well so is the late link but you can figure out how to fix it.
The SPII has a hot shoe and is the camera pictured. Earlier Spotmatics don't have a built on accessory shoe.

Steve
06-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So from what I have found, the cold shoe mount is an optional part that mounts on the viewfinder of the early Spotmatic.
Attached Images

06-19-2020, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sure looks good on a Pentax SV
But the Super-Lite should have been fitted on the Spotmatic to be correct.
The manuals I've seen for the SV does not show any flash accessories.
Attached Images

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 06-19-2020 at 02:58 PM. Reason: added more info
06-19-2020, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those old flashguns certainly had character (along with the occasional HV trigger).
06-19-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have done some research and from what I have found out is that the Super-Lite is marked in the user manuals for Spotmatic and SP500.
The pics shows the Norwegian manual for SP500 and a Canadian price list from the Spotmatic era.

As a curiosity, the Norwegian manual stats that the product is not for sale in Norway.
Attached Images

06-19-2020, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For info, english version of the same page, this time from a Spotmatic manual.
(The Swedish Spotmatic manual I have does not mention any flashes).
Attached Images

06-19-2020, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
For info, english version of the same page, this time from a Spotmatic manual.
(The Swedish Spotmatic manual I have does not mention any flashes).
Based on comments here and on the other thread (LINK), the cold-shoe Super-Lite was pictured in Spotmatic manuals as early as 1969 and as late as 1971 in the SP 500 manual. Whether it was fully supplanted by the Super-Lite II after 1971 is hard to say. After all, the SP continued until 1973 and the lower cost SP 500 and SP 1000 continued until 1974 and 1976, respectively; with all three lacking a hot shoe, there was probably a market for the less capable cold shoe flash.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-19-2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: accuracy
06-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That SV does look good with that flash.

Now I just need to find me an inexpensive early Spotmatic with a cold shoe. 😉