Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations
A couple of years ago I purchased a beater black and chrome body in worse condition than yours with some bent internals but similar cosmetics for not a lot of money. Eric subsequently refurbished it and it now goes through 2 or 3 rolls a year. I use black and white film only as that is a photographic cul de sac that I dont think can be replicated or improved by digital (unless you have deeper pockets than average).

I have since put together a little M lens kit (28-2.8; 40-2.8; 50-1.4; 50-1.7; 50-4Macro; *135-3.5; 35-70) for very little money and the kit is a lot of fun. If I ever get a K-1 then they will all be available - thereby value adding. There is also added gratification from bringing a beautiful well designed device back to working daily/monthly use that was previously creaping toward the garbage bin.

* The 90-100mm space is filled by a Tamron Macro

Enjoy!

07-09-2020, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Of course you know that 0.97X magnification on the MX is considerably bigger then a 1.05 magnification on an APS-C.
Yep, magnification tells you the apparent size of objects in the viewfinder frame when used with a particular focal length lens (50mm for the MX). It is by comparison of coverage and magnification to other 24x36mm viewfinders that virtues of the MX become apparent...
  • MX -- 95% coverage at 0.97X
  • Olympus OM-1 (97% coverage at 0.92X) (target model for the MX)
  • ME Super -- 92% coverage at 0.95X (Just a small notch off the MX)
  • KX -- 93% coverage at 0.88X (basically the same as the Spotmatic and Nikon FM)
  • MZ-S -- 92% coverage at 0.75X (not bad for an AF body)
  • K-1 -- 100% coverage at 0.71X (about the same as the MZ-S, but is like looking down a tunnel compared to an MX)
As noted many places, the K-new's viewfinder is a notch above that on the K-3/K-3II and KP and has visual utility similar to that of the K-1, only tuned for APS-C.

Steve
07-10-2020, 12:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Fantastic camera and a stellar lens, congratulations on this pick up!
I was very fortunate to grab a body-only for £35, along with a M-50/1.4 for £35.
Did the seals myself (set aside a few hours the first time you do something like that and go sloooow).
Chuffed with it, however it's given me a hankering for another so I can have one roll of colour and one roll of B&W on the go.
Great in the hand and the viewfinder is exceptional.
Can't wait to see your results with it!
07-10-2020, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I got some new silver oxide batteries today, looks like the meter is functional. I just packed it up to send to Eric for the rehab. My first time sending him anything so I hope he has a fast turnaround. Thanks all for the comments and tips.

08-04-2020, 07:46 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The MX from Eric finally came today, after being "lost" in the mail, the tracking said it arrived at the Fayetteville, NC distribution center on the morning of July 30, then no updates and "delivery date unknown" on the tracking Page, then this morning it finally left that facility, got here and was delivered. I was a little concerned that it would never show up, but it seems as although there is an occasional delay, the mail get through. Any way I it is beautiful, now I get to use it. I'll probably start with a roll of color film, because I have a few sitting around, and then go with black and white once I get the feel of it. The lens is a K 50/1.8 that was bundled with the camera (it's not been cleaned)

08-04-2020, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #21

Congrats on a great camera!

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Can a non functional winder be used as a grip?
Could be, but IMHO you'd be defeating one of the great advantages of the MX, its small size and light weight.

Aaron
08-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you want a grip, I’ve seen some 3-D printable ones that attach to the tripod socket.

They’re smaller than a winder...

-Eric
08-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
If you want a grip, I’ve seen some 3-D printable ones that attach to the tripod socket.
I came up with an example which I still use - very useful with the longer lenses to counteract the front heavyness.

09-12-2020, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #24

I also got an MX to compliment my Super Program. Sent it it out to Garry for a CLA and am looking forward to shooting with my Pentax-A 50mm f1.4. Iíve owned the Super Program Since I backpacked in Europe in 86-87. Wanted an all manual camera to compliment it.
09-20-2020, 05:27 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know I'm late but, Nice score!
It looks beautiful but most importantly it works.
Enjoy!

Thanks,
09-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #26
Forum Member

I like my black MX but there are two things that could be better:
1/ The meter LEDs could be brighter.
b/ The film advance throw is too long. My Pentax K2, ME, P30 and SuperA all have a much shorter throw.

The MX does have a super crisp shutter release which is excellent.