Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2020, 05:01 AM   #1

Pentax ME SUPER - Lense stuck

Hello,

I have searched the web for some advice how to remove a lense from the body but to no avail.
The notch on the body moves slightly but it doesn't release the lense

06-27-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sound like it could be a Ricoh pin, what is the lens on the camera? Some older Ricoh or k mounts designed for Ricoh have a pin on the mount that cause problems on Pentax cameras.

Edit: Allen is right, disregard this post for manual focus cameras

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 06-27-2020 at 06:05 AM.
06-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that was my first thought but I thought the Ricoh Pin issue as only for those Pentax camera bodies with autofocus ?

the physical placement of the Ricoh Pin on such lens interferes with the Pentax autofocus system and can cause jamming of the lens when you attempt to remove it

the ME Super is manual focus only as opposed to the ME F

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax ME Super improved upon the original ME by introducing two push buttons on the top plate allowing the user to electronically dial in the desired shutter speed, giving him or her much more flexibility when shooting manually. This design was later carried over to the ME F (Pentax's first autofocus camera) and the Super A (which could set the aperture automatically and hence provided Tv and Program automation in addition to the Av and M exposure modes of the ME Super).

Other improvements over the ME was a faster top shutter speed of 1/2000 s and a warning light in the view finder when EV compensation was engaged.

Variants:
PENTAX ME Super: The original
PENTAX ME Super SE: A 'Special Edition' version was released in later years, featuring a diagonal split screen rather than a horizontal one

Read more at: Pentax ME Super - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax ME Super - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

the OP needs to identify what lens is on the camera, is it a Pentax lens or a third party lens

and welcome to the forum, cheeze_mask, you will find friendly members and knowledge here

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-27-2020 at 06:12 AM.
06-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cheeze_mask Quote
Hello,

I have searched the web for some advice how to remove a lense from the body but to no avail.
This sounds like you are saying the release lever is jammed and not allowing you to fully depress it - is that what you mean? Or is the button working correctly and the lens is still stuck?

06-28-2020, 04:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This sounds like you are saying the release lever is jammed and not allowing you to fully depress it - is that what you mean? Or is the button working correctly and the lens is still stuck?
I can press the leaver and it appears to be able to depress fully. However I can't rotate the lense.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Sound like it could be a Ricoh pin, what is the lens on the camera? Some older Ricoh or k mounts designed for Ricoh have a pin on the mount that cause problems on Pentax cameras.
The lense is this one:
Pentax 50mm f/1.7 SMC-M
06-28-2020, 05:25 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I can press the leaver and it appears to be able to depress fully. However I can't rotate the lense.

The lense is this one:
Pentax 50mm f/1.7 SMC-M
nice lens, I just got a copy

as far as helping, I can't sorry
06-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The lense is this one:
Pentax 50mm f/1.7 SMC-M
If you shine a bright light near where the locking pin sticks up on the mount do you see it engaged? Does it retract when the release is pushed? If it's there but won't go back in you may be able to try very thin metal tools like spark plugs shims to work it down.

06-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This may sound insulting, but it’s not meant to be... are you turning the lens the correct way?

First time I got hold of a Nikon, I couldn’t get the lens off because it comes off clockwise and Pentaxes come off counter-clockwise.

-Eric
06-28-2020, 11:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A common problem is a sugary liquid getting around the base of the lens. Many times it can be loosened with warm water applied with a cotton swab which is wiped off after a few seconds with the procedure repeated many times.
06-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
A common problem is a sugary liquid getting around the base of the lens. Many times it can be loosened with warm water applied with a cotton swab which is wiped off after a few seconds with the procedure repeated many times.
NO ! don't do this...

QuoteQuote:
A common problem is a sugary liquid getting around the base of the lens.
NEVER ever heard of this !! How would a "sugary liquid" get there ???!!!
06-28-2020, 11:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have seen something similar on a Chinon. The release button will appear to work but the locking pin doesnt move enough. The locking pin on the camera mount can get gummed up or be slightly bent or damaged and because the release button is plastic it will shift a bit as the plastic its made from bends but its not disengaging the lock pin.

Solution, either get something like a feeler guage between the lens and the body CAREFULLY and try to get it between the locking pin and the lens OR jiggle the lens left and right a bit ( there is usually a tiny amount of play in the lens) while keeping some pressure on the unlocking lever. The jiggling of the lens may persuade the pin to retract.

It could be someone has tried to force the lens off and bent the pin slightly or it could be gummed up. Once the lens is off examine the pin, if all looks good use an old and dry toothbrush to give the pin and its immediate surround a bit of a scrub to get any grot out, cover the lens opening while you do that so nothing goes onto the mirror or anywhere else inside the camera. A teeny amount of lithium grease or very light oil on the pin and working the button a few times should help it stay smooth. And I do mean a tiny amount, like a pin head sized blob, you dont want stray grease and oil around in that part of the camera.

Good luck.
06-29-2020, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
You would be amazed... When I worked customer service for a camera repair company, I saw an amazing number of bizarre things people got all in their cameras...

Dirt, of course... "My camera has never been outdoors; it is kept in a hermetically sealed environment; there's no way it got dirt and sand in it. The only time it's been out is when my son took it on a hiking trip to the Colorado mountains two weeks ago... ooooh..." (Pentax IQZoom)

Insects... We had a flash that wouldn't work because it was literally full of cockroaches... you can't un-see that... the tech screamed like a small child as tiny roaches scurried all over his desk (Some kind of flash I don't recall...)

Salt water... will basically cement any two pieces of anything metallic to each other as they corrode. It only takes a little spray and some time, especially if there's sand to make it worse... and it's basically invisible... (Several cameras of various sorts, usually with visible corrosion on screws)

Soda or other sweetened liquids (coffee, tea, whatever). Was your camera around your neck when you were drinking something and got bumped? Did you set the camera down in a little puddle of liquid? Did it go to a raucous concert with you? The liquids will drain into any crevices or whatever and dry, leaving nothing but corrosive, decaying syrup. (A police officer from North Carolina gave me a dressing-down "There can't be Coke in my camera, I only drink Pepsi")

Spaghetti sauce... really... guy dropped it in a big vat of tomato sauce while it was cooking... was taking photos for his restaurant... voids your warranty in case anyone was wondering... (Canon AE1 Program)

-Eric
06-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
A common problem is a sugary liquid getting around the base of the lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Common perhaps for users who routinely drink sweet tea while shooting.

Steve
06-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hello,

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

A few questions:
  • Did you put the lens on the camera?
  • Have you ever put a lens on or taken a lens off a Pentax camera before?
I know these are simple questions, but the reason why I ask is because there are very few situations where a Pentax-M 50/1.7 might get stuck on an ME Super body. The other reason I ask is because removal of a lens does not involve a "notch".

Steve
06-29-2020, 11:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Good call there Steve. It now makes me wonder if they are pressing the right button.