Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #1

Difference between PZ-1 and PZ-1P

Hey guys,

Now that I've got my dream manual Pentax in the form of the KX, it's time to set my sights on my dream auto-everything camera: the PZ-1(P).

I've noticed that the PZ-1P sells for significantly more than the PZ-1. Is it really that much better than the PZ-1, or is the improvement really minimal and you pay a premium for the name? If the cameras are basically the same with minimal improvement, I'll just stick with the PZ-1 (theory of diminishing returns and all that).

11-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you go back a few months there is a thread on this topic. I believe the big issues are Mirror lockup and higher frame rate on the 1P.

both are great cameras, I personally have the PZ-1
11-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lowell nailed it. When PZ1p came out I sold my PZ1 bodies for mirror lock and faster frame rate on PZ1p. Also has what Pentax literature calls, "newly developed natural-bright-matte focusing screens" that are user interchangeable. I personally used the Golden Section (FK-60) screens that have lines--horizontal, vertical and diagonal that enhance the "rule of thirds" or "golden section" in the viewfinder. Wish this screen design was available for other cameras as I still like it a lot.
Note that the panorama mode is an in-camera panorama mask. Not something that most people ever use. Just crop after the fact, duh.
If you are doing landscapes or macro or any other tripod based work, mirror lock up is almost required. If you are a hand-held street photography person, neither faster frame rate nor mirror-lock will mean much.
By the way, one of my very used PZ1p's could be pryed from my hands for about the same money as a less used PZ1 body. Yes, rule-of-thirds screen included...
11-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

IIRC the PZ-1P manual metering display is much better than the PZ-1.
A good way to compare would be to consult the online manuals at pentaximaging.com

Chris

11-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IIRC the PZ-1P manual metering display is much better than the PZ-1.
A good way to compare would be to consult the online manuals at pentaximaging.com

Chris
You're right, Chris. The PZ-1 just has over/under indicators, whereas the PZ-1P tells you how much you are off, in 1/3 stop increments, to +/- 2 EV.

Which decides it for me, because I like the graph-like metering of the PZ-1P much more than the simple indicators of the PZ-1. It recalls the needle of a K1000, actually... and I happen to like that metering system very much!

Thanks for the help, guys!
11-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
You're right, Chris. The PZ-1 just has over/under indicators, whereas the PZ-1P tells you how much you are off, in 1/3 stop increments, to +/- 2 EV.

Which decides it for me, because I like the graph-like metering of the PZ-1P much more than the simple indicators of the PZ-1. It recalls the needle of a K1000, actually... and I happen to like that metering system very much!

Thanks for the help, guys!
Not quite right. The PZ-1 has +/- indicators and these change from solid to blinking at +/- 1 ev.

I agree but it tells you where you are in the overall scheme of things
11-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Lowell nailed it. When PZ1p came out I sold my PZ1 bodies for mirror lock and faster frame rate on PZ1p. Also has what Pentax literature calls, "newly developed natural-bright-matte focusing screens" that are user interchangeable. I personally used the Golden Section (FK-60) screens that have lines--horizontal, vertical and diagonal that enhance the "rule of thirds" or "golden section" in the viewfinder. Wish this screen design was available for other cameras as I still like it a lot.
Note that the panorama mode is an in-camera panorama mask. Not something that most people ever use. Just crop after the fact, duh.
I know that many do not find the panorama function anything special, but I really liked it. IMO, it makes a difference to do the original composition, with this in mind. Instead of cropping, and making the best of it afterwards.
I also really liked the bigger sizes one always got, when picking up the prints, containing panorama.
11-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't ever used print film--back then, magazines only accepted slides. Bigger pano prints does sound pretty cool!

11-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
It recalls the needle of a K1000, actually... and I happen to like that metering system very much!
I agree with this wholeheartedly. When I first started using the PZ-1P metering with my manual Takumars, the experience was similar enough to using the Spotmatic match needle metering that I never went back. The catch is manual focus on that screen however... that's where another subtle difference comes in...

with the PZ-1 you can... I have done this... swap the focus screen for the Split Focus Screen from a ZX-M. This is NOT something you can do with the PZ-1P. More's the pity given the "match needle" metering...

I guess you can't have everything...

woof!
11-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #10

My first and only film body was/is a PZ1p. Was living in Hawaii at the time and shot tons of landscapes and seascape with it. Loved the panorama function for the ease of getting bigger prints. Later used to to shoot snowcross races for a couple of years. I must say I miss the viewfinder information and predictive autofocus. wish my K10 worked as well in those regards. An interesting note, while I was shooting a big event in West Yellowstone I saw one other photog shooting a PZ-1p. I asked him about it and he said he preferred it to his N*** F5 for snowmobiles. He liked the predictive autofocus better and if it got wrecked he was out $900 instead of $4500. All in all I love that camera!