Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2020, 01:21 AM   #1

Ricoh XR-S film advance

Hi,

I have otherwise pretty mint Ricoh XR-S, but the film advance won't lock after advancing. I mean that you can advance as many frames as you want without taking any pictures in between. Is this normal for Ricoh cameras or is there something wrong with this one? All my other SLR's lock the film advance after advancing one frame and then it's freed when you take a picture. If it helps, XR-S is the same camera as XR-7 but with additional solar panels to charge the battery.

Otherwise this is not a problem, but I have no way of telling if the film is advanced or not, other than trying to take a picture.

-Ville-

07-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Finntax Quote
Is this normal for Ricoh cameras or is there something wrong with this one?
I have a KR-10 Super and a Sears KSX Super, both in the same family, and no, they do not work this way. The film advance locks after advancing one frame.

Aaron
07-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Is it possible the film rewind button is jammed in? ... that's the button you need to push (and maybe hold in) when rewinding film. I vaguely remember this symptom (and reason) from way back, but I'm unfamiliar with your camera.
07-08-2020, 09:25 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the XR7 (XR-S minus the solar cells). Your camera's symptoms do sound strange. A stuck rewind button would result in shutter cock, but no film advance, as would a stuck multi-exposure button. Wind on without shutter cock is another matter entirely. Are you using SR44 cells* and are they good? (The interlock uses small electromagnets.)

Steve

* The solar battery on the XR-S would have been toast a long time ago.

07-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Is it possible the film rewind button is jammed in? ... that's the button you need to push (and maybe hold in) when rewinding film. I vaguely remember this symptom (and reason) from way back, but I'm unfamiliar with your camera.
At least the outside button is in normal position, but you never know if the mechanism inside is jammed. Need to check that after this film.

---------- Post added 08-07-20 at 19:40 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have the XR7 (XR-S minus the solar cells). Your camera's symptoms do sound strange. A stuck rewind button would result in shutter cock, but no film advance, as would a stuck multi-exposure button. Wind on without shutter cock is another matter entirely. Are you using SR44 cells* and are they good? (The interlock uses small electromagnets.)

Steve

* The solar battery on the XR-S would have been toast a long time ago.
Yep, the solar battery works only in bright daylight, meaning it still gives some energy directly from sun, but won’t store any. So yes, new SR44 cells are in.

And the camera works otherwise perfectly, the film advance just won’t lock after advancing.