Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2020, 10:26 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just Got an MX

I got my first digital DSLR in 2009, a Pentax K20D. Since then I have had a few Pentax film cameras that I bought in lots for the lenses, some were OK, some beat up. I've decided to watch for a good deal to come along on a nice film camera and finally bought an MX on Mercari. $85 with a K 55/1.8 attached, and a winder MX, with no battery door. That seemed to be a decent price. Of course when you buy on a site like that it is usually somebody selling a camera they inherited in one way or the other, they have no idea if it works, you rely on their photos. Anyway, it seems in pretty good shape, a couple of dents, some debris in the viewfinder, I'm sure the seals are deteriorated, probably needs a good CLA. Mechanically everything seems to work, I've ordered some new batteries to test out the metering, it had Union Carbide batteries in it, so I don't think it has been used in ages. Once I get the batteries I will either run some film right away, or more likely just send it off to Eric for a CLA.

I don't believe I will try to fix the winder, unless someone is making new doors that would be a hard find. Can a non functional winder be used as a grip? I'm pretty happy with the lenses that came with it as it seems to be in great shape. According to the manual standard lenses kitted with the camera were the SMC 50/1.2, M 50/1.4, M 50/1.7, or M 40/2.8. Of course many camera stores made up their own kits, I can easily see a shop taking a the 55/1.8 lens out of his stock to replace a newer M 50/1.7 that he could sell for a little more.

Feel free to offer any suggestions.

Name:  20200709-Pentax KP-022.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  216.7 KB

07-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
and a winder MX, with no battery door.
I've had two of these winders with busted doors. Luckily, I still had the door and used electrical tape to stick em back on..
What's with battery doors? I'm reminded of the AF-360FGZ battery doors...

The MX is a super sexy SLR.
So ridiculously compact for 35mm...
Huge viewfinder in a solid package.
Damn.
07-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have owned a MX as my first SLR included with an winder that i had customized with an extra contact for a remote switch. (and still own it, in fact, 2 of those, camera including winder)
When the batteries of the winder where depleted, i could simply use the buttons of the camera itself. So the winder can be used as a simple grip.
07-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I coveted an MX when they were new, but as a student, they were beyond me, and I bought a K1000. A few years ago, I added a nice MX to the collection. Worth the wait!

07-09-2020, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I've had two of these winders with busted doors. Luckily, I still had the door and used electrical tape to stick em back on..
What's with battery doors? I'm reminded of the AF-360FGZ battery doors...

The MX is a super sexy SLR.
So ridiculously compact for 35mm...
Huge viewfinder in a solid package.
Damn.
The MX really was the smallest and quietest SLR on the market. I used it without problems in temperatures below 25 degrees celcius frost up to above 40 degrees celcius in Egypt. It never failed me.

The viewfinder was really superb and they didn't make anyting even close to that quality until they made the K1.
07-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
they didn't make anyting even close to that quality until they made the K1.
I'm excited to see the 1.05x magnification in the new APS-C flagship's viewfinder. It's supposed to match that of the K-1.
07-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and finally bought an MX
Congratulations. I bought my MX in 1979 and learned my photography on it. I have it today, and it still gets the occasional outing. I had the foams replaced about 15 years ago and I think it will be good for another 20 years at least. Do a regular cycling of the shutter speeds.

Great thing about the MX is the batteries are just for the meter. It is fully functioning at all speeds and apertures without batteries making it the perfect trecking film camera.

07-09-2020, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty happy with the lenses that came with it as it seems to be in great shape. According to the manual standard lenses kitted with the camera were the SMC 50/1.2, M 50/1.4, M 50/1.7, or M 40/2.8. Of course many camera stores made up their own kits, I can easily see a shop taking a the 55/1.8 lens out of his stock to replace a newer M 50/1.7 that he could sell for a little more.
The K55/1.8 was discontinued shortly after the MX came out. However as you mentioned camera stores would have had some old inventory in stock and could have used the K Series lens on a M Series body for a kit they were selling.

When I bought my KX new in late 1975, the choices I had for a Pentax k-mount standard lens were limited to three. (K50/1.2, K50/1.4 and the K55/1.8.) Pentax camera choices were the KM, KX & K2.
The K1000, K2DMD and the K55/2 came out in 1976, along with the MX.

