Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-30-2020, 01:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
A common problem is a sugary liquid getting around the base of the lens. Many times it can be loosened with warm water applied with a cotton swab which is wiped off after a few seconds with the procedure repeated many times.
I have also never heard of this ‘common problem’... Really?

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
First time I got hold of a Nikon, I couldn’t get the lens off because it comes off clockwise and Pentaxes come off counter-clockwise.
Yep this threw me for ages when I got my first F...

07-02-2020, 06:42 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

A few questions:
  • Did you put the lens on the camera?
  • Have you ever put a lens on or taken a lens off a Pentax camera before?
I know these are simple questions, but the reason why I ask is because there are very few situations where a Pentax-M 50/1.7 might get stuck on an ME Super body. The other reason I ask is because removal of a lens does not involve a "notch".

Steve
Steve I thought posts 4 and 5 cleared this up, but perhaps not.
07-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Steve I thought posts 4 and 5 cleared this up, but perhaps not.
Hard to say. It never hurts to ask.

QuoteOriginally posted by cheeze_mask Quote
can press the leaver and it appears to be able to depress fully. However I can't rotate the lense.
There are few things that might result in standard K-mount lens or adapter not being removeable. They include:
  • Damaged retention pin or release lever
  • Severely damaged mount tang(s) on lens or body
  • Force mounted in wrong orientation (happens some times with adapters) or in wrong direction (damaged limiter spring on body)
  • Overrun of aperture ring coupling tab on the body side of the mount by the lens-side coupler (damaged coupler tabs or manufacturing fault)
I have encountered the last case with a Zenit Automat body. What worked there was to move the lens aperture ring to the full open position to provide some play and the ability to partially rotate the lens in the mount. With patience, I was able to eventually get the lens off.

The first case (bad retention pin) is a tough one, but might yield to an auto mechanic's feeler gauge as suggested by @Uncle Vanya;. The K-mount is spring loaded and allows for a small degree of flex to allow for that attempt.

Good luck.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-02-2020 at 10:35 AM.
07-03-2020, 11:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've had the opposite problem with a KX, the lens locking pin doesn't lock the lens.

07-04-2020, 07:36 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I've had the opposite problem with a KX, the lens locking pin doesn't lock the lens.
Maybe you and the OP need to get together... Between you, you might average out two working cameras

-Eric
07-09-2020, 06:35 AM   #21

Original Poster
I know these are simple questions, but the reason why I ask is because there are very few situations where a Pentax-M 50/1.7 might get stuck on an ME Super body. The other reason I ask is because removal of a lens does not involve a "notch".
This is the "notch" video

video 2 - closer

Did you put the lens on the camera?
Have you ever put a lens on or taken a lens off a Pentax camera before?
Yes and yes. I also have Pentax SFXn.

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Good luck.
Thanks but I don't think it's coming off. It's very unlikely that I dropped any liquid on it. I have been to Thailand with this camera 3 years ago. I don't remember what I had this problem with lense but it was probably a few months after.

Last edited by cheeze_mask; 07-09-2020 at 07:08 AM.
07-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is the "notch" video
The release lever mechanism appears to be broken.

The feeler gauge strategy mentioned above may be your best option. The ME Super service manual is available for free download at the page linked below. In it is an exploded parts diagram for the camera that might prove helpful in visualizing how the release lever works.

Pentax Manuals | Service manuals

Good luck.

Yes and yes. I also have Pentax SFXn.
Sorry for the dumb questions. With new members it is not unusual for the person to have zero experience with the basics of using their camera.

Steve

07-10-2020, 01:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

The release lever mechanism appears to be broken.
I've been studying the OP's video and comparing to my own ME Super. I've also been looking at the part in question in the service manual. It really is a puzzle. The visible black plastic part is moulded onto a flat brass lever which in turn has a steel pin going through it at 90 degrees. The steel pin protrudes from both sides of the brass lever. The shorter side of the pin engages with the hole in the lens and locks it. The longer side of the pin goes into the body and has a small spring around it which pushes the pin into the hole in the lens when correctly aligned. From the video it is obvious that the spring is working and the lever does seem to have its full range of movement.

I can only assume that the short side of the pin has sheared off but the broken part of the pin is still stuck in both the lens and the body. Alternatively, there is nothing wrong with the release lever and pin and there is something else preventing the lens coming off. Good luck to the OP in getting it fixed. The only thing I would suggest is to turn the camera so that the lens is pointing directly upwards, operated the lever while gently tapping the body in the hope that the broken pin falls out of the hole in the lens back into the body............but that is clutching at straws.

Edit, just had a thought. Perhaps the brass lever has lost its grip on the steel pin and although the lever still moves under spring pressure, the pin itself is not moving. I'm not sure there is going to be a fix for that.
07-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I've been studying the OP's video and comparing to my own ME Super. I've also been looking at the part in question in the service manual. It really is a puzzle. The visible black plastic part is moulded onto a flat brass lever which in turn has a steel pin going through it at 90 degrees. The steel pin protrudes from both sides of the brass lever. The shorter side of the pin engages with the hole in the lens and locks it. The longer side of the pin goes into the body and has a small spring around it which pushes the pin into the hole in the lens when correctly aligned. From the video it is obvious that the spring is working and the lever does seem to have its full range of movement.

I can only assume that the short side of the pin has sheared off but the broken part of the pin is still stuck in both the lens and the body. Alternatively, there is nothing wrong with the release lever and pin and there is something else preventing the lens coming off. Good luck to the OP in getting it fixed. The only thing I would suggest is to turn the camera so that the lens is pointing directly upwards, operated the lever while gently tapping the body in the hope that the broken pin falls out of the hole in the lens back into the body............but that is clutching at straws.

Edit, just had a thought. Perhaps the brass lever has lost its grip on the steel pin and although the lever still moves under spring pressure, the pin itself is not moving. I'm not sure there is going to be a fix for that.
Yep, your analysis mirrors mine. This is not going to be an easy fix and I suspect that at very least, the cover behind adjacent to the mount will have to be wasted along with a few other things to free the lens.

Steve
07-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

I have searched the web for some advice how to remove a lense from the body but to no avail.
The notch on the body moves slightly but it doesn't release the lense
After watching your video I wonder if you could force the button down and then use some very long narrow precision tweezers to reach in and manipulate the pin. You might need to wiggle the lens back and forth while doing it and I agree that pointing it up would be smart to let gravity try to help.

Something like this? Excelta - 5-SA-SE Micro Fine Tapered Tip Tweezers, 4.25"

Or this?
https://www.grainger.com/product/32NF02?!439063557338!