Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
One day, I'm sure one will come along.
Well, if you're interested in my 2nd one, shoot me a PM.

12-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have to agree with the ME Super (and SuperProgram) dial complaints. The locks on the LX and MX are wayyyyyy better. It doesn't seem to matter whether my nails are long or short, getting the dial from Lock to Auto and back just sucks.
12-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I have to agree with the ME Super (and SuperProgram) dial complaints. The locks on the LX and MX are wayyyyyy better. It doesn't seem to matter whether my nails are long or short, getting the dial from Lock to Auto and back just sucks.
Try doing it outside in the winter when your fingers are numb from the cold.
12-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, if you're interested in my 2nd one, shoot me a PM.
Oh, I'd love to. Especially for one that's a known quantity. Only thing is, I don't even have any Pentax *glass* right now, (I actually have a K20 on the way, and I'll order something as soon as I'm sure that all has gone through.) Basically, unless my relatives decide they'd like to send a bunch of cash this Yule, my budget's pretty pinned for the next two months. Conversation could go, "Get yourself something nice to wear, you raggamuffin!" *holding up LX.* "This goes with everything."

Anyway, there's no real need for a Pentax film body till I get hold of a couple lenses: the DSLR and a 50 (just possibly an 18-50) will just ride with an old Canon no matter how light I'm going.

If you're in no particular hurry, though, great, if you've still got it when I'm ready. I promise a good home. I'll drop you a PM just for records, if nothing else.

12-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Well, I couldn't resist an offer: someone was pretty much giving away an ME Super with cosmetic issues. Hopefully a little TLC, and I'll have a good runner.

I was wondering, though, how involved having the plates off might be. It may be such that I may as well replace from a parts camera or even custom-paint them while I have a check for any corrosion or anything inside somewhere down the road. Anyone serviced these?
12-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, I couldn't resist an offer: someone was pretty much giving away an ME Super with cosmetic issues. Hopefully a little TLC, and I'll have a good runner.

I was wondering, though, how involved having the plates off might be. It may be such that I may as well replace from a parts camera or even custom-paint them while I have a check for any corrosion or anything inside somewhere down the road. Anyone serviced these?
taking off the bottom plate is pretty straight forward but taking off the top plate is a complicated and time consuming ordeal with a lot of little screws and other parts. you basically have to teard down most of the camera to get the top plate off. I still have an MX in pieces... I wouldn't recommend removing the top plate to anyone.
12-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Hrm. Well, OK. I wouldn't have expected an *MX* to be any more difficult than similar cameras, but with the ME Super there's those plastic bits around the shutter that I have no idea how they might connect. I'll consider myself well-cautioned on that. And hope the one I get doesn't have a tight mode dial.

12-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #38
Banned

I got as far as I could get before I started to need a few specialized tools. never got around to finishing the teardown. so it sits, in a box, in pieces.
12-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Well, no hurry, or anything. Perhaps I'll pick up a parts camera and/or get hold of a service manual before I try anything like that, make sure it doesn't take any tools I can't get or make.
12-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Eric... I keep hearing of this Eric.

Though I'm not sure this body will be one to hire others to work on, depends what we're starting with. I'd probably sooner pay for a CLA on something a bit more special down the road. (And I've got a little queue of faithful Canons that deserve it, too.)
12-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #41
Veteran Member

A little update: The ME Super arrived today, and looks about a light-seal job away from fully-serviceable. (And many thanks to Nick Siebers for his practically free-to-good home sale on the marketplace: this is a real help toward kitting out.)

No mode-dial fault, and it seems that the only worry to really justify opening the casing would be longer-term (in case whatever caused a bit of corrosion on the shoe contact, etc, might be working on the inside somewhere.) Otherwise, anything that might be wrong would take more precision than I'm equipped for to deal with.

Pretty good. I'd forgotten *just* how tiny these are without a winder on there. I think my only design complaint about these is how manual metering is a bit of a pain, (who thought putting the under/overexposure LED's that far apart and one way the heck down in a corner was a good idea, I dunno,) but the finder's just that nice it may be worth dealing with, even given a choice. )

Should serve.
12-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #42
Site Supporter

I don't have an MX body and am looking for a good one. However, I do have a good K2 that I got from Monochrome earlier this year. I like it a lot. I also have a SuperProgramA and I like it due to some of its features. However, if forced to pick, I'd definately take the K2 over the SuperProgram any day of the week. One of the things that interests me about the MX is the viewfinder. With the exception of the LX, it has the most magnification of any Pentax film camera that I know of. I must admit, I like using the Spot F or K1000 as much as any film camera when it comes down to it.

Edit: I'll reiterate, the MX has the largest magnification outside the LX and also has interchangeable focusing screens.
12-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Ah, there's just no flies on that MX. For the size? ....Not that I'd sneeze at a K2 over that: I'm used to Canon FTbs. But they made a good size for me when they made the MX and LX, and I just love a good finder. But who doesn't.
12-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Yes, those dials stink. My worst one is the Super Program where the rubber "grip strip" around the dial slips (rotates around the dial). I have to resort to more of a two-finger pinch to turn the wheel.
03-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I knew this would happen

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't have an MX body and am looking for a good one. However, I do have a good K2 that I got from Monochrome earlier this year. . . .
Last week I put a low-ball bid in on a K2DMD and sort of forgot about it. Imagine my surprise when I checked my email to find an invoice!!

So it came in the mail today - split-prism focusing screen w/ micro-prism ring(!), not a mark on it, no brassing, no seals or foam issues. Built like a tank and weighs a ton.

Thankfully there were no batteries in the chamber. I Stopped at Walgreens on the way home and got a couple SiOx (surprise) batteries, live meter, and the battery check lamp even works.

Long ago I got in the habit of cranking the rewind before opening a camera back. Sure enough, there was a roll of Kodachrome in it. I wonder how long it has been sitting?

It certainly has the stuck ASA ring so off to Eric it goes tomorrow.

I got really lucky - between Chris Platt's Spot F and this I think I am set for life with film cameras.

Now I just need to visit Schiller's and hang out with the Dektol guys.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-27-2009 at 07:15 PM.