Phil.
07-09-2020, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't believe I will try to fix the winder, unless someone is making new doors that would be a hard find. Can a non functional winder be used as a grip?
I have an MX winder that I'm never going to use. I think something is wrong with the wiring, but importantly for you, it has a battery door. You're welcome to it. Message me if interested.
07-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
I have an MX winder that I'm never going to use. I think something is wrong with the wiring, but importantly for you, it has a battery door. You're welcome to it. Message me if interested.
Thanks for the offer, at this time anyway, I don't really think I need to have it working.
07-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'm excited to see the 1.05x magnification in the new APS-C flagship's viewfinder. It's supposed to match that of the K-1.
Of course you know that 0.97X magnification on the MX is considerably bigger then a 1.05 magnification on an APS-C.

---------- Post added 07-09-20 at 06:52 PM ----------

I've decided to watch for a good deal to come along on a nice film camera and finally bought an MX on Mercari. $85 with a K 55/1.8 attached, and a winder MX, with no battery door. That seemed to be a decent price.
. . .
Congratulations on your score!

My first Pentax SLR was also an MX bought locally on CL listed as "Bagful of Pentax" and he handed it to me in a couple of plastic grocery bags. The packaging was poor but the price was right and it came with a fully functional MX. The viewfinder immediately impressed me - as well as the size and build, that it sent me down the rabbit hole of exploring these magnificent industrial masterpieces!

My only suggestion is go out there and shot something!
07-09-2020, 04:57 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got my first digital DSLR in 2009, a Pentax K20D. Since then I have had a few Pentax film cameras that I bought in lots for the lenses, some were OK, some beat up. I've decided to watch for a good deal to come along on a nice film camera and finally bought an MX on Mercari. $85 with a K 55/1.8 attached, and a winder MX, with no battery door. That seemed to be a decent price. Of course when you buy on a site like that it is usually somebody selling a camera they inherited in one way or the other, they have no idea if it works, you rely on their photos. Anyway, it seems in pretty good shape, a couple of dents, some debris in the viewfinder, I'm sure the seals are deteriorated, probably needs a good CLA. Mechanically everything seems to work, I've ordered some new batteries to test out the metering, it had Union Carbide batteries in it, so I don't think it has been used in ages. Once I get the batteries I will either run some film right away, or more likely just send it off to Eric for a CLA.

I don't believe I will try to fix the winder, unless someone is making new doors that would be a hard find. Can a non functional winder be used as a grip? I'm pretty happy with the lenses that came with it as it seems to be in great shape. According to the manual standard lenses kitted with the camera were the SMC 50/1.2, M 50/1.4, M 50/1.7, or M 40/2.8. Of course many camera stores made up their own kits, I can easily see a shop taking a the 55/1.8 lens out of his stock to replace a newer M 50/1.7 that he could sell for a little more.

Attachment 502199
Better late than never. I love the MX and now have five of them - including my original bought in 1978. By the way, the 55/1.8 is a brilliant lens, and I doubt the 50/1.7 will do a better job of resolution. Going through my slides a while ago, I was admiring the clear fine detail of Victoria BC on one I had taken from the air. On the slide was the note that the 55/1.8 was the lens used.

[IMG][/IMG]
07-09-2020, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, I can't take it. You guys have shamed me into loading up the Ektar I got for my birthday into my unused MX. I am going to blast away with it all!
07-09-2020, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Better late than never. I love the MX and now have five of them - including my original bought in 1978. By the way, the 55/1.8 is a brilliant lens, and I doubt the 50/1.7 will do a better job of resolution. Going through my slides a while ago, I was admiring the clear fine detail of Victoria BC on one I had taken from the air. On the slide was the note that the 55/1.8 was the lens used.
In no way am I disappointed getting the 55/1.8, I just noticed in the manual it was not kitted with it. The lens sealed the deal for me.
07-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Great camera. I have three and have fixed up and given or sold several others. Winder can be used as a grip, yes - the shutter button won't work, but the camera's shutter button is still comfortable to reach with the winder installed. I've had three winders and only one didn't have a broken door - the plastic screw-thread securing mechanism just doesn't last. E-tape can work if you find a door, but honestly I never, ever use mine. It was fun for the novelty a number of times but I've other auto-advance film cameras that are both faster and far quieter, making the Winder MX not much in terms of practical use. VF is easy to replace on these. Tiny lil beast of a camera. In my top-3 35mm'ers.