Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Erratic light meter on my MX

Hi, hope you're all well. I have an issue with my MX light meter. The LEDs become unstable when I touch or try to turn the shutter speed dial. They'll flash around for a bit and then usually jump up to the red over expose LED and it will get stuck there for a bit. I usually shoot 400 speed film and can set shutter speed to 1/500 and use aperture to get correct exposure with sunny 16 and the light meter works perfectly in this case. In lower light though, I need to change shutter speed and when I do, the light meter goes haywire. I don't even have to turn the shutter speed dial to create the fault, I can just wiggle it. Just wandered if you guys and girls have any insight on to how I can fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Matt

07-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Common problem, mine does the same.
07-06-2020, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine has done the same in the past.
I also had a problem where the meter would not turn on when the shutter button was pressed softly.

I ended up getting it serviced and it's been fine since then. I don't remember the details of what the technician did, however I know he definately looked at the meter operation.
Perhaps it is an electrical contacts issue?
Also a gentle reminder to check the obvious, that the battery is not going flat

And as a final thought, you could try the facebook group "Learn Camera Repair"
There is a very experienced camera repair guy on that group by the name of Eugene Pate, who is currently posting photos of a very detailed CLA on an MX...
07-06-2020, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Try exercising the ASA dial and also the speed dial to freshen up the contacts.

07-06-2020, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
This has worked for me on a number Pentax (and other) bodies. ^ ^
Very conservative amounts of electrical contact cleaner applied to those spots to be exercised can also help.

You could likely stand to benefit from a CLA; one would almost certainly address your issues as part of the process.
Dials, solder points and contacts are all in the 40-years-or-older range for the MX now. Cobwebs gots to get cleaned.
07-07-2020, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Mine has done the same in the past.
I also had a problem where the meter would not turn on when the shutter button was pressed softly.

I ended up getting it serviced and it's been fine since then. I don't remember the details of what the technician did, however I know he definately looked at the meter operation.
Perhaps it is an electrical contacts issue?
Also a gentle reminder to check the obvious, that the battery is not going flat

And as a final thought, you could try the facebook group "Learn Camera Repair"
There is a very experienced camera repair guy on that group by the name of Eugene Pate, who is currently posting photos of a very detailed CLA on an MX...
Thanks for the pointer towards that Facebook group. Such a wealth of knowledge! Eugene knows his stuff.
07-07-2020, 05:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go

---------- Post added 07-07-20 at 05:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
This has worked for me on a number Pentax (and other) bodies. ^ ^
Very conservative amounts of electrical contact cleaner applied to those spots to be exercised can also help.

You could likely stand to benefit from a CLA; one would almost certainly address your issues as part of the process.
Dials, solder points and contacts are all in the 40-years-or-older range for the MX now. Cobwebs gots to get cleaned.
Thank you for replying. I have looked in to a CLA but I have already replaced the seals, the negatives are perfect so I'm happy that the shutter speeds are correct and the light meter is accurate when the fault isn't present. I know a CLA is much more thorough and would definitely sort out the problem but 120 ($150) for a CLA to fix the light meter fault when the rest of the camera appears to work perfectly, seems too much to pay.
07-07-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdavis2412 Quote
I know a CLA is much more thorough and would definitely sort out the problem but 120 ($150) for a CLA to fix the light meter fault when the rest of the camera appears to work perfectly, seems too much to pay.
I don't know who quoted for your CLA but have you tried Miles Whitehead MWCameraRepairs
He just CLA'd my ME Super for 65 plus postage. The MX might be a bit more but not by much I'd imagine. He did a great job on my camera.

07-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I don't know who quoted for your CLA but have you tried Miles Whitehead MWCameraRepairs
He just CLA'd my ME Super for 65 plus postage. The MX might be a bit more but not by much I'd imagine. He did a great job on my camera.
Thanks for the link. My quote was from Harrow Technical.
07-08-2020, 02:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdavis2412 Quote
Thanks for the link. My quote was from Harrow Technical.
Yeah, Harrow Technical did the CLA on my MX a couple of years ago. They were expensive and I wasn't 100% happy with the camera. I felt they didn't really get the metering right. Anyway, as far as I know, Harrow Technical stopped trading a while back although Robin the owner was still doing some work under his own name.

After using Miles Whitehead for my ME Super, I wouldn't hesitate sending my other Pentax bodies to him. I might even send him the MX to get the metering right. Like I said, I was impressed by his pricing.