Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
*ist won’t fire... shutter button issue?

I got a film *ist from America’s most frustrating charity auction site.
It looks in good shape, and all the electronics come on when I put in the batteries.
It even tries to wind film when I open and close the door.

But it won’t fire, with or without a lens. And it won’t autofocus.
The manual suggests firing the camera some before loading it, so it shouldn’t be locking me out due to lack of film...
And I did turn on the “use lenses without an A setting” custom function, but that’s just habit

A light press on the shutter does turn on the meter, and it is reading the lens aperture.
It’s as if the shutter button doesn’t work.

Has anyone heard of this before? Is it repairable at home?

Thanks,

-Eric

07-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What happens if you put the focus switch into Manual focus ?
07-15-2020, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
It looks in good shape, and all the electronics come on when I put in the batteries.

The manual suggests firing the camera some before loading it, so it shouldn’t be locking me out due to lack of film...
And I did turn on the “use lenses without an A setting” custom function, but that’s just habit

A light press on the shutter does turn on the meter, and it is reading the lens aperture.

Thanks,

-Eric

First thing I'd try would be a CS-205 cable release plugged in the appropriate socket, or an infra-red remote control, if you happen to have one. These options would at least help isolate the shutter button itself or possibly suggest a failed shutter.
A totally failed shutter is probably end of story, but if it is just the shutter button, at least you've got other options for controlling the camera whilst considering repair.

Good luck
07-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The behavior is the same with manual focus or autofocus - no shutter firing.
Lens off, same thing...

I did find my infrared "Pentax compatible" remote control... and it worked once I found a battery that wasn't dead. That was a good idea
Is the CS-205 wired remote the same one as the Canon one?

It did not autofocus when it fired with the remote, but I think I have the custom function set that way, so that's fine...

So that means it really is the button (presumably)... so... how to fix a *ist button...

I have a spare (broken) ZX-L. I wonder if the buttons are swappable... and how hard that would be...

-Eric

07-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would keep exercising that button also, it may have just got a little beverage with sugar or sweetener spilled on it with will dry like a glue, but will break up after a while. I remember that on the forum at some time a few years ago.
07-15-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Generally, yes (there are some exotic Canons). If it fits snugly in the socket, you should be good.
07-15-2020, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I would keep exercising that button also, it may have just got a little beverage with sugar or sweetener spilled on it with will dry like a glue, but will break up after a while. I remember that on the forum at some time a few years ago.
This is a good idea.

Also, perhaps a good spray with electronic contact cleaner. NOT WD-40 but real electronic contact cleaner. You can get it in the electrical section at Home Depot or Lowes, I think I have seen it in the automotive section at Wal_mart. A good spritz on and around the button would be a start, without having to disassemble the camera. This cured a lot of malfunctioning e-dials on the K-R several years ago.

07-16-2020, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I did find my infrared "Pentax compatible" remote control... and it worked once I found a battery that wasn't dead. That was a good idea

So that means it really is the button (presumably)... so... how to fix a *ist button...

I have a spare (broken) ZX-L. I wonder if the buttons are swappable... and how hard that would be...

-Eric
I use a 'generic' wired remote marketed as suitable for Canon and Pentax, so that shouldn't be an issue, if the plug (2.5mm 3pole) is the same.

Even if the switch itself is similar, the chances of the circuitry it's mounted to being the same is probably low, so unless you're proficient with a needle-point soldering iron, I'd not be too optimistic. Nevertheless, it might be worthwhile disassembling the ZX-L, as it doesn't work anyway, to get an idea of the complexity of the job so's you can decide if you want to proceed further.

Good luck
01-11-2021, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #9

Thanks,

-Eric
I have a feeling I got one from the same place. It also doesn't fire with the shutter button but I put on the BG-20 grip and it fires with the shutter button on that. It's a little awkward to fire with my pinky finger but it's better than needing a remote.
09-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CaT_atomic Quote
I have a feeling I got one from the same place. It also doesn't fire with the shutter button but I put on the BG-20 grip and it fires with the shutter button on that. It's a little awkward to fire with my pinky finger but it's better than needing a remote.
Well, if there was one thing we are here for, misery loves company. My *IST is doing the same thing. The main shutter button has gone non-responsive as well but can take photos via the grip.
09-29-2021, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Well, if there was one thing we are here for, misery loves company. My *IST is doing the same thing. The main shutter button has gone non-responsive as well but can take photos via the grip.
Actually I shot a bit of Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner into the top shutter button and it works now. Avoid getting the stuff all over though since it's a cleaner so it can dissolve stuff if you spray too much.
09-30-2021, 03:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually I shot a bit of Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner into the top shutter button and it works now. Avoid getting the stuff all over though since it's a cleaner so it can dissolve stuff if you spray too much.
Did you just spray it in the cracks around the switch? Or did you disassemble anything?

-Eric
09-30-2021, 05:57 PM   #13

Did you just spray it in the cracks around the switch? Or did you disassemble anything?

-Eric
Just a little squirt between the switch and shutter button. I'd guess electrical contact cleaner would do the same thing as the maf sensor cleaner and it's cheaper.
10-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Oh good to hear it worked out for you and thanks for the tip! I'll have to find some and give it a try!
09-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the last month I picked up a Pentax *ist camera. It is very clean, but the Viewfinder Focus assembly was broken, Auto-Focus would not engage and the Shutter would not fire. So a 'parts camera' (the Seller did refund the purchase price and said "keep the camera").

I found and purchased another *ist with the Viewfinder Focus Assembly present & working. This camera also could not fire it's Shutter or engage Auto-Focus. By this time I had found this thread, so I had some ideas to test and possibly resuscitate the 2nd camera. After attaching the BG-20 Battery Grip I also bought this month, both(!) cameras could Auto-Focus and fire their shutters via the B-Grip, suggesting dirty Shutter Button contacts on both cameras.

So, in following some more advise in this thread, I applied a quick shot of Contact Cleaner to both camera's Shutter Buttons, and within 15-30 seconds both cameras started engaging Auto-Focus, firing their Shutters and the Pop-Up Flashes also engaged automatically It is too bad the 1st *ist camera still has a broken/missing Viewfinder Focus Assembly, so it remains a 'parts camera'.

Thanks Gang for posting the great advice here !

Last edited by Moe49; 09-14-2022 at 08:27 AM.