Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Chris, do you have info regarding the prices of these cameras at the time they were current?
My Black MX with 50mm F2.0 was 129 in 1981. I remember it well as I spent part of my first term university grant on it! The black cost an extra 10.

11-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
My Black MX with 50mm F2.0 was 129 in 1981.
That's under $240 at the 1981 exchange rate, a pretty good price.

Chris
11-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
My Black MX with 50mm F2.0 was 129 in 1981. I remember it well as I spent part of my first term university grant on it! The black cost an extra 10.
Thanks for the price info. I was in primary school in London back in '81 and 129 would have seemed like a fortune to me. I remember there were these Nike trainers I wanted my mum to buy me that cost 25, and those were way too expensive for her.

I'd love a black MX Right now on eBay, black MEs or MXs go for a lot more than their chrome counterparts. I believe it's because of their superior functionality
11-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first Pentax was an ME, then I got a K2, then an MX, and finally an LX. Even though I'd rank the LX as tops, followed by the K2, the MX, and the ME, I think the ME feels the best.

11-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
My first Pentax was an ME, then I got a K2, then an MX, and finally an LX. Even though I'd rank the LX as tops, followed by the K2, the MX, and the ME, I think the ME feels the best.
IMO the MX is too small for a manual camera - all those controls placed so close together!
The same body size is perfect though for the simplified automatic operation of the ME.

Chris
11-05-2008, 05:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IMO the MX is too small for a manual camera - all those controls placed so close together!
The same body size is perfect though for the simplified automatic operation of the ME.

Chris
I agree with you somewhat, although if an MX were my only camera, I could still be quite happy. The K2 and LX were my main cameras and I used the MX as a back-up body loaded with higher speed film. It doesn't take up much room in the bag, but is just as capable as my main cameras.
11-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I agree with you Chris regardnig the size of the MX. I didn't have a problem with the placement of the dials but it is too small for those with average or large hands. However, when you put the optional winder on it is a whole new ballgame IMO. I found the MX with the winder in place to be a perfect fit for me.

Tom G
11-26-2008, 06:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I recently picked up a 2nd LX. I put in a lowball bid and won it. eBay is crazy these days... I also received a black ME Super I ordered a while ago. It's in great shape and I've loaded it with film to test-run it.

Pics with the MX came out fine, but I think I'll sell it. I cannot justify having all these film cameras. I'll also sell one of the LX's. I'll be keeping the SuperProgram (that will likely go to my wife), the ME Super (I just wish it had a little grip like the SuperProgram) and the LX (which is simply a beautiful camera and a joy to use).

Last edited by Miserere; 12-01-2008 at 10:31 AM.
11-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Well, when the time comes for film backup, an MX is pretty high on my list. (Anyone who finds the controls too small, well, I can deal. I have the hands for em. )

(If I can interject a quick question? ME Supers are OK by me, too, but sometimes the shutter-lock rings are real nail-breakers. Is there a fix for this, should it come up?)
11-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, when the time comes for film backup, an MX is pretty high on my list. (Anyone who finds the controls too small, well, I can deal. I have the hands for em. )

(If I can interject a quick question? ME Supers are OK by me, too, but sometimes the shutter-lock rings are real nail-breakers. Is there a fix for this, should it come up?)
Shorter nails?

Steve

(Would love an MX, but sadly, hands are way, way, way too big...)
11-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #26
Site Supporter

If required Eric will adjust the mode collar release on the ME/ ME Super with CLA.

Chris
11-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #27
Moderator PEG Judges

The LX is just a joy to use, spend the money, you'll love it forever.
11-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #28
Ole
Administrator

Regarding the K2 DMD - didn't it also have an exposure lock (which the K2 doesn't have)?

That might be worth the extra price for the DMD over the regular model.
11-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #29
Site Supporter

The K2DMD adds exposure memory lock, in-finder aperture readout, motor drive capability and several back options.
Unfortunately the K2DMD is far rarer than the original K2, and sells for 2-4 times the price.

BTW I have always wondered why Pentax didn't include exposure memory lock on the LX...

Chris
11-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
The LX is just a joy to use, spend the money, you'll love it forever.
One day, I'm sure one will come along, for now, (Always wanted an excuse, reallly: now, there's other things to worry about.

As ME Super dials go, ...it's not just about nails, it's about this time a friend handed me one to cover something, and it took me twenty minutes to get the thing unlocked. I'd used the camera before, and it was always pretty stiff, but that one day